Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 119735 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »
Although I would like to see to an alternative combat round to reflect that of CEATS II for RMSS.
You might be able to use the program as is for CEATS right now.

Merkir?  Am I right in thinking you basically just treat the second an action is going to finish as the initiative and whenever that players action comes up plug in a new initiative...? (So instead of doing everyone's initiative at once you do them as the players actions come up).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »
to use ceats myself

I track the counts in our mapping program maptools.... we even have a marco that will tell you how long an action will take you.

with the minion. we have just agreed that all effects will update at the 10 count.... if an effect was acrued in tha latter half of a 10 count I add one round then at the 10 count i hit the next round button and all effects are counted down one.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
From what I've read of CEATS, a single initiative roll is used for the entire encounter. There are optional rules to allow initiative to be re-rolled for all combatants every round (10 seconds). So if that is indeed the case, there's really nothing that needs to be changed or added to Minion. The Minion initiative system is timing agnostic. It simply orders combatants in initiative order which can then be used in any round sequence or timing system. And if ever an individual's initiative does need to change (by itself), that can also be done. This also resets the initiative sequence to the first actor, but the way CEATS works, that is quite ok. The GM using CEATS will be keeping a separate action timing record anyway and won't use the minion initiative sequence, only the initiative totals, to work out action timing in the usual CEATS way.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »
Unless it's a variation of our own modifications to what was originally CEATS...

I believe initiative only matters if two actions end on the same second.  So, the way I would use Combat Minion, I would make their 'initiative' (so far as CM is concerned) be what second their action is occurring (which would continually get higher).  The only monkey wrench in that might be which direction you're making the 'better' initiative (lower or higher number).  Basically the higher the number the later they are taking their action as far as CEATS would go.  Players would then only use their actual rolled initiative as a tie breaker...

But it's been a long time since we used a primarily CEATS based round.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
I noticed hw is not listed in the Critical Code Abbreviations.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Hi,
I bought the minion and really enjoy using it. I remember that at some point in some thread there was talk about it being downloadable and being usable without a connection to the internet. I am having a session coming up where I might not be able to access the net but would still very much like to use the tool. Is that somehow possible, to run it completely offline?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

You might have to refresh the page. It's been there since last release.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
initiative in ceats only marginally effects how fast you can complete actions.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
Hi,
I bought the minion and really enjoy using it. I remember that at some point in some thread there was talk about it being downloadable and being usable without a connection to the internet. I am having a session coming up where I might not be able to access the net but would still very much like to use the tool. Is that somehow possible, to run it completely offline?

I have just added the required changes to the development project, to make it run as a true web app, including offline use. For the technically inclined, this involved adding a new web manifest cache file and enabling the server to supply it as "text/cache-manifest" mime type.

This will be available at the next software release, expected within the next few days.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »

You might have to refresh the page. It's been there since last release.

Aha! I reentered the license and got the extra tables, but didn't refresh the app itself. guess i figured the app would refresh in the process.

On the options side, there could be an option to show damage taken (after the /) instead of hits left. That way players will be better able to keep track of their penalties for better timing of healing etc. At least if they're not doing any pencilwork during combat.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
Aha! I reentered the license and got the extra tables, but didn't refresh the app itself. guess i figured the app would refresh in the process.

The next release of the software will automatically update itself to the newest available version (if you're online of course). So the next release is the last one you will need to refresh manually. :)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
Would it be possible for a moderator to delete the poll at the beginning of the thread? I've copied and pasted the poll results for posterity. Thanks in advance.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »
Rolemaster Combat Minion - NEW RELEASE

v1.3.1 (18 Apr 2014) Web App Version for OFFLINE use
   - enabled Minion as a web app for offline use
   - added manifest cache (for above)
   - added auto-update: auto-detect and auto-download of new software releases

DESCRIPTION
This version allows OFFLINE use of Minion. It also adds software auto-update so that you will no longer need to refresh your browser to be able to use the latest version. Please follow the instructions below.

INSTRUCTIONS
Open the Minion web app (browse to www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion) and Refresh the page. Then close your browser and repeat. This will ensure the manifest cache is properly loaded on all browsers. This is the final time any type of browser refresh will be required. This will not affect your licensed tables or database of minion characters in any way.

TEST OFFLINE USE
If you intend to use the web app offline, please test first as follows:
   1. Go offline - disconnect your network cable, turn off wi-fi, etc.
   2. Confirm you are offline - browse to google.com and ensure the page DOESN'T load.
   3. Confirm the Minion Web App still works - browse to www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion and test all functionality.

If you experience any issues during offline use, please post here.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Would it be possible for a moderator to delete the poll at the beginning of the thread? I've copied and pasted the poll results for posterity. Thanks in advance.

Done.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2014, 03:58:48 AM »

v1.4 (21 Apr 2014) Companion Tables Release for RM2/Classic
   - added tables to the RM2/Classic licensed tables data file from the following companion products:
         Arcane Companion
         Fire & Ice Elemental Companion
         Martial Arts Companion
         The Armory

- Crit Codes list consolidated to show all crit, fumble and spell failures
   - fixed typos in RMSS/FRP licensed tables data file

INSTRUCTIONS
To install the new tables, simply re-use your original License # and License Key. Go to the options menu at the top-right of the Minion app and choose "Install Licensed Tables".

A reminder that licenses for the ICE Rolemaster tables data for Minion can be purchased here:
www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?keywords=rolemaster+combat+minion

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »

v1.4.1 (22 Apr 2014)
   - large and super large creature crits enabled
   - special crits enabled including mithril, magic, slaying, holy weapons and spells

DESCRIPTION
This version allows all of the special crit tables to be used including crits against Large & Super Large creature - mithril, magic, slaying, holy weapons and spells. These require purchase of the full rolemaster table set from rpgnow.com.

A reminder, the free web app can be found at  www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion.

Offline Yapadekoi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
Is there already a way to create our own attack table ?
Otherwise its a very good app it works pretty smoothly.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Is there already a way to create our own attack table ?
Otherwise its a very good app it works pretty smoothly.

With regard to the development roadmap, I'll be working (hobbying is a better word) roughly in order of the recent poll, but factoring in my estimation of difficulty/time factor, easiest upgrades getting more precedence. Here's the upcoming roadmap as I see it, subject to change of course:

1. Fumbles & spell failures
2. Button to clear all PC wounds (and NPC wounds)
3. Ability to add user-supplied tables
4. Base attack spells table / lookup
5. Show active spells and duration remaining
etc.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Is it possible to add a save function for the Encounter Logs. Sometimes I do want to save an old encounter log before I start a new encounter so I can go back and check things on that one.

It is not a big problem at the moment since I just copy and paste the information into a Word document before I start a new encounter but it would simplify things.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Is it possible to add a save function for the Encounter Logs. Sometimes I do want to save an old encounter log before I start a new encounter so I can go back and check things on that one.

It is not a big problem at the moment since I just copy and paste the information into a Word document before I start a new encounter but it would simplify things.

Yes, quite doable, although a much lower priority than some of the other tasks since as you quite correctly point out, you can just cut and paste the encounter log wherever you like at present.

Fumbles will be implemented next, and after that is done I consider the core Minion functionality complete. Extras added after that will just be cream.