Author Topic: Gen Con 2014  (Read 21971 times)

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
Re: Gen Con 2014
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
Is it allowed to record your event for uploading to YouTube or other such medium? Or live streaming?
I'm not seeing anything in the Event Host Policy about recording/streaming. I'd want to warn folks about that before they signed up and paid their 2$ tho.... maybe something to consider for future events?
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
I was just thinking about if there were people who would want to watch an event being played since they could not make it themselves. So there woudl be no interaction on the viewers part just watching what was going on and getting a feel for the game system and adventure.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
They managed to switch around my back to back events so that they are at the same table (Marriott :: Lincoln :: 7) - so got that going for me. I'm not going to do the video thing this year but I do plan on sharing all of the files/materials/scenario stuff I put together. Having fun right now putting together the character packages players get to choose from.
I'm bunking with a friend from another game company that's running a slew of events and has a bunch of space in the DM area, but I'm not sure which hotel we are at yet.
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
I was just wondering with the age of technology upon us if there were any Gen Con Reg's about Video Conferencing?  If they have not told you about it then I do not think that there are any.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
Looks like I'm staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown - schedule is almost put together. We still planning on getting together Sunday afternoon?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »
Looks like I'm staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown - schedule is almost put together. We still planning on getting together Sunday afternoon?
That puts you where your event is I think, right?  That'll be handy.

I think Sunday afternoon is the best time, if people are good with meeting up after the hall closes on Sunday (4pm).

I always book myself up for post-dealer hall hours Thurs-Sat.  Before I was able to get my hands on Paranoia, the new Star Wars, and Numenera slots it wasn't so bad... but Thurs/Fri I have one hour dinner breaks from only 6pm-7pm and I booked myself up pretty solid Saturday.  Going from 10am Sat morning until 1am Sun morning with only a 2 hour break at lunch.

I guess we'll need to pick a place and price range  Anyone with out of the ordinary preferences?  Vegetarian or Vegan?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
I guess we'll need to pick a place and price range  Anyone with out of the ordinary preferences?  Vegetarian or Vegan?

I'm okay with just about anything.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
We've got plenty of time to hash it out, it'd be good to have a plan before we all arrive, so...

Assuming all are going and can do late afternoon/early evening Sunday we have...?

Myself + 1 friend
Wolfhound (solo?)
Beggerking +1 friend?
Bruce +1 friend?
OldMan +1 wife?
Pyro + 3 wife/daughter/niece?

Food-wise I'm not sure how busy Sunday night is.  I'm betting it's busy post closing, so I can make reservations if possible.
I'm going to avoid the cheap 'fast-food' like places.  I'm sure we'll all be more happy at a 'nicer' sit down place.

Mid Price Range? (maybe $15-20 per person?)
~1 block from ICC: The Ram (I'm getting it'll be packed some of us might be "rammed out" by the end of the con).
~2 blocks from the ICC: Hard Rock Cafe (often a bit loud...)
~2 blocks from ICC: The Old Spaghetti Factory
~2-3 blocks from ICC: Napolese Pizza (likes kinda like it's individual pizzas?)
~2-3 blocks from ICC: Buca di Beppo (good, but family style - i.e. a plate will feed 3-6 people depending, so we'd have to decide on food by committee and bring cash to make it easier).

Upper-Mid Price Range? (maybe $25-35 per person?)
~1 block from ICC: Harry and Izzy's
~2-3 blocks from ICC: Weber Grill

Upper Price Range (probably $45+ per person?)
~ 1 block from ICC: St Elmo's Steakhouse (this one might hurt for you Pyro)
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Yes, likely to be solo, but very slim chance of 1 to 3 others.
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »
As for cheaper (read mid-ranged) places to eat at Gen Con, I've found the Colt's Grill to be under the radar of most attendees for some reason.  It caters to the gamers (video game room, sci-fi and fantasy movies playing, cosplaying waitstaff, and they were even giving away custom dice last year), has pretty good food (their pretzel appetizer was great!), and has never been very busy when I've gone there (about 5 times in the last two years).  For a place that is only a couple blocks from the ICC it seems to be a pretty well kept secret.

