Author Topic: ERA - understanding tables  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA - understanding tables
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
There is a table in the "RMFRP/Configuration/" directory titled "CombatActions.XML"

I'm trying to understand where that is used in the program. I don't see anywhere in the Combat part of adventuring.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA - understanding tables
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
Ok, you asked, so now you'll have to live with that knowledge.
That file contains the available actions that can be declared in a round.

Only those that have a representedBy attribute will appear, and you can make them available on in certain steps using the restrictedTo attribute.
Maximum activity will be offered by default when choosing it.
Type determines if it adds the movement or static initiative of the character.

Most of the rest is just informative so that you can have a place to good look for the official percentage of the maneuvers.

And now you know.

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »
Got it. It's starting to make sense.

However, when I trace through the "Melee attack", I see that its representedBy ="meleeAttackAction". I can see that it uses the icon "attack.png" in "Server/Resources/Images", but I can't see how it maps the "meleeAttackAction" to that icon. How do I know what "representedBy" options names there are?

Offline Ephraim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
Hmmm, upon further inspection, I think it uses the icon "spinning-sword.png" which is basically the same thing. In particular I found this line:

span.combatActionIcon.meleeAttackActionIcon, div.actionType > label.ui-button.meleeAttackActionIcon {
        background-image: url("Images/spinning-sword.png");
}

Can I interpret this  where the "representedBy" value in CombatActions.XML is a line added here appended by "Icon"? Like this example:

In CombatActions.XML, if I add the "representedBy" keyword to "Changing weapons" and add the icon "change-weapons.png" to the Images/ folder to make this line:

<Action name="Changing weapons" representedBy="changeWeapons" minimumActivity="50" maximumActivity="50"/>

I would then add this line to adventuring.css

span.combatActionIcon.changeWeaponIcon, div.actionType > label.ui-button.changeWeaponIcon {
        background-image: url("Images/change-weapon.png");
}

or is there more to it?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
I salute your dedication to this!

Indeed you can add your own actions and icons and customize the options for the round.

I'd suggest calling it changeWeaponAction instead of just changeWeapon to keep the names similar.

Also, the only reason your example won't work is because you said representedBy="changeWeapons" but then forgot the s and wrote changeWeaponIcon instead of changeWeaponsIcon

In case you decide to add new icons, I'd suggest choosing from the great options at https://game-icons.net/, which is from where most of the ERA icons were obtained.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:56:42 AM »
Voriig, if I may say kudos on such a dedication to serving the RM community faithfully all this while, through the many iterations of software and actual instant support every time.

Even when it is for free tweaks to software you sell - for those of us that sniped the s/w and tinkered with it.
Cheers, good sir!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »
Voriig, if I may say kudos on such a dedication to serving the RM community faithfully all this while, through the many iterations of software and actual instant support every time.

Even when it is for free tweaks to software you sell - for those of us that sniped the s/w and tinkered with it.
Cheers, good sir!
Thanks!  ;D
I started with what has become ERA many years ago, before convincing myself that it could be of interest and useful to others as well.
It is great to see other people tinkering with it and pushing for new features.