Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 91440 times)

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »
Wootsauce!
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »
And the RMSS/FRP files were released for me in time for my birthday.  YOU REALLY DO CARE! ;D
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »
First use of ERA for RMC.  My initial reaction was that I didn't like it.  I realize that you can't be all things to all people.  However, this may be because I don't understand the program fully.

My complaints, in no particular order:

1)  RMC has a lot of options, so no two GM's run the game the same way.  In setting up the program, you appear to have made a number of baseline assumptions that I don't use.  (Power point development, individual spell development, level bonuses using the RMSS conversion rules, etc....)

2)  I use the character development option "all characters get 40 DP per level, regardless of stats".  There doesn't appear to be a way to implement this.

3) Several background options appear to be missing.  (+10 to primary skill, +15 to secondary skill, 10 ranks w/s in a language, 5 ranks in a secondary skill, etc....)

This greatly limits my ability to use the program.  However, I purchased ERA to support my favorite game company.  For that reason alone, ERA was worth the price I paid for these three modules.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
First use of ERA for RMC.  My initial reaction was that I didn't like it.  I realize that you can't be all things to all people.  However, this may be because I don't understand the program fully.

My complaints, in no particular order:

1)  RMC has a lot of options, so no two GM's run the game the same way.  In setting up the program, you appear to have made a number of baseline assumptions that I don't use.  (Power point development, individual spell development, level bonuses using the RMSS conversion rules, etc....)

2)  I use the character development option "all characters get 40 DP per level, regardless of stats".  There doesn't appear to be a way to implement this.

3) Several background options appear to be missing.  (+10 to primary skill, +15 to secondary skill, 10 ranks w/s in a language, 5 ranks in a secondary skill, etc....)

This greatly limits my ability to use the program.  However, I purchased ERA to support my favorite game company.  For that reason alone, ERA was worth the price I paid for these three modules.

First of all, thanks for supporting the application, and for sharing your thoughts. This is the only way in which ERA can evolve and accommodate as many different play-styles as possible.

I believe some of your questions have appeared before, and the answers may be somewhere in the forum, but just to make sure you get a clean answer for them, here they go:

0) The location of the advanced settings directory for RMC is shown when you click on the about button on the main module selection screen. The settings file inside that directory is called "ERA-RMC-Settings.conf".

1a) Power Point Development: there is a setting inside the RMC Configuration file called:
PowerPointsFormula, which defaults to RMCPowerPointsFormula. This means that although you will see a Power Point Development skill, there is no need to develop it, as power points will be computed depending on the character level. In fact, to change the behavior so that the ranks are considered, you would have to change the setting to:
PowerPointsFormula = PowerPointsEqualToPowerPointDevelopment

1b) Individual spell development can also be omitted, although this is more of a manual procedure. The idea is that you should only develop the "Learn Portion" skill in the "Spell List Acquisition" category. Then, after you complete the level up process, roll for the acquisition. If successful, manually change the number of ranks for "Learn Portion" back to 0 and change the ranks for the list to the level learned.

1c) Level bonuses with RMSS conversion was chosen as the best compromise to offer a skill list and structure that was more compatible between different RM versions. You could get to other skill sets and level bonuses, if you would manually change some of the configuration files and then adjust the profession bonuses accordingly. This can all be done but it would require some care and at least basic XML knowledge.

2) To fix the number of development points you need to configure that in the settings file mentioned before. You will see by default a line that reads:
;DevelopmentPointsFormula = [RMCDevelopmentPointsFormula] | 50
The semicolon indicates that the line should be omitted and the default rule used. To change to a fixed amount, replace it with:
DevelopmentPointsFormula = 40
The next time you start the server, all characters will get 40 DPs to spend during level up.

3) Table 06-02 Set Options Category is not included in the Background Options when you purchase RMC Character Law... but I have no idea as to why. My guess is simply that I forgot and that nobody mentioned it until now. So rest assured that the next time an update is published this will be corrected... Thanks!

In any case, please consider reviewing the different topics discussed in the advanced customization thread, you might find interesting posts there as well.

I know that a set of better tutorial videos would work wonders to help explain the more advanced features of the system, but this requires time (specially to determine the contents of the video, then to record them), and I haven't yet been able to free that amount.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
I was about to add the missing background options for RMC today...
Then I found them!

You just have to look for:
plus 15 Secondary, plus 10 Primary, plus 1 Adder, Language, Stat Increase, 5 Ranks, Mannish Appearance, Unusual Tongue, Offset Racial Flaw

I intend to improve the user interface for this step of character creation in a future version, to make finding and selecting the options easier.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
In ERA for RMSS/FRP does the Everyman and Occupational skills get added to the skills automatically or is this a manual process?
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2015, 06:56:40 AM »
The RMFRP version pre-configures all O/E/R skills, and also automatically adjusts most professional/racial changes, such as Leadership for fighters, and so on.
Since the last update, you can also manually edit a skill and define its "Ranks gained per purchase": Occupational is 3, Everyman is 2, Restricted is 0.5.
To modify a skill, first click on the edit button to the left of the skill row, then click on the "More Update Options" button (it's a small cog).

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »
For some reason the Stats aren't carrying over from character creation? Save doesn't seem to work either.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2015, 06:51:17 AM »
For some reason the Stats aren't carrying over from character creation? Save doesn't seem to work either.

