Author Topic: +10 BAR vs +10 ESF vs +10 Caster level  (Read 1846 times)

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
+10 BAR vs +10 ESF vs +10 Caster level
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
which one would you rather have, and why?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the magic rules, as I've always played a melee killing machine in full plate etc - or at most a Noble Warrior where it wasn't as important knowing all these things.

Help a fellow out? :)
Why procrastinate today when you can do it tomorrow?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: +10 BAR vs +10 ESF vs +10 Caster level
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
Are you more concerned with casting the spell quickly in combat (i.e. getting it off successfully without failure) or having it affect an unwilling combatant?

--+10 ESF will help you cast the spell more quickly or in more armor by reducing your failure rates, but it won't make the spell any harder to resist.

--+10 BAR and/or +10 Caster level will not help you cast the spell any more quickly or safely, but it will make the spell harder to resist. Unless you are playing a high level campaign, I would say +10 Caster Level would be the better of the two.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
+10 caster level would be too powerful. It means spells can be cast quicker (as these suffer big ESF modifiers when cast in less than 3 rounds if within 3 lvls of the caster and  in less than 2 rounds if between 6 and 4 lvls below the caster's. Then there's the RR attack level that will be affected, resulting in a (from the top of my head) 25 higher target for the victim.

ESF is actually an additional maneuver, required if the caster is not following the rules for normal casting. Every time the caster is not using at least a hand, preparing for the correct time, etc. If your character is planning to stick to the rules: don't bother with a +10 ESF. If your character is going to do overcasting, or underpreparing: go +10 ESF because bonuses are rare for this maneuver. Usually it is also restricted to a certain spell list or type of spell.

BAR is the meat and bones of a non-elemental caster. +10 means less chance of failure, and a bias of the RR modifier resulting from the BAR of +5.
Game On!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
Is that caster level for purposes of casting rolls and RR, or for purposes for spell durations, ranges, etc? That also could be fairly major.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
I agree +10 caster level is huge and is something I have used in some rings of power (like ME stuff)
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:27:20 AM »
Is that caster level for purposes of casting rolls and RR, or for purposes for spell durations, ranges, etc? That also could be fairly major.

I agree +10 caster level is huge and is something I have used in some rings of power (like ME stuff)
MDC

I overlooked to mention that, but caster level upgrades should, indeed, be in the artifact level range, IMHO.
Game On!

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, I only had a slight idea that they were used for such varied things.

I should probably mention that my class will be a Magus, so if +Caster Level is out the window (and I agree, it does sound very powerful) then I guess BAR and ESF have equal "power rating". BAR is a no brainer, but ESF as I often overcast (tempering for example) or cast a spell quicker than supposed to.
Why procrastinate today when you can do it tomorrow?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
That being said, let's notice that there are rules to create +10 caster's level items (or rather, there's an associated enchanted properties' cost; also, the level increase may be for one list, for one spell type, or for all spell lists) or +10 ESF items (ring + there are spells that decrease the ESF modifications, thus have the same effect as increasing the ESF roll), but I can't find how one could create (going "by the rules") +10 BAR items. Is there any spell that gives a bonus to the BAR?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.