Author Topic: Which setting(s) do you use for Spacemaster (any edition)? (tick all that apply)  (Read 7837 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Some time ago, I kicked off a poll on which settings GMs used for HARP. There were a surprising variety of worlds in the results as well as strong showings by Cyradon, Shadow World (even before there was any Bazaar conversions for it), and Middle-earth. So in the same spirit of inquiry, I'm posing a similar question. If I've missed any major sf universe, post below and I'll tweak the poll.

best wishes,
Nicholas
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:27:15 AM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
My latest SM setting uses the Privateers universe right when Humans meet Orts...and then the cylons show up.

I started this setting just before the release of the new Battle Star series, and it has been a lot of fun.  The Ort/Human coalition has the tech to fight the cylons, who enjoy android like superiority in computer tech and user skills.  Lots of politics (one corperation has had cylon technology for almost a century from a captured scout ship that crashed on one of Jupiters moons), double dealing and nasty combats.

Our last sessions left off with the players inserting android spys into a cylon forward base.

I guess I should note that for Battle Star and Serenity, I do not own those games, but I base my setting on themes simular to those stories (one solar system, the cylons, a war against an oppressor, etc).  Previous games have been in the Imperium and Privateers (with all races). 

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
We played our last round with races mostly from the SM:P and SM2 in a world that was a mixture of the Star Wars planetary system and Red Dwarf's ships and the basic setting of Red Dwarf, meaning a crew stuck in a foreign part of space in just a small ship.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Inhibitor universe (Alastair Reynolds) mixed with own stuff

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Well the lastest I have started is after the Great Crumbling of a Vast Human empire. Usually I play with humans only, though on the verge of discovering alien races. Firefly influence runs rather high, but I pull in stuff from almost anything I read
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 I use my own universe but I it is influenced by Traveller, BSG, Fire Fly, Warhammer 40K and Priveteers. In my new space project that has been put on hold I take influence from almost all of the above settings with a huge influence from SM2, Fire Fly, BSG, Traveller [4th and 2300] and Dune.
 In fact in my last space canpaign it used a lot of Traveller books for adventure ideas, advetures, ship's, universe map, some W40K stuff, but used the races from SM:P [except for the ALF race].
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia

Currently running a game where, thanks to an unfortunate accident involving a Devonian research facility and Scienetic Harbinger technology, the walls between Reality and Somewhere Else have ruptured, letting the heralds of mutation, madness and Chaos in.  Yup, it's SM2 mixed with Warhammer's Realms of Chaos.  (Personally I can't wait to use the Rationality stat as introduced in Dark Space.... Bwuhahahaha!)

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
It never actually got off the ground, but I was planning to run a "Space: Above and Beyond" campaign at one point.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
I've got my free and happy Bryce 6.1 (actually, it wasn't free).  And an aircraft carrier able to breach the Atmosphere.  So, yeah, I can do my own setting.
;)
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Oldgrue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Last campaign was a TL 18-19 game. Barely into FTL using an Event Horizon/Supernova style FTL drive.  All humans, First contact with a semi-manned kinetic-kill device.
Players begged for an AI...and ended up with something reminiscent of "the Sand Kings" and "Carrie". 

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Following the instructions of the Poll: (heh)

I'm getting ready to launch a game as GM for the first time in... well, a while. It's set on a planet I came up with years ago based on the campaign that my friend Rip was GMing for over 3 years.
My game is more cyberpunkish, so I've got a bit of a hybrid of SM and CS goin on.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I think a couple of good setting - that can be married by the way - are the old Star Frontiers and Alternity/Star*Drive settings. They work out well for Spacemaster.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Oh yeah, talking about from out of books I think the John Scalzi "Old Man's War," "The Ghost Brigade," & "The Last Colony" are great material for a SM setting. Especially if you do it after "The Last Colony" so that you can open up more character types. Even if you can't see them as a setting, there are plenty of things in those books that can be used in other settings, and at the very least they are a fantastic-fun read. :D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Viktyr Gehrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Head Full of Angry Bees
I think a couple of good setting - that can be married by the way - are the old Star Frontiers and Alternity/Star*Drive settings. They work out well for Spacemaster.

Yeah... I keep looking at my stack of old Buck Rogers in the XXV Century and thinking they'd be worth converting to HARP Sci-Fi. And since Star*Drive got such a raw deal-- both when it got cancelled and when it was "revived"-- I've been dying to resurrect it properly.

Makes me wish I had the time...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I recently purchased that boxed set from E-bay. It is fairly cool, with lots of good info to be able to do a decent coverting job. But what is really funning is not 2 minutes before reading your post (Korimyr) I was mentioning to a guy at work (yes I am at work right now 5:59 AM Eastern Standard Time/US, and have been since 5 pm yeasterday) about how you can go onto NBC.com and watch old episodes of Buch Rogers for free online.  :D

I like the Alternity rules enough, and feel that they need only a little tweeking so I would use them for running a Star*Drive/Star Frontiers game.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 Another couple of setting ideas from old books are the Faded Sun and the Derini series [sp?]. In which both have warrior races bread to fight battles for the general populace. This could be also tured into a Dragoon cmapaign for SM:P or a clone/altered replicant game for SM2.

MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Our Spacemaster campaign was set in Peter F. Hamilton's "Confederation" universe.. As descirbed in his "Night's Dawn" trilogy.

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
I'm creating my own post-apocalyptic, and dark future world, using a special blend of spacemaster and rolemaster.

/p

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 Sweet.

MDC

BTW, it is nice to see someone post in thier section. IMO the SM section needs more love.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline vytzka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Lithuanian Psycho
I'm working on starting a chat game to test my SM:P ruleset adaptation to Warhammer 40k universe.
"Traveller fans don't like Traveller so it's very hard to please them.  Oh they may like a specific race or a specific time period, or a specific rule set except for 25% of the pages determined randomly by rolling 2d6 and trying to read them as percentiles. "
 - David Johansen