And I still haven't heard from my wife when she thinks we want to leave Sunday.  So I may or may not be able to make it.

I hope to see some of you guys there!
-Pyrotech

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
Hi all,

Sunday afternoon is probably iffy for my wife and I as well. We usually poop-out mid-afternoon and are on the road before the con and vendor close (4 pm).

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
We could try doing it earlier on Sunday, just not sure if anyone is hoping to do a final cruise through the dealer hall then or not.

I've got a couple hours between 5pm and 7pm on Thursday and it looks like none of the events Wolf/Beggar are running interfere with that.
- Cory Magel

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
Either earlier on Sunday or Thursday evening (so I have time to get back to the JW by 7:00pm) would work for me if others are available.  Don't have anything in particular scheduled at those times.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
My Thursday evening is booked :( - Sunday should work for me, although still juggling some stuff...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
Ok, looks like Sunday it is.  So Pyro and OldMan, I think you two just need to see how late the the ball and chain will let you stay. ;)
- Cory Magel

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
To further the noble cause of the Order of the Iron Crown, we are asking anyone who is running games at, or attending GenCon 2014 to get in touch to discuss any of the following options which they might be interested in taking part in:

• Having flyers available on their gaming tables
  • Writing pre and post GenCon blog entries
  • Live tweeting games / con experience
  • giving quotes/updates on preperations for GenCon for social media
  • Submitting pictures of GenCon/games for social media
  • Anything else that you think will assist you or the OIC

I'm not 100% what the rules are at GenCon relating to some of these points but they will be thoroughly researched if someone is interest.

Thanks for being the vanguard of the OIC, delving into the deep unknown to spread the word of the Iron Crown. You are kings amongst men.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »
Thanks - wouldn't be an RPG event for me without some RMing - will send you PM.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
  • Writing pre and post GenCon blog entries
  • Live tweeting games / con experience
  • giving quotes/updates on preperations for GenCon for social media
  • Submitting pictures of GenCon/games for social media

I will be doing some or most of these as I go through the event. Time/schedule permitting I will see if I can drop by an RMU slot and post some pictures from it.

Any hashtag thoughts? #oic? #oic-gencon?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2014, 01:59:32 AM »
I'd suggest #IronCrown and #gencon or #gencon2014. We want people who are just looking for GenCon related things to be able to find it as well as people that are looking for ICE specific things.

If you PM me your twitter handle I will follow you from the official ICE account to make sure I don't miss anything.

In fact, if any ICE forum members want to PM me their twitter handles I'll follow them. It would be nice to get some friends and familiar faces in the ICE feed. Don't get me wrong, I love Will Wheaton but adding some of you guys into the mix would be just swell.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »
In fact, if any ICE forum members want to PM me their twitter handles I'll follow them. It would be nice to get some friends and familiar faces in the ICE feed. Don't get me wrong, I love Will Wheaton but adding some of you guys into the mix would be just swell.

I don't spend much time with social media type things (these forums are about the extent of it for me), but Will Wheaton follows or comments on ICE's twitter feed?  While I knew he was a gamer, I didn't realize that he was interested in the ICE product lines.  On that note, that is something I've wanted to figure out how to contact the writing staff at Big Bang Theory about for years now, as with the characters on that show being the way they are, I'm sure that they would prefer games like Rolemaster, Spacemaster and Eve Online where there is logic and challenge to it rather than the games that they normally portray on the show (like the D&somethin' rpg and WoW).  Something like that would be a great publicity thing for ICE if such mention cold be made.  While the show may be nearing its end in the next few years (I would expect within another 1-3 years, even though I hope it doesn't), such a mention would do wonders for ICE's publicity as it is a great outlet for gamer geek culture.  Might be worth even considering sending free copies of the new RMU books once they are published to the Big Bang Theory staff or actors with a letter about such a possibility. 

But the unfortunate part is that the writers aren't supposed to read anything on the internet that is written about the show (so that people can't claim that they "stole an idea" from some fan).  So how to get something like that in front of them to hopefully get it mentioned on the show is the difficult part.