Author Topic: Shadow World RMU introductory adventure?  (Read 9115 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World RMU introductory adventure?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »
Hence the "go here, do this" and you can learn about Shadow World from my original post.  An introductory adventure can have all kinds of things unique to Shadow World without delving into politics etc.  Garks & Kral are SW specific generic bad guys.  Loremasters, Navigators, Air Ships can all be around the characters without them being a part of the adventure.  Even just using peripheral elements like colors of magic can be used to weave a tale specific to Shadow World.  We also have to consider the "brand" of gaming that new players may be coming from and bridge the gap accordingly.  Everyone knows what a dungeon crawl is.  Everyone has been a caravan guard.  I think the key is to retain these elements and surround them with enough SW specific flavor that you will appeal to both a new players comfort and curiosity.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »
Wow I am so glad to read that your players have read the first SW novel and it helped them get a feel for the world so much! Please spread the word (in reviews) and I promise to work on book two in the next few weeks, as soon as Haalkitaine is done.
I'll let 'em know tomorrow (we are supposed to game assuming the snow storm doesn't put it off). They'll be quite happy to hear thoughts of the second is on your (busy) mind.
As far as reviews, I actually have one of the reviews on the link you provided. Not the newest one; but given I reviewed it there recently, kinda narrows it down.  ;)
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »
Hence the "go here, do this" and you can learn about Shadow World from my original post.  An introductory adventure can have all kinds of things unique to Shadow World without delving into politics etc.  Garks & Kral are SW specific generic bad guys.  Loremasters, Navigators, Air Ships can all be around the characters without them being a part of the adventure.  Even just using peripheral elements like colors of magic can be used to weave a tale specific to Shadow World.  We also have to consider the "brand" of gaming that new players may be coming from and bridge the gap accordingly.  Everyone knows what a dungeon crawl is.  Everyone has been a caravan guard.  I think the key is to retain these elements and surround them with enough SW specific flavor that you will appeal to both a new players comfort and curiosity.

The funny thing is that when I was polling people for ideas for starting adventures for RMu it was those cliches like a dungeon crawl and caravan guard that people wanted.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
It's fun and it's appropriate for lower level characters.  A dungeon crawl in particular has the benefit of giving multiple character types a chance to shine because it requires a variety of skills. 
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2019, 08:15:47 PM »
My wife and I took a shot at taking 3 of Colin's early adventure seeds and converting into a module set in the Bay of Izar area (w conversion info for Cyradon mainland as well). For a variety of reasons we couldn't complete the module and I sent our notes to date to Nicholas. If he has no objection, I can post it here as well for general consumption. Might inspire someone else.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2019, 09:32:31 PM »
My wife and I took a shot at taking 3 of Colin's early adventure seeds and converting into a module set in the Bay of Izar area (w conversion info for Cyradon mainland as well). For a variety of reasons we couldn't complete the module and I sent our notes to date to Nicholas. If he has no objection, I can post it here as well for general consumption. Might inspire someone else.

Regards,
Old Man

I for one would love to see it! I might be setting my next campaign in the Bay of Izar, so that would be cool.

Love your signature by the way; and I especially loved RoCo IV. I once played a Leader, and my friend played an Astral Traveller, and they were two of our most beloved characters ever.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »

I for one would love to see it! I might be setting my next campaign in the Bay of Izar, so that would be cool.

Bay of Izar is a nice area for a campaign. You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, you can find a lot more about the Priesthood of Zanar in Powers of Light and Darkness in the section on the Eight Imperial Orders. In particular the section on the Order of the Cloak has a lot of detail.

The Eight Imperial Orders as a whole has a lot of stuff that could be useful in a starting campaign.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I do have Powers but haven't looked at it in a while. I will definitely check out that section.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Hi all,

Didn't hear anything but figured I'd post this anyway. Hope you find it of interest.

Regards,
Old Man

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Files can take a long time to get approved, so I'm just marking this thread to check back soon.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »
If you would like me to host the file do you can just link to it you can email me at weareallawesome@rolemasterblog.com.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
If you would like me to host the file do you can just link to it you can email me at weareallawesome@rolemasterblog.com.

Good Morning. Here's a share link if folk want to snag it from there -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TaldIt69MN6MRvqWFtmzjI8VmH45xzO-/view?usp=sharing

Enjoy,
Old Man

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
Hi all,

Didn't hear anything but figured I'd post this anyway. Hope you find it of interest.

Regards,
Old Man

I was interested, but read your message at night on my tablet and by the next day forgot about it! (Typing messages on a tablet is a pain, so I generally don't bother.) Thanks for posting.
I made some things! Azukail Games