Author Topic: Living change (closed essence) What happens with clothing and equipment?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
My mage did some scouting in Thuringwathost (MERP ICE8020 Dagorlad and the dead Marshes)
while flying and beeing invisible i also did cast shrink so i could get throug smal openings and map the layout for my fellows (at least where i could go without opening doors).
later one of the players pointed out that i was flying around nekkid  ;D because the spell would only make the body smaler and not the player himself.
i cant find anything about equipment in the descriptions of the Spell list but if the clothing and amor isnt changed, it would be dumb.
if i transform into a dwarf to get a discount from an dwarfen merchant, he would see that im wearing the same clothing as the elf which was here 20 minutes ago and if someone in an AT20 is enlarging himself he would be serious injured.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Living change (closed essence) What happens with clothing and equipment?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
I think the other palyer is right  :)
Shrink is just a 1st level spell, you can't expect too much from it! Besides that it states that it makes the target smaller, and I think that this don't include his clothing/possessions!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:46:53 AM »
"X target(s)" includes all equipment on said target(s), per the "Your aura contains all" rule. (Otherwise you would teleport, and arrive naked on the other side.)

If a spell does not include gear, it will specify, look at "Unseen" for an example.

The only proviso to this is certain items may get a seperate RR. (For instance, a "Shrink" cast on Fodo might not shrink the one ring, at the GMs discretion). Generally speaking, I consider that rule to exist to prevent he casual destruction of plot devices.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
Oh! I forgot of the aura thing!  :mullet:
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »
We normally only worry about those items with a will when a character is changing something such as a shrink.  It would be funny however to see the massively powered arch mage teleport and all his items be still sitting where he was. 
If I remember correctly, shape changing, not the spells but the actual changing such as background or curse, does not change the clothes and items.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:56:18 PM »
There are options that can be added if such detail is desired.

The options I am about to list wrap around the idea that all change spells create a bland form that is noticable to the trained eye as "basic shapeshift magic."

The optional skill spell artistry is a good choice for detailing shapeshift magic.  A very hard (-20) check will allow the caster to create an original form, but not a copy, that will pass as any race with average appearance.  Good or bad looks adds an additional penalty modifier equal to the mod attempted.  So in RMFRP, to attain a -10 AP mod (or a devestatinglt attractive orc in the eyes of orcs) would require a -50 Spell artistry check (-20 plus 3x stat mod desired).  In RM2, the stat mod would be a straight add.

Likewise, if the GM wishes, altering armor, clothing an items could require skill checks.  Changing color only would be a light (+10) mnv, moderate changes to size of objects and physical appearance would be hard (-10, such as a sword to a dagger, a change in outfit, plate to chain or chain to leather or leather to a cloak/jacket, etc), major changes would be very hard, while absorbing the objects into the new form would be extremely hard.

If a GM wishes to limit skills, then use spell mastery instead.

I have to run, or I would add a great deal more.  Perhaps later.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
I have allways played the spells that they do not effect equipment but you can use spell mastery to bring your equipment along with you.

Yamma,
 I love the spell art. rules and I will use them.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »
so having my familiar in my aura (like a snake in my pocket) would make the familiar small as well?  (i think it should get big as soon as it leaves me).
for the attractive orc: i think one should know more about the specific race or species and maybe even aktual standards in beauty for this stuff

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 04:04:17 AM »
Would be funny though, getting the hulk effect whenever you use an enlarge spell on a person ...  ;)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
It would lead to offensive uses. . . .cast on someone in AT 20, they'd squeeze out the neckhole like toothpaste.

A familiar is somewhat easier, in that you can easily make the call that they are aura bound to the caster, explaining the penalties if they die. . .

There's some considerable gray area there though.

But what about a normal ferret in your pocket? How about the Halfling in the ogre's backpack? How about the inevitable medieval fleas, ticks and lice. . .(Nothing like shrinking down only to be killed shortly thereafter by your body vermin.)

Technically, a strict reading of the rules would be one being, plus all their gear, with RRs for any gear that the GM feels is magical enough to resist, and NOT including any other living beings.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 08:48:22 AM »
Yeah, speaking of offensive uses I remember a time when Teleportation spells were allowed to be used offensively before someone finally looked up the rules properly. Teleporting horses under rider a**** away or just teleporting the riders or charging soldiers into space ... dangerous spell that one.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 08:57:01 AM »
Of course, given that they don't affect your stats in any way, one might argue that they're more illusionary than actual changes.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
If you shrink, then crawl through the 2" gap under the door, I'd call that real enough for anyone but an existential philosopher.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
anyone remembers "misfits of science" where the big 2m black guy was shrunk and had barbie clothes for this in his pockets?

btw an explanation could be that all spaces between molecules in your aura are getting smaler and the molecules are more together (thus explains the non changing weight, strenght and matter).
getting an extra form is just like more spaces between molecules here and a little bit less there ...
the colours could be  illusions or differend light reflections due too the changed matter.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Great series - don't remember much but that was a nice one. Interesting comparison.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
@munchy
they did run in german paytv (premiere) so i have all of them archived
 ;D
old people eating radioactive burgers and getting superpowers   ;D ;D ;D

i think i have to watch them again.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »
Got on the cable TV train VERY late and never had premiere - but I remember it running on RTL in the early Saturday morning way back.

I don't, however, remember radioactive hamburgers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:49:14 PM by munchy »
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »
btw an explanation could be that all spaces between molecules in your aura are getting smaler and the molecules are more together (thus explains the non changing weight, strenght and matter).

Shrink yourself without loosing weight might cause you to sink even into packed earth.
I'm such a kill-joy.   >:(

It would lead to offensive uses. . . .cast on someone in AT 20, they'd squeeze out the neckhole like toothpaste.

This spell exists on a yet to be researched spell list, but it is at a high level
(anyone ever used Fatal Inversion ?) - easier to kill the target with a Firebolt.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »
Well, the answer here is probably as usual: "It's magic!" I does not have to follow the rules of physics as we know them.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
I'm an old power gamer, so of course I have used Fatal Inversion...and Call of the Void...and Liquidfy Skeleton (personal favorite there ;) ).

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.