Author Topic: What should Come Next for SW?  (Read 6640 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: What should Come Next for SW?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:23 AM »
Another thing that might benefit from a revision is Gethaena. Even though someone else wrote it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
I must admit some surprise at all the interest in Artifacts & Lost Technology!  It's an even bigger winner over on the Shadow World Facebook page.
Artifacts and lost technology is one of the things SW books have always delivered great source material on, would love to see a book with just this.

Also - sad I only get 2 votes  :(
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »
Soooo... I guess I should really get going on Wuliris. But Gryphonburgh, and most likely Emer II and  Eidolon revisions will come out before that.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »
I said Artifacts & Lost Technology because I don't use your setting as-is... I just steal stuff from it. :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Soooo... I guess I should really get going on Wuliris. But Gryphonburgh, and most likely Emer II and  Eidolon revisions will come out before that.

All 4 will be POD purchases for me as soon as they're done

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
I would much prefer to have all-new material published than the re-worked old material (although that is welcome also!) and thus voted for the Wuliris sourcebook.

Whatever will take the shortest time to complete. That is what should come out next.
Because to quote Inigo Montoya, "I hate wait."

Thanks again to Mr. Amthor for all his hard work!
--Desty

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »
totaly go with artefacts.. the upside is that it's cross-modular.
All of it's meaty goodness can be easily ported/tweaked into any RM campaign world
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
I voted other, and was going to say more adventures like the upcoming Gryphon Inn one... but then I realized that the Jaiman overhaul would be awesome, so would like to change my vote to that!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline xenus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Anything that does not have a title ending in ¨second edition¨
 ;)

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
 ;)

So, Iron Wind Third Edition is still on the table?

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 02:31:43 AM »
 ;)

Really? I have been slaving for a long time on a new edition for Eidolon, which
1) Was maybe the most popular SW module ever, and finally we can offer the map again, in parts in the book and complete as a PDF because I scanned it;
2) There was tons more background about Sel-kai/Eidolon society and infrastructure just waiting to be written.

So, I hope my efforts are not wasted. I am closing in on finishing the new adventures. Dozens of pages of new background are done.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
 ;)

Really? I have been slaving for a long time on a new edition for Eidolon, which
1) Was maybe the most popular SW module ever, and finally we can offer the map again, in parts in the book and complete as a PDF because I scanned it;
2) There was tons more background about Sel-kai/Eidolon society and infrastructure just waiting to be written.

So, I hope my efforts are not wasted. I am closing in on finishing the new adventures. Dozens of pages of new background are done.

No, sir. Your efforts are not wasted. A new edition of anything SW is welcome (including Iron Wind [hint, hint, nudge, nudge]), and hotly anticipated.  ;D

Thanks,
--Desty

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Terry, I second what Destyar just said. I think xenus was either being facetious or not wanting to buy a new edition of something already published, in which case my advice would be: don't buy it, and allow those of us that want to, to have access to material that needed revision and is long out of print.

So I say, bring on 2nd Ed. Eidolon, Emer 1 and 2, Haalkitaine, and Jaiman. :)

Offline xenus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »
Terry, I second what Destyar just said. I think xenus was either being facetious or not wanting to buy a new edition of something already published, in which case my advice would be: don't buy it, and allow those of us that want to, to have access to material that needed revision and is long out of print.

So I say, bring on 2nd Ed. Eidolon, Emer 1 and 2, Haalkitaine, and Jaiman. :)
As I have a hard copy of everything, including Iron Wind, Vog Mur and Norek, new material just gives me better value per page; but I´ll buy anything that gets published regardless, especially in hardback, so no waste of effort there.
Looking at Cloudlords, if you are doing second editions for other books, I suggest removing anything that appears in the Master Atlas (or later regional sourcebooks), in this case the section on Navigators from the old module is just duplication; especially if that means you can add new material or previously cut material.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:03 AM »
I will buy everything produced for SW, and I'm sure that a new edition of some of the books is necessary.

Anyway, if we want to bring new players, maybe the suggested idea of an adventura path is good, I'm thinking that Legacy of the Sea-Drake could be a good starting point.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 01:25:12 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback! Eidolon 2nd Edition is very close to completion, and it will be big. Full color of course and definitely perfect bound and hardback editions. More ships, more people, more adventures... timeline update... you name it.

And as far as 'Adventure Path' I am not familiar with it first hand. Is it along the lines of what I started many years ago with the Grand Campaign? (the PDF is downloadable free here somewhere)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback! Eidolon 2nd Edition is very close to completion, and it will be big. Full color of course and definitely perfect bound and hardback editions. More ships, more people, more adventures... timeline update... you name it.

And as far as 'Adventure Path' I am not familiar with it first hand. Is it along the lines of what I started many years ago with the Grand Campaign? (the PDF is downloadable free here somewhere)

I would say that yes, the GC is along those lines. I'd lend you my copy of Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition, but it's a digital product  :)

I think the second editions are important for bringing, and keeping, new people to the setting. I would prefer personally totally new stuff, but I think it's vital that new fans have a good amount of supplements. So Emer I & II and Eidolon are needed for that.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
Eidolon 2nd Edition is very close to completion, and it will be big.

P.S. Is it not technically the Third Edition of Eidolon? My PDF has copyright dates of 1992 and 2000.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
In my opinion, the Adventure paths are quite different from an standard campaign, including the GC. Not in content but in the way the material is published.

In the past the writers used to write huge campaigns in big books (>128 pages) full of content, mixing adventure information and background. Maybe it was the way edition business worked. Buty Paizo's business was about issuing full color magazines of around 100 pages monthly. So the concept they developed for the adventure path is to get several books that usually will be shorter than the campaigns aforementioned, consider a range of 64-100 pages with the adventure section clearly separated from the background, with really good design and illustrations and some supporting free background, usually a pdf with a player guide for the adventure path with the information that players can know.

Check here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Path
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »
Eidolon 2nd Edition is very close to completion, and it will be big.

P.S. Is it not technically the Third Edition of Eidolon? My PDF has copyright dates of 1992 and 2000.

The 2000 one was more of a new printing (PDF) with a different cover. There was little if any new material
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.