Author Topic: Gryphon College  (Read 6858 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Gryphon College
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
Who would say no?  :o
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »
Definitely!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »
I'll second that.  :)

Nightblade ->--

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
OK, I will try and get that done tomorrow night.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
Uuummmm... Does anyone know how to make a Dropbox folder open to anyone? (I can't seem to find how on  the site.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
I think by right clicking on the file in Dropbox and then selecting the "Share" option next to the Dropbox icon from the menu.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »
I think by right clicking on the file in Dropbox and then selecting the "Share" option next to the Dropbox icon from the menu.
Unfortunately, all that does is bring up the Share option, which requires you to manually* type in someone's email address - so I would have to know the email address of everyone who want's the stuff. Now, I get stuff from some of the Kickstarters I have been a part of that comes from Dropbox and the link they give just goes straight to the file (a pdf), which I can then download. I assume everyone who is part of the kickstarter gets the link, and I guess they could have put in the email addresses, though I don't know how they do that.

* You have the option of putting in your entire email address book - I don't want to do that, of course.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
I have this alternate history thing going on with Jaiman which is the result of youthful errors carried over for almost 20 years.  So, we use my Jaiman as a separate non-canon game because we had so much fun with it over the years that we won't reset to the real timeline/storyline. 
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
Unfortunately, all that does is bring up the Share option, which requires you to manually* type in someone's email address - so I would have to know the email address of everyone who want's the stuff. Now, I get stuff from some of the Kickstarters I have been a part of that comes from Dropbox and the link they give just goes straight to the file (a pdf), which I can then download. I assume everyone who is part of the kickstarter gets the link, and I guess they could have put in the email addresses, though I don't know how they do that.

* You have the option of putting in your entire email address book - I don't want to do that, of course.

It looks like if, from that Share option, you simply click "Create Link" rather than add email addresses, it creates a link that allows anyone with the link to view the folder/file.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
If you're looking in the Dropbox folders on your computer (as opposed to on the Dropbox website) and have the Dropbox client installed, when you right-click the option should be "Copy Dropbox link". That will likewise create a link anyone can use.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »
Some of my best "low level" adventuring begins with Gryphon Collge.  Collecting Herbs for Zaris.  Mapping the region.  Deterring wild animals and wanderers for the grounds.  Setting offerings at Shrines.  All kinds of fun little trips and encounters are possible.  Not to mention my favorite scenario: a festival of games where PCs participate in events for their "primary skills" like climbing, swimming, archery, running, etc.  Good fun.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
I have this alternate history thing going on with Jaiman which is the result of youthful errors carried over for almost 20 years.  So, we use my Jaiman as a separate non-canon game because we had so much fun with it over the years that we won't reset to the real timeline/storyline. 

I'd think a good game can't stay completely canon. The only path to that is to eliminate far too much player choice.

Part of game setting design is giving the buyer of the setting books enough detail that they can run the setting, but not so much detail that it crushes all creative choice.

I think with Shadow World there are many setups for possible grand campaigns, but at the same time Terry probably has ideas for future canon that isn't published yet. It's inevitable that at some point players are going to fork left when canon forks right.

Personally all the games I run become a part of the history of the setting for the universe I run stuff in.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 03:17:20 AM »
It looks like if, from that Share option, you simply click "Create Link" rather than add email addresses, it creates a link that allows anyone with the link to view the folder/file.
Thanks. The link is below. Right now there are only the maps, but I will toss in some of the other stuff after I have fiddled with it a bit (just cleaning it up some).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/agwlu2ydv7mgxfu/AAD0OIqOISKJ4iCgUddU2XZ3a?dl=0

(Well, it seems I still cannot use any of the editing functions, so you will have to copy and paste the above link into your address bar.)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
You did a nice job keeping it feeling like a classic ICE map.

One thing you might want to do with dropbox is create a folder, label it something along the lines of Public Share, and share that. There is less ambiguity about what you do and don't have shared if you know that everything inside a particular folder is accessible to other people.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
A direct link to Randal's Dropbox file ->

Randal, for future refernce, click on the "Add Hyperlink" button (looks like a globe with a sheet of paper on the bottom right corner) in the Message Editing screen then paste the URL between the BCC Code (i.e. "url" & "/url" - they are actually between square brackets and not quotation marks, though.  I only did that so you could see the code without the forum processing the code).  Hope this helps.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Great maps! Thanks Randal. They will come in helpful.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »

I'd think a good game can't stay completely canon. The only path to that is to eliminate far too much player choice.

Part of game setting design is giving the buyer of the setting books enough detail that they can run the setting, but not so much detail that it crushes all creative choice.

This is oh so true!  This is also one of the many reasons I don't like D&D.  Everyone takes what's in the novels and books as absolute law and gods forbid you try to do something that will break canon.  For 20+ years we only used a world that we created of our own minds.  I avoided the SW books for a long, long time because I didn't want to get roped into "This is the way it is, so you have to stick to it" type of mentality.  Once I finally broke down and bought Quellebourne, I started to stick some locales into our already exiting world.  That led to me using a lot of the content in Quellebourne without really using the "canon" that was provided.

That was when I fell in love with SW.  I think I have all of the companions now and I interject different locales into my gaming world to add flavor.  Using the books as resource vs. canon makes the gaming world more breathable.  I would hate to tell a player "Sorry, you can't do that because this religion has to stay a minor religion so you can't embark on that epic quest because it will make that group stronger."
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
Yes, D&D games have often had problems with "official" history. Dragonlance had the book series (never really understood the gaming - as opposed to financial - reason for making modules based on books or vice versa), Greyhawk Wars went widely off-canon when I ran it (spelljammers are excellent strategic transports for troops!) and as for the Forgotten Realms... well, less said the better.

One thing that's liked about Harn is that the setting year is fixed. Everything published is in that year (so far anyway).

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Thanks. The link is below. Right now there are only the maps, but I will toss in some of the other stuff after I have fiddled with it a bit (just cleaning it up some).

(Well, it seems I still cannot use any of the editing functions, so you will have to copy and paste the above link into your address bar.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Beautifully done and a very welcome addition.  This is going to fit in perfectly for my setting.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
This is oh so true!  This is also one of the many reasons I don't like D&D.  Everyone takes what's in the novels and books as absolute law and gods forbid you try to do something that will break canon. 

Yes, D&D games have often had problems with "official" history. Dragonlance had the book series (never really understood the gaming - as opposed to financial - reason for making modules based on books or vice versa), Greyhawk Wars went widely off-canon when I ran it (spelljammers are excellent strategic transports for troops!) and as for the Forgotten Realms... well, less said the better.

I don't think TSR required you to stay completely on canon. In the dragonlance modules, the only real limitation was in the first few modules there were a few characters that couldn't die permanently or it would break the story, but they called out the point that ceased to be a limitation, and said outright 'from here on in no character is essential.' With game settings attached to novels I'd say canon exists as a guide, but it's up to the individual group what they do with it.

In SW the players could decide to side with Ondoval, and help capture the southern eye if they wanted.  ;D That's the thing with RPGs, you tell the story.