Author Topic: RMC Arms Tables vs. RMSS Arms Tables  (Read 1460 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
RMC Arms Tables vs. RMSS Arms Tables
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the arms tables are materially different between the two systems? I own a lot of RMSS material but no RMC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: RMC Arms Tables vs. RMSS Arms Tables
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
There are differences, but I don't know as if you'd really notice them in practice.  Personally I'd rather have the RMSS ones just so it jives with all our books, but I don't know of anything so drastically different that there'd be a problem.

I regularly pull weapon and critical tables from other versions of RM as-is.  Spell lists I will alter however since the power balance is not always on par from version to version.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
There are probably very slight differences in the attack charts. They hand tweeked the damage and crits more than once during Arms Law's life.  The closest thing I can think of to a big difference was the 00 E Slash Crit (the groin shot crit). IIRC correctly, in the old version, the victim survived it in a terrible ironic punishment. In the RMSS version, they added a death result.  I don't know what version RMC uses.  Also, I'm not POSITIVE I remember the old charts correctly, but that result was always a legend in my groups (which means it's possible that we willfully misread it).
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
The RM2 100 slash critical reads: "Strike to foe's groin area. +10 hits. All vitals are destroyed immediately. Foe is stunned and unable to parry for 12 rounds."
The RMSS merely explicitely mentions that, yes, having all of one's (lower) vitals destroyed implies one's imminent death because, apparently, it wasn't obvious enough for some people.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
Well, we never interpreted those vitals as necessity for living. Just for quality of life.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:14:54 AM »
Well, we never interpreted those vitals as necessity for living. Just for quality of life.

;D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:38 AM »

Given that circumstance, that critical, and the remaining quality of life, I would ask the GM for death just out of sheer principal!!!

I have to agree with Defendi though.  RM was usually pretty specific.  Unless it said "Death/Dies", that poor bastard is still alive in a cruel irony of fate.  The vitals in the groin area aren't particularly necessities of life, just joie de vie and desire to continue adventuring!

What if it were a female PC?
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
At least ask to be given the points for a Eunuch flaw.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss