Author Topic: About to start playing RM2, what other books should we get second hand?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline craenor

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
We have...

Character & Campaign Law
Spell Law
Arms & Claw Law
Rolemaster Companions 1, 2 and 3.
Creatures & Treasures
Cloudlords of Tanara

...and that's it.

Anything else we should buy? I've played a lot of Rolemaster, but I never ran it, and it was over a decade ago. If there are any other books (or modules) you might strongly recommend, I can take to EBay, Amazon, Half Price Books, etc. and find them.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: About to start playing RM2, what other books should we get second hand?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
It depends a great deal on what you want from your game. My generic recommendation is to go ahead with what you have, keeping an eye open for good deals to expand your collection, and seeking out specific works as you discover you want something for your particular game (e.g., if you start feeling a need for more creatures to encounter, that's the time to make sure you have Creatures & Treasures II). What you have is enough to keep you busy for awhile and its easier to decide if you want a new option once you have a handle on how the game runs without it.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
  You can also pick up RMSS/FRP Creatures and Monsters as it if fairly close to the RM2 stuff.

Other than that I think you are fine but it really depends on what you are trying to do. Are you starting an entire new world, and want to build everything from the ground up? Are you adapting other material to the game? Do you wan to play in a pre-made world? (shadoworld fits the pre-made RM2 world)

MDc
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline HighNDry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:52:59 AM »
Honestly thats a great starting point. I like Companion 3 & 4, but they are def not needed. I'd recommend mastering what you have there and if your players are requesting extra professions or have a need for later companions get them as needed.

Making a good 3 ring binder with tabs setup for quick finding the tables/rules you need was a bigger help as GM than anything else out group has used. Plus ICE has tons of older Shadow World and MERP books for adventures and atlases. We used to convert rules for any sourcebook we liked.

Offline craenor

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice here. Are there any modules that people would strongly recommend?

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A bit late now I know, as you've already started, but RoCo IV is great as it gives costs for the talents in RoCO I.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist