Author Topic: Evil cults in civilized countries  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Evil cults in civilized countries
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:07:36 AM »
I'm having some problems with my players, they feel entitled to attack temples of Charon Lords in cities.

I have been trying to explain that it the Moralis Sanctity are not involved in criminal activities (proven), you cannot ignore the law.

There is no problem to me about playing that situation, but there is difficult to make them understand that it's a felony.

How do you deal with that in your games?
Ni!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Evil cults in civilized countries
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:49:09 AM »
You could remind them one last time that it's a felony, and if they continue, set the law on them. Once a couple are arrested, tried and executed for murder, the others should get the picture.

Okay, that may be a little too far in some respects, but the only real way I can think of to get players to appreciate that they are breaking the law is to get them in trouble with the law. Prison time, non-fatal capital punishment and permanent exile are other options to execution. Or some type of very close call for one final reminder.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:29:06 AM »
It's pretty straight forward.  They do something as blatant and open as attacking a temple, the local authorities as well as the church "militants" (if the church has a group of Templar fighters) come down on the group.

Arrest and forfeiture of all goods they are carrying as well as a fine and possible prison time is a good deterrent against FUTURE misdeeds.  It seems your group needs to learn the hard way and some folks are going to lose all of the loot, armour, weapons, etc. Once they are released there's absolutely no reason at all they should get the stuff back.  The goods would to towards restitution for the temple.

I've had PC's arrested.  My PC was "detained for questioning."  I learned though.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:28:26 AM »
What level are your PCs that they feel comfortable attacking the sanctified grounds and/or followers of a god?
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Yup, what Spectre says.
All loot and treasure taken from the PCs for their crimes is way worse than killing their characters off!
Nobody wants to be 10th level and wielding a bone club with rags for armour, and no coin to buy back anything to replace old stuff.

If any somehow escape, let them be hunted by scrying/rangers for a few sessions to put the fear of “Dog” into them.

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »
They are not high level, just arrived to 5th, and they have some allies in the Cay temple in Lethys.

What they are planning is not to attack openly the temple (yet), but it's interesting that they respect the law for everything except that do not accept that a Charon cult should exist. At least officially, no temple in Lethys is going to send templars, as they should be quite careful to avoid problems with other churches.

Thaks for the feedback :-)

Ni!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »
They are not high level, just arrived to 5th, and they have some allies in the Cay temple in Lethys.

Those noobs.  They should be attacking a hoard of Ancient Elemental Dragons.*  ;D

* - reference to another thread of 5th level PC's being wiped out by dragons.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=18613.20
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:27:36 AM »
What they are planning is not to attack openly the temple (yet), but it's interesting that they respect the law for everything except that do not accept that a Charon cult should exist. At least officially, no temple in Lethys is going to send templars, as they should be quite careful to avoid problems with other churches.

If they have ties to the Cay temple, you could have them overhear that so and so planned something similar and was executed swiftly.
Another idea would be to have someone learn of their plan (or overhear them talking and assume they would really do such a thing) and offer to join. This could be a side quest where they learn something incriminating to justify involving the authorities, or the beginning of a vigilante life in Lethys.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »
In Character Actions Have In Character Consequences.

1) The United Church of Orhan, let alone an order of Cay, in Lethys will not have the party's back if the party flagrantly assaults a Moralis Sanctity that worships openly and in accordance with the law.  Indeed, Paladins of Cay may well be part of the group hunting the party down afterwards.
2) Look up the stats on the Moralis Sanctity in Sel Kai.  The HP of such a group in Lethys is going to be at least as high level as Ormool.  A party of 5th levelers attacking someone on that level is a one act play.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »
Let them sneak int the moralis temple.. be caught.. and handled by miss Corra Anthrax the Moralis mistress of "fun"
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Sounds like a good starting point for an adventure!
So the PC's want to cause mischief, let them try. Temple guards and any worshipers or clerics on hand are just the start. If (or when) the militant / fighting order gets the news that ruffians are targeting their temple they won't be impressed to say the least, and going to the law probably won't be a priority for them. The PC's had better have had a good plan and left little trace cause they now have a new group looking for them.

And like Metallion says, the United Church won't necessarily have the party's back. The prelate probably isn't going to be a dyed in the wool fanatic but more likely a savvy political operator. (S)he could simply tell the party to go forth, or if more devious use them as pawns or patsies for their own goals.
Of course the prelates underling, who is tired of playing second fiddle, could offer to help the PC's in an effort to undermine their boss. They could give the PC's some device or such which if used would be traced back to the prelate. Promotion for the underling, trouble on trouble for the party.
Happy days!

James
The owls are not what they seem