Just in case I tried creating a new character for RMFRP and RMC using the last version, and both seem to work just fine.

Are you using RMC? If so, remember that after rolling you need to assign them to the different stats, as seen in this part of the tutorial video.

I am not sure what you mean with "Save doesn't seem to work". If you know that stats aren't carrying over then save must have worked at some point. Are you referring to saving while using the Character Sheet Module? Do you get any specific error?

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
Thanks mate for your reply.

User error rather than software error. I have rewatched the tutorial videos - I can see what I was doing wrong.

I know it's picky and probably more work but I would like a RMC tutorial video as well.

Your software is great but I am not going to rate it until I understand it. (You are looking at 4/5)

The set up was a little fiddley and it took me a few goes to get the packages loaded.

Are you going to do companion 1 for RMC.

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
I was trying to add an image using RMC and got a "MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "asByteArray" is nil"
I am using Chrome
Windows 7

On this page
http://10.0.0.43:7777/CharacterSheet?_s=JUFFX1yeM7fmZ1-z&_k=p7Dh9qKa5qPZ9Tbl

From this location
<input accept="image/*" name="11" title="Choose an avatar image file for the character" onchange="$(&quot;.characterAvatarSelection&quot;).submit()" type="file" class="file">

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Can you save the NPCs you enter on the combat page?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
I was trying to add an image using RMC and got a "MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "asByteArray" is nil"

I had never encountered that message before! I tried some alternatives, and finally got it in my installation. It happened when the image selected was an empty file (a 0 bytes newly created file, with .png extension).
Could you send me a PM with the image you were trying to use?
In any case, I will try to improve the next version of ERA so that it gives a more clear message to the user. Thanks for your help in detecting this issue!

Can you save the NPCs you enter on the combat page?

NPCs will be saved with the adventure, so that you can continue to use them if you load the adventure at a later date, but they are not independent files to be reused in different adventures. For that, you would need the Creature Module, which is planned to be developed, but not in the near future, I would say six months at least until I can get to it. But don't despair, I may put up a poll before starting the next big feature, so that users can vote on what they find most useful, and that will give the Creature Module a chance to go up in the priority ladder.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
A major update for ERA is about to arrive.

This next version adds support for cultures in RMFRP.
It also brings the Large Critical Tables for those who purchased Arms Law and Spell Law in both RMFRP and RMC.
The background options step in the Character Creation Module has been redesigned to allow filtering by category and text provided by the user.

I have uploaded the demo version to the following links, so that you can test it during the next few days.

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

If no issues arise, I will send them over to Nicholas for update on RPGNow.

Let's hope RMU Beta 2 comes soon, I would love the next update to include it!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »
The update has been published to RPGNow.

The new version allows RMFRP characters to choose a culture during creation, and assign hobby ranks.
Those who have already purchased RMFRP Character Law can download the update, which includes all cultures.

Both RMC and RMFRP now include better support for Large and Super Large criticals.
Those who purchased any version of Arms Law or Spell Law should update and get the new files, since they include all relevant critical tables.

Apart from that:
- This version improves the Background Option/Talent step in character creation, to allow filtering by category and text.
- Avatars are now stored in the character file, so you can take them around to another installation and keep your good looks.
- The filter used in the character status module for spells has been improved, it should be now more friendly to those checking the spells they know from their mobiles during the adventure.
- The remaining percentage activity during RMC round declaration has gained some intelligence and will suggest the percentage remaining when adding actions.
- Quickness penalty is now listed in the armor detail in the character sheet module.
- Some maneuver tables and spell descriptions have been fixed.

That is all for now.
This means that my new priority is set to RMU. A version of ERA for RMU is in the works, and I intend to post demo versions with sample files as soon as I have them ready.

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »
Downloaded the RMC modules, it appears to be working ok. No errors so far. Even imported some pngs into the avatar folder and they worked.

If I want to add races professions and spell lists from the RM2 companions can I use notepad ++ and save as xml -using the existing fighter and common man Xml as my templates.

Are you thinking adding options like smoothed stats and so on.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2015, 05:07:53 AM »
If I want to add races professions and spell lists from the RM2 companions can I use notepad ++ and save as xml -using the existing fighter and common man Xml as my templates.

If that was a question, the answer is yes. The advanced customization thread has some posts you might find useful.

Are you thinking adding options like smoothed stats and so on.
The smoothed stat bonus distribution from RM2 Companion 1 is built into the system, since I use it with my gaming group. If you want it made available I could add an option to the configuration files in the next version, so that you could activate it.

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
Yep missed the ? :-)

I like the smoothed option if it's not a lot of work it would be cool if you can add it in.

Many thanks

Brad

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
Just so you know, I finally began phase 2 of the ERA tutorials.

This time, they are done using the latest version instead of my custom ruleset.
This time, they have my annoying voice guiding you through the steps.
This time, they are shorter so that you don't get bored watching.

I've updated the contents of the channel, to present them in the most logical order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqndcGXRX60&list=PLikcqMCKabCbuQT37rRjHCiZBdmUiIJF7

I've also unlisted old videos that contain features better explained in the new ones.

There are more videos on the way, if you like these ones.
For now, you get: feature overview, installation, RMFRP quick character creation, RMC quick character creation and RMC stat rolling and assignment.

Let me know what you think!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
I have tried to update my RMSS version that had all the new features but it will not load or replace the old version.
Knowledge is unimagined Power