Author Topic: EarthNode Radii  (Read 1896 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
EarthNode Radii
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Since I work as a GIST (Geographic Information System Technician), I finally had a fuzzy1 on viewing EarthNode sizes using a real world example.  I will refer to EarthNodes as Node(s) hereafter.

Thus, I created Node sizes using the ArcMap Multi-Buffer function.  Since I had ALL orthophotos for New Hanover County in North Carolina, I decided to use Wilmington, NC as the basis for the Node radii.  The center point for each radii is the intersection of Front Street and Market Street (Wilmington's postal center point).

Each set of 10 radii is based on a certain radius as listed with each image.  For example, the first image shows the set of radii equal to 10 feet each radius, ranging from 10ft to 100ft.  The bottom image shows the set of radii equal to 1000 feet each radius.

I created this so GMs could get a decent idea of the size of a Node when they want to set Nodes to size classes.  For example, on my world of Onaviu, I have set Nodes to 6 size classes: Lesser (up to 25ft), Minor (50ft), Major (100ft), Greater (250ft), Superior (500ft), and Supreme (1000ft).  Some GMs may want smaller size classes, some larger.  The below images with real world constructs should help some in deciding the size classes you may want.

I some of the images, you will see the battleship USS North Carolina.  The North Carolina is 728 feet long with an extreme berth of 108 feet.

Enjoy.

Radii = 10 to 100 feet

Radii = 25 to 250 feet

Radii = 50 to 500 feet

Radii = 100 to 1000 feet

Radii = 250 to 2500 feet

Radii = 500 to 5000 feet

Radii = 1000 to 10,000 feet

rmfr

1P.S. - "Fuzzy" is the name a previous RPG group came up with around 1989 to call those thoughts that "just suddenly pop into your mind coming from nowhere."
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: EarthNode Radii
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »
  Nice real world examples.

As a side note you might get a knock on the door from the G Men as those look a lot like bomb/blast radii.
 ;D
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
I've been thinking of something similar with Power Perception. Thanks for the idea. Good job.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
I've been thinking of something similar with Power Perception. Thanks for the idea. Good job.

Good idea.  The radii could be used for that also.  Thanks provdence.

rmfr

P.S. - Just noticed an error.  In the last paragraph, it starts, "I some of the images, ...".  This should read "In some of the images, ...", but y'all may have figured that out.

EDIT: Added a previous type correction.
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.