Author Topic: Living change (closed essence) What happens with clothing and equipment?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Living change (closed essence) What happens with clothing and equipment?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »
In the enlarge case I use the house rule; that if the target encountered resistence when growing the spell stoped the enlargement at that point.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 04:09:08 AM »
Usually the equipment is included, in another case if you enlarge yourself and you wear a ring...you can lose you finger!!.

I think if not described specifically (as 'unseen' spell) it includes the equipment, but we could (or must) use the teleport limit rules, that is about a 150% of caster weight too evade abuses.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
A little question related to this topic:
If something really big (for example a dragon) assumes human form using a spell or item and then wear magical items (like boots, or armor,...), what will happen when the spell is cancelled (or ends duration) or the item removed? Do the magical items "enlarge" to fit the original form? Must they make a RR or be destroyed? I would say the latter one, what do you think?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
Depends. . .if part of the magic of magic clothing like rings is that they "fit to size" then no problem.

Like, the one ring fits 16' tall sauron and 3' tall frodo. (Nasty sauron, small hands, smells like cabbage.)

If not, it's the GM's call if the items RR to make the change or not. . .if there's no in game logic for the clothes re-sizing I'd say they either fall to the floor or get shredded.

(A lot depends on GM special effects for instance. . .one GM had living change act like morphing from one shape to the other, which makes me think torn clothing, split rings and all. . .another GM had the target turn into a glowing cloud then re-form into the new shape. . .that would leave the stuff on the floor unharmed. Either are valid.)

The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
If you like drama, such items could stay altered, until reunited with the original target, dispelled or the duration of the spell expires. 

If for any reason a magic item wont, cant or can resist being altered, an RR would be appropriate, with failure indicating it does change for the duration of the spell.  I have often required an RR for artifact powered gear, with the items rr success being described as "it wavers and shimmers...or...you twist the items shape, almost completeing the transformation, but it is to powerful a stain on you, and you cant finish the weave..."

Items like these can be a source of fun, adventures, and considering the power the lend to PC's, suffering some small disadd doesn't strike me as a bad thing.

If you go with the item staying altered when seperated, remember a few things.  The spell caster will be able to cancel the spell just by concentrating, causing the altered item to assume normal form.  Also, detects should show an active spell, and the right detect what spell (i.e. change to kind, etc).

Perhaps the best bet it to assume that any item more than 100' away from the reciepient of the changing magic reverts to its original form.  Also recall changes should be cosmetic; short sword into dagger, bracer into bracelet, etc.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
hmmm ...  this brings the munchkin in me out ...
get stone -> shrink -> place stone in lock -> cancel spell
BANG open door
a good DM would probably just say the stone gets destroyed but its an idea

even better: kill giant bird -> shrink and bespell with levitate to make it as small and as light as a chicken -> serve enemy who cant find poison or anythin in it
BANG rupture in the stomach  enemy dies in 3D10 Days with terrible pain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
I certainly think casting "Shrink" on a rock, then getting someone to eat it, then returning it to full size qualifies as "Creatively using a U spell to attack". . .depending on the amount of shrinkage. . .the enlarging turkey may just cause the person to vomit. . .if your stomach contents double in size it's one thing, if the x10 more likely you'd rupture.

Much like you could cast "Boil Liquid" on someone's bath, then push them into it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
(A lot depends on GM special effects for instance. . .one GM had living change act like morphing from one shape to the other, which makes me think torn clothing, split rings and all. . .another GM had the target turn into a glowing cloud then re-form into the new shape. . .that would leave the stuff on the floor unharmed. Either are valid.)

I like the "morphing" effect, as I find it more dramatic... and give less loot to the PCs!  :evil1: (just joking)
Maybe the effect should be different for each magical item, a sort of random effect given by the unpredictable interaction beteween the spell and the item "aura". An item could simply break, another change size normally, another one just fall to the floor unaltered,...

I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »
Or a powerful item could prevent the change.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.