Author Topic: Herb Lists  (Read 10413 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Herb Lists
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
Waking up this dead thread here to see if anyone else has any other ideas where my mystery list of herbs might be from:

Gorfon
Mu-jy-Mirenna
Klandun
Bragolith
Chap Beech Nut
Dextros
Henuial
Kirtir
Muilfana
Numenelos
Plaranata
Sarah-P-H-Head
Strygont
Taynaga
Adrela
Wilba
Wight Orchid

Of peculiar note is a list of Acids, they are in my master list but can't find them in any books.   Where did I get these from!!??
Acids: Frag, Heethil, Ell, Waters of Fire, Largath, Vitriol, Linnith, Greagrex

Ring any bells for anyone?

My list of books that contain herbs is:
- RMC Character Law / RMFRP GM Law (essentially same list)
- RM Companion I
- C&T III
- Spell Users Companion
- R&C Underground Races
- Hands of the Healer
- Shadow World Master Atlas

If anyone knows where else these might come from I'd be quite thankful, it's been driving me nuts.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
Of the acids, only water of fire does not come from (my second least favorite book in RM) Arms Companion.  I did not take the time to find the others. 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »
Ah-ha, Arms Companion!  Thanks Setorn.   That explains those anyway, I did have AC for a time (and agree, it's no good).

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »
Uh, right, RMCI had herbs. Weird selection as far as I remember including that one that could regrow a whole limb within six months. Cool stuff. RMCI also featured those herb packages for adventurers which could be bought a starting packages or at least as bundles with a small discount.

TOME (Treasures of Middle-Earth) also had some herbs in it.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
I believe all the stuff in ToME is in Hands of the Healer.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
Ah, right, that's of course possible. I don't own Hands of the Healer, only TOME, so couldn't have known. But it makes sense that they share the herb lists.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:14 AM »
HtH did a fantastic job, they had gone through all the MERP books and gotten the herbs from all of them to compile a master listing, and expanded the descriptions.  So each herb has a more in-depth description of the plant and it's effects as well as what book the herb originally came from.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »
Maybe I should buy it if I ever come across one ... ever ... were good books those MERP ones. Not all of them though.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Besides, it has a thourough description of various healing traditions I find very interesting even with other rules.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »
Could they be in the Alchemy Companion? I recall there being odd materials, acids and the like described in that book.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
 I have a couple of herb documents the first is an 8 page list that has some of the herbs in it but it does not have any notes as to where they came from. The others are on my lap top which just took a dive so I can get back to you after I fix it and have a chance to check my back up drive for the information.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
I think I have most of the herbs now, it's just a matter of finding out what the original source is.  I have several documents I've found over the net but would still be interested in taking a look at anything else just in case.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
I think I have most of the herbs now, it's just a matter of finding out what the original source is.  I have several documents I've found over the net but would still be interested in taking a look at anything else just in case.

If you would like it just send me a PM with your email address and I can get it to you as long as you agree not delete the PDF's and scans in about a week.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Turambar

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Humankind cannot bear very much reality -TS Elliot
    • http://www.multiverse.org/images/albums/AnimGifs/esword1.thumb.gif
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
Vroom...I did more of a proof of concept than any kind of search (being at work at all), but I have some bad news for you. I recognized a few of those off your list as being from ME books. I thought it may have been just some of the 2nd Ed. books that might have been missed by HotH (from being in the pipeline at the same time), but I'm afraid it isn't that simple. A few quick examples:

Klandun -> in Court of Ardor, don't know if it originated there.
Bragolith -> crap, I forgot already :)...it was a poison somewhere...maybe the big Arnor book?
Chap Beech Nut -> has been in the Mirkwood sourcebooks since 'Southern Mirkwood'.
Numenelos -> is in Northern Wastes...but I don't think it originated there.
Sarah-P-H-Head -> 'Sarah pokes her Head', Mirkwood from 'Southern Mirkwood' on.
Waters of Fire -> acidic water from hot springs, in Arnor (big book), but don't know if it originated there.

As comprehensive has HotH seems, it appears it isn't (though an excellent sourcebook none the less).

A couple others that are tickling my memory, but I couldn't find them on a quick trip down memory lane were:

Mu-jy-Mirenna -> I thought this was in Ardor...it may be in one of the other Southern Midle Earth sourcebooks/modules (the 'mu-jy' looks very much like it is derived from one of the southern ME modules) . Seems like it was perhaps a berry that looked like a Mirenna berry, but with some sort of negative effect.

Wight Orchid -> also very familiar...seems like it was a plot device, but I'm not remembering any details.

I might be able to give it a go on a day off if you don't have access to the whole MERP library.

Jason
"Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly." - Gurthang

"Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" - Stormbringer

Offline Turambar

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Humankind cannot bear very much reality -TS Elliot
    • http://www.multiverse.org/images/albums/AnimGifs/esword1.thumb.gif
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 01:59:26 AM »
Munchy called this one...ToME (either edition) has:

Kirtir
Numenelos
Sarah-P-H-Head
Wight Orchid
-and-
Chap Beech under 'Woods'

It doesn't state source, but the descriptions may give you a clue.

Jason

Uh, right, RMCI had herbs. Weird selection as far as I remember including that one that could regrow a whole limb within six months. Cool stuff. RMCI also featured those herb packages for adventurers which could be bought a starting packages or at least as bundles with a small discount.

TOME (Treasures of Middle-Earth) also had some herbs in it.
"Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly." - Gurthang

"Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" - Stormbringer

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
Jason, thanks a lot for the info.  I had assumed HoTH had all the herbs in it.   I have several MERP sourcebooks, maybe a dozen or so but nearly all are 1st edition such as Ardor, Umbar, Bree, Shelob's Lair, etc.

No real need to track them down, but thanks.  For right now I am leaving out most of the ME herbs.

Offline MidKnight

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • That which you cannot see CAN hurt you.
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
Treasures of Middle Earth has quite a few herbs, plants, trees, stones, metals, crystals, etc., as well.  Not specific to this product line, but it was produced under the old license with ICE 'way back when'.