Author Topic: First Rolemaster campaign, are we making the right choices?  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: First Rolemaster campaign, are we making the right choices?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 04:33:01 AM »
I never really liked the Magus prof.  I had one, in a campaign everyone started at level 45 + 3d10.  The six players were the reincarnation of humanities greatest guardians...well, its a long story, but the game was a smashing success and SO very much fun.  The BE NOT spell made the game rather complicated at times.  For example, deep in a glacier was a chamber sealed by a massive ice door.  The door was trapped with the BE NOT spell.  When the sorcerer vaporized the door, he was unmade, and an old woman Animist took the young male sorcerers place and the door rematerialized...since the original sorcerer never existed, another sorcerer took his place instead.  They never did get into that room  8)

I rolled with a Magus-Wizard a few years back and he was a blast. In fact, he was so much a blast that eventually we called it quits and started anew when it became clear that he was only going to get more and more powerful, much more so than the rest of the other PCs.

Baaaaack on-topic. I tend to allow (it's actually recommend, but you get the idea) only experienced players roll potentially unbalancing professions as they usually know to show restraint and play more cooperatively than comparatively new players who might be tempted to take it all on themselves given enough ammo.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 10:29:41 PM »
I had one, in a campaign everyone started at level 45 + 3d10.
I want to play in that game.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
I had one, in a campaign everyone started at level 45 + 3d10.
I want to play in that game.

Took place in the modern world, played from 95-96.  The only survivor was the Nightblade. 

100,000 years ago, mankind was very different in form and ability.  Their innate psionic abilities caused great harm to a species in another dimension,  Eventually, the forces of that dimension, led by the god like Set, invaded in a desperate attempt to extinguish mankind and save their home.  The psionic powers of humanity drained their home and left it a dead, dying place.  Mankind initially had no idea why this alien terror was so intent on extinguishing man.

The war ended with a cataclysm, what we know as the explosion of the Sumatra super volcano.  To save mankind, the Council worked a nighty magic, altering mankind into its current form, robbing them of their innate psionic abilities.  They were transported to what is now Ethiopia and became the ancestors of all mankind.

A tower was built by The Council.  A living construct, it retained all the knowledge of the ancient humans.  The Council of Six understood that in time, Sets sentience would reform and mankind would be defenseless against the inevitable onslaught.  The stored their very souls within the construct, working mighty wards and spells that would insure they returned to face Set and protect Mankind.

So, this was one of those games were you played yourself.  A SM character was made at the start of the game followed by the awakening.  Modern characters were level 7-12.  Basically, you had two character sheets.

Was a long, fun campaign.  Got to use some of those high level spells in RMCIV...or was it RMCV?  Time shows no mercy.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.