Author Topic: I have a dream...  (Read 6068 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
Bad English...liked the band.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
I cribed the line from Corbin Dallas (Bruce Willis) in The Fifth Element.

I'll freely admit that my experiences as a Traveller fan strongly colour my feelings on new editions.  Whatever else there is, RMSS isn't nearly as huge a leap as TNE was.  I think TNE is the prime example of several game killing mistakes designers make.

The omnibus corebook without a less scary entry point.  The complete rules re-write.

The rushed and badly edited products.

The massive setting destroying cataclysm.

Radically changing the stat set and skill names.

Keeping the system's worst feature when they threw out everything else (Universal World Profiles).

Re-stating all the core gear three times.  In erratta and supplements.

Too many alternate settings in the core book leaving all of them looking flat and undeveloped.

Leaving setting development for some eventuallity that won't come before the new edition.

Changing the basic technical assumptions of the setting even if it was kinda dumb that you used fuel for ftl instead of maneuvering.

T4 really destroyed my opinion of hardcore fans and is one of the reasons I don't think a new edition will be accepted by the RM2 fanbase.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
TNE was T3 ... T4 (Marc Miller's Traveller) went back to it's original black-cover roots ...

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »
Yeah, I didn't really start hating Traveller fans until I saw how they acted when T4 came out.

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
T3 as in Traveller the New Era?

Also, I only speak English and Bad English, well okay I only speak Bad English but I can read and write both.

I think your English is fine. I play enough online games where bad spelling and grammar errors are rampant that I honestly don't notice unless someone is really bad with English.

To be honest I never noticed it wasn't your first language. Not sure what that says about me or the general competency of most of  us Americans with English but... *shrug* :)
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »
And may we not consider Harp as the natural evolution of RM ? It has both the simplicity and attractivity of good old RM2 along with some of RMSS-like standardized system.
After having played RM2 then RMSS for many years and having been almost exclusive on this, I have almost fell in love with Harp : simple, potent, adaptable... useable as is by novice players and tweaked as will by experienced gamers... I can't see how it can be improved.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
I have and like HARP just fine but honestly it is a bit to simplistic for my tastes and loses to much of what I love about RM to make it simpler. Though I admit I do like the HARP Magic System much better.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
DJ,
Authors Note: I am trying to do this as diplomatically as possible without breaking the Forum rules.

"Erased by author"

Take 2
 I would recommend you taking a look at both books, reader opinions, as well as any official errata sites before you buy one or the other.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
Dark Mistress: I speak English and only English, it's just a joke referance to the movie The Fifth Element.

Markc:

If you're talking T4 and TNE I have most everything for both from when they were released.  I sold a few pieces and loaned and lost a few when a friend was murdered but outside of that debacle I have owned every Traveller product since Megatraveller and all the core books and several supplements for Classic Traveller.

My most beaten up book is my Classic Traveller book and if I have to give up every last gaming item I own it will be the last to go.

If you're not talking Traveller...yeah, I need to stop coming here.

The war's over.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:33:56 PM by David Johansen »

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
Dark Mistress: I speak English and only English, it's just a joke referance to the movie The Fifth Element.

Ah i see that humor thing.... interesting. i shall study it.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »
BTW, it seems, on the other hand, that it's rational to keep the three descendents of RM2 as official current systems, IMHO. ICE now has her own printer, and can control the number of books to be published for each system, I guess. And there's gamers' demand from each of the three "realms" (ha, ha). RMC/X has just (re-)started to walk on its new road with the two cousins(niblings?), and you know, classic is like Janus, it has always two faces, new as well as old at the same time.

I'd like to have fun with three of them, somtimes hybridly and somtimes purely, for the time being, so as to have "my dream" ripen. ;)

Well, I'm gonna try to convert Magent and Dabbler for RMC/X, for my next step;D