Author Topic: How often do you create char? or an new game?  (Read 5178 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How often do you create char? or an new game?
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:18:24 PM »
 After reading quite a few threads this question poped into my mind. Just how often do people create new chartacters in your RM game? How long does your game generally last, ie days, months, years?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Re: How often do you create char? or an new game?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:48:33 AM »
Depending on People's luck and Divine Intervention months and years
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 06:06:07 AM »
Our RM campaigns each lasted about three years (maybe a bit longer each). They mostly resulted in character being above level 20, always a perfect time to end the campaign and start a new one.
Our recent HARP campaigns has also been running for two years now - though not with such regular playing as with RM (which was about eight hoursonce a week).
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 06:13:27 AM »
Usually our campaigns lasts for several months (current one has begun one year ago).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:02:59 AM »
I have had PC's last for years and reach very high levels, yet I have had PC's die on thier first encounter.  In RM, even a zombie can kill you with a nice A crit, roll a 100.

I have run long term games were a mission or quest will be started but is finished by an entirely new cast of PC's.  Some campaigns are deadlier than others, yet the game world stays the same.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:53:21 AM »

Well, urm, my campaign is nearing 20 years (Jan 08 it started). The current PBEM is going on since April '04. The last new character added over a year ago. However, within the campaign context there have been at least a dozen different game settings with groups of PCs. The longest running group - roughly from 88 to 01 or so, got the highest PCs to 14th (none were there in 88 though). Some of those PCs are still active, at a Meta level, in their 20s in the current PBEM (which has a war as the backdrop).

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
Funny thing though is that I remember the times when we played MERP and later our first campaign of RM2 with everyone spending a good deal of their free time with developing characters. So, everyone played only one character but had about six of them in their stacks on the desk. Just for the fun of it.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 02:13:17 PM »
 I in the same boat as all of you, I prefer longruning campains to short campains. I knnow creating a char takes a while in RM but IMO you get attached to it and you are putting in an investment.
 I am playing in another game with another agme system and a player made a comment this week as we are converting char from game X to game Y. "Boy that did not take long as X" he said. To which I thought yes it was faster but is that necessarly a good thing? IMO sometimes the easy road is good but sometimes the long road it better.
MDC

BTW: Thanks all
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »
In the 20 years of GMing, I eliminated only 1 player from future gaming due to stupidity. Once characters are created I like to give the players a chance to say if they like them or not (most players not familiar with RM). Fate Points are a wonderful tool to allow for the vagaries of dice and, if your lucky enough in my game, allow the PC to benefit from fate points outside of combtat.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 07:49:49 AM »
my 3 RM campaigns have been 1.5yr+, 1yr+, and on-going-since-April. In the middle game was the only time I've had players make new characters, and that was from a TPK, so about 5 new characters all at once.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »
A year or more. I usually like (and Plan) long running campaigns :)

The last campaign ran for about 1? year and it only stopped because I moved to another part of the country.
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »
It generally depends usually in how much the players can survive in a reasonable group.  If they achieve to end the campaign, can be 2 years now, but a few years ago, the games were easier and less long-termed.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »
My RM2 games run for an average of 2-3 years, the longest ran for 10 years, but all of these have been set in the same campaign world which as a consequence has been developing on and off since the mid 80s
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
 I guess maybe a side question is how often do you level up? I ask because people always talk about how hard it is to level up or what a pain it is. I use my own system to level up that in the end works out the same but I rarely had people complain anout it.

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 02:52:47 AM »
Hmm after having a debate about xp in this forum, I've stopped pretending that I think a lot about xp, so now the players just level up, when I say so. :)
Every two month or something close to that.. which means every 6th gaming session. However it depends a lot on the way they have played..
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 07:17:58 AM »
I guess maybe a side question is how often do you level up?

At low levels about once every 1-2 sessions (of ~7 hrs), at later levels perhaps once every 2-4 sessions.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »

Now my PCs are all between 10th and 13th level and they level up every 5-6 sessions. When they were below level 10 it usually took 4-5 session to gain a level.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »

I also now give lvls when I feel like it. After their first adventure, I gave the their 2nd lvl. It might have been big enough to warrent more than 1 lvl, so they may lvl fairly soon again. That first adventure took 6 game sessions(@4hr each).
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 08:00:05 PM »
 I give out levels also as I feel likt it but I also give out 1/3 of a level DP's so in fact they spend points more often then if I used XP. But I also start char at 3rd to 5th level depending on what profession they play.
 So like most of you I had out 1/3 of a level every 20+ gaming hours or after a big event such as a war ect.

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »
First level characters should not be let out without a keeper. They know just enough to be dangerous - to themselves.

I usualy let players advance a level after about 8 sessions with an occassional extra level increase at the end of significant events, for example "taking care" of the big bad guy can result in a level increase.

Basically the first thing disgarded from the rules was the XP awards table.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow