Author Topic: Gryphon College  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Gryphon College
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
I actually have fond memories of GMing for a D&D group and them realizing that I was storytelling completely without a module.  It was in Quellebourne and they were shocked that I had the "courage" to GM outside of the canon material.  They were much younger than I was and I had to explain that I am so old we didn't have countless PDFs at our finger tips...LOL...in fact I only had that one module for like 3 years....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
I actually have fond memories of GMing for a D&D group and them realizing that I was storytelling completely without a module.  It was in Quellebourne and they were shocked that I had the "courage" to GM outside of the canon material.  They were much younger than I was and I had to explain that I am so old we didn't have countless PDFs at our finger tips...LOL...in fact I only had that one module for like 3 years....

That's golden.  I had the same experience this summer with friend who has been a D&Der for decades.  He's only started RM last year.  He asked if I was using modules or if there were some books I was pulling the material from.  (He meant paperbacks or novels, not Companions.)

When I told him I wasn't and that I just recently started adding locations from Quellebourne into the material I've been using for years, he was really surprised.  I was able to show him the maps and materials we made back when I was in college and I had first started RM.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
Quellebourne, Norek, and Gryphon College are the trinity of my games.  LOL
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
Quellebourne, Norek, and Gryphon College are the trinity of my games.  LOL

Check out the new Eidolon 2nd Edition if you haven't, it really is Terry's best work to date.

The newer books have me champing at the bit for Jaiman 2nd edition. It really should be a big step up over the original material if Terry stays on the course he seems to have charted with the new publications.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
Randal, for future refernce, click on the "Add Hyperlink" button (looks like a globe with a sheet of paper on the bottom right corner) in the Message Editing screen then paste the URL between the BCC Code (i.e. "url" & "/url" - they are actually between square brackets and not quotation marks, though.  I only did that so you could see the code without the forum processing the code).
I can't use any of the forum's functions other than quote and reply. No emojis or anything like that, including insert hyperlink, ever since the message boards did that "update" or whatever it was a couple of years ago.

But, I am glad people are liking them. I gave it an extra floor because I wanted more students and faculty to use. I have a pdf of the faculty and stuff, many of the names I chose are from works of fantasy fiction (especially my favorite: The Wheel of Time) so keep that in mind. Of course, the ones Terry already put there are still there. I will clean that up and toss that in there too.

If Terry says it is OK, I will upload my version of the Gryphon College room descriptions, it is like what you find in the Jaiman book, but corresponds to my map. I guess I should have asked you (Terry) before putting the map up. Sorry, my bad. I hope is OK.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
The other option, Randal, is to type in the code itself.  But then, I've been using BCC code on many different forums for years and am familiar with the most common ones (Quote, Bold, Italic, Underline).  Other probably aren't as familiar with the code.  That's fine.  It's too bad the icons don't work for you.  They seem to work fine for me.  I wonder why the difference?

But thanks for adding to the resources!  :)

Nightblade ->--

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »
I don't know why either. Even when I use Chrome they don't work.

You are welcome.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
I went ahead and uploaded to the Dropbox my take on the Gryphon College location key. It is made for the players, their general take on the place, with info on what they would know and little to none on what they don't. Please, let me know if there are any gross errors - particularly where the text may contradict itself. I also touched up the rooster (though not completely, you will notice that many of the individuals don't have anything more than their name and which department they are in) and uploaded it, as well. I wonder how many of you will recognize where some of the names come from - I took them from all over. ;-)

After talking to some new gamers in my area (Knoxville, TN) it looks like I might get to run my Rolemaster "magic school" campaign after all. That gets me excited.

Here's the link again, just in case: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/agwlu2ydv7mgxfu/AAD0OIqOISKJ4iCgUddU2XZ3a?dl=0

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »
This is great stuff! Thanks so much; I am getting lots of ideas for my Kulthean Hogwarts/X-Men Academy campaign.

Please let us know if you do anything further, and if you do get your game going, how it goes.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »
Your welcome. Glad to see others are enjoying it. I will let you know. Maybe I will even try to do it as a podcast.....hmmmmm.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
For those who have checked out my Gryphon College stuff (linked to above) I was thinking about a change to the roster. Instead of the engineering dude being from the Terran Empire, I think I would prefer he be from our modern* Earth, still an engineer and all that, because I would love to use some modern music for the stuff he listens to, and because I have an adventure I have been working on that revolves around the PCs needing to enter (but not necessarily win) a music/singing contest in Haalkitaine. I call the adventure Haalkitaine Idol (tee-he-he). I would love them to be able to pick out some modern music (or not-so-modern), like classic rock or other styles of Earth-music, just something that would be a surprise to the locals of Shadow World. If he (or she, no reason to keep the gender male) was from the Empire, then it would be hard to determine what the music would be like, not to mention a big stretch to say they liked this "ancient Earth" music. What do you guys think? Better to be from the Empire, or from modern (or near-modern) Earth?

*I keep seeing the preview for the Queen movie, Bohemian Rhapsody, and loving the idea of him jamming out to the title song on this weird device (small "boombox" bluetoothed to his iPhone, or something like that). Of course, the players[I/] will know what they are hearing even though their characters won't, which should make for some interesting interaction.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »
Easy come
Easy go
Little high
Little low
Anyway the wind blows
Nothing really matters to me
To me…

I think it makes more sense if he/she is from a relatively modern Earth era if you're going for classic rock.  You're right about the Terran Empire, Bohemian Rhapsody would be considered Ancient Music, for sure.  But then, maybe there's some strange cult or scholarly group in the Empire that is dedicated to "Ancient Terran Rock Music".  Perhaps they meet in an old concert venue and play Inna Gadda Da Vida or Smoke On The Water during each of their rituals or meetings.

Boy Randal, now you're giving me some cool ideas…  ;D

Nightblade ->--

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
Well, I guess it would make sense that an agent of the Dia Khovaria might have access to such things. But, I think I still like the idea that they are from present day Earth, having arrived by Flow Storm (of course). This would mean that they don't have knowledge of some really high-tech stuff, so that if tech from the ancients (Althans/K'ta'viir) or others (Earthwardens, Taranians, etc...) is brought to him/her they wouldn't necessarily know how to work it or fix it. They would have a better starting point to try and understand the tech than locals (unless it also included magic, as some does), but it wouldn't be automatic knowledge in any case.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
That's a good point, Randal.  I like that.

Nightblade ->--