Author Topic: Guild Companion June 2011 (Issue 148)  (Read 7107 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion June 2011 (Issue 148)
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion, Issue 148 is available at www.guildcompanion.com.

This month’s issue includes “The Art of Fighting, Part 3,” a discourse on hafted weapons including axes, hammers and maces.  For RMSS we offer the “Mystical Archer,” a new profession that specializes in ranged combat and survival in the wild.  As always, we’re seeking new submissions, so fire up your keyboards and send your articles to guild-edit@silent-tower.org.

Peter Mork
Acting Guild Companion Editor

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Guild Companion June 2011 (Issue 148)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
I like the Mystic Bow List.
The Mage in our party has the "Magic Staff" List for his longbow. Our spells are very similar.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
  I also like the Mythic Archer but I have to take a closer look at Arrow List as it does seem a bit too powerful to me.

I would also ask again to have a PDF link to the PDF of each article at the bottom of the page as it makes it easy to add to my excellent collection of TGC articles.
 I would also ask for the 3 articles that deal with a new way to look at weapons as a PDF as I also think it would be very helpful to may people.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »
Numbing arrow at 3rd level, when a strike auto disables a limb, is very powerful. Even if the duration is 5 minutes, thats longer than the longest fight. Its like getting an "arm/leg useless" crit.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:57:49 AM »
I like the Mystic Bow List.
The Mage in our party has the "Magic Staff" List for his longbow. Our spells are very similar.
Yes, the "Magic Staff" list is basically only allowed for staffs i.e. a quarterstaff as weapon. The "Mystic Bow" list is meant as a variant of this list customized for an archer-type profession.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:05:02 AM »
I also like the Mythic Archer but I have to take a closer look at Arrow List as it does seem a bit too powerful to me.
Numbing arrow at 3rd level, when a strike auto disables a limb, is very powerful. Even if the duration is 5 minutes, thats longer than the longest fight. Its like getting an "arm/leg useless" crit.
Please consider that most spells on the "Mystical Arrows" list only work if the arrow achieves a critical and the target fails his RR. Otherwise the spell and the power points were wasted.

In the case of the Numbing Arrow there is the additional requirement that the critical has to indicate a limb being struck. So if the arrow shot results in a critical + the critical indicates a limb being struck + the target fails the RR, then it is indeed quite powerful. But since chances are quite low that all of this happens with a shot, I think the effects of the spell are perfectly acceptable.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:08:30 AM »
Ah, ok. The RR makes things a bit better.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »

Yes, the "Magic Staff" list is basically only allowed for staffs i.e. a quarterstaff as weapon. The "Mystic Bow" list is meant as a variant of this list customized for an archer-type profession.

Although much of the old RoCo's is too powerful for my game, Magic Staff has worked well for us. In the old version, it does state that other weapons are possible. Using this with a long bow, it is powerful but prohibitive at the same time. Most "effects" require arrows and others don't translate to a long bow at all. So the player spent DP for a few empty slots; just like other spell lists. Also, as the bonus to OB is on the 'bow', in my game, the magic is not on the arrow. So if a magic weapon is required to hit a creature, the normal arrow doesn't qualify, even though it may have a magic bonus to OB or x2 hits.
It's worth noting that the player always has his hands occupied with the 'staff', or his spells suffer. The Mage in our group finds that he can rarely put his 'staff' down to even dig through his pack, because of the -20 to cast, just in case something jumps him unawares..
But the player loves it for it's ability to store spells and be always at hand with the Recall ability.
The Mystic Archer List has come along at the right time. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
Back in the day when the Druidstaff list first came out (RoCo1?), I decided then that some variation was applicable to any item the user could create himself.

So yes, if you're a follower of the War God, whose symbol is a morningstar, you can have a morningstar that does pretty much all of that stuff... once you get enough skill in weaponsmithing to craft one. For the basic staff spell I'll allow a bonus to the crafting, but it doesn't make it possible for someone who has no relevant skills at all.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
Although much of the old RoCo's is too powerful for my game, Magic Staff has worked well for us. In the old version, it does state that other weapons are possible.
Sorry, I was still in the RMSS/RMFRP context I created the Mystical Archer for. Therefore I thought you were referring to the Magic Staff spell list from the RMSS Essence Companion. And that list AFAIK does only allow a staff to be enchanted and not other weapons.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
To me it wouldn't matter what game system I put the concept into. It's making an item part of your "self", like a familiar or a homunculus. If you don't put the time, skill and labor into making it part of your "self", that kind of magic won't work on it. If you do, it will. The nature of the object or creature is immaterial other than the unique problems and features it presents in becoming part of your "self".

That way yes, the paladin's weapon can be a personalized uber powerful weapon like that... but only if the paladin in question really dedicates himself to it. I doubt most semi spellcasters would make the necessary commitment.

If you really want to be nasty, for the extremely powerful spells of that nature you could require them to go further still. They have to grow the tree from which the staff is cut, they have to mine and smelt the ore from which the sword is struck.

I don't know if it's true, but supposedly the Vikings had a saying: A blade isn't truly yours until it has tasted your blood. There's no end of "dedication" and "sacrifice" you can require for something like this.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
Yeah, I hear some longbows take 20 years to dry. Not so bad if you're an elf, but humans would have a tougher time of it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
 I think what I would like to see for an archer spell list would be some mods for attacking threw combat. But then you would need some rules for penalties for firing through combat as well. I also like the RQ spell multi-missile and think that would be a great spell idea with various interpretations of it. The standard 2 attacks at one target, 2 different attacks at targets no more than X degrees apart and area fire attacks sort of like the fire ball attack spell in the Mystic Archer list or maybe 1 attack roll against every target in a specific area with a specific missile weapon.

For the Mystic Archer I had also thought about requiring the top weapon category to be missile but then I said to myself should that be applied to all in that profession. Will not some have an easier time learning missile weapons than others. I think the variation would be better than requiring the top weapon category be required for the profession.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
Is it only on my connection that the Indo - persian hafted weapon are missing the stats?
There are no statistics on those weapons what so ever.
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
No, there's a whole blank table there. Well, nearly blank: it does have weapon names and types.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 07:21:53 AM »
The "Words to the Wise" article says that the weapons article was damaged when they received it and something about not being able to figure out the numbers. To me, the sensible thing would have been to contact the author and get the numbers (and to not publish what amounts to a broken article).

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:04 AM »
Utters "Powerword Fix-it True"
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
The "Words to the Wise" article says that the weapons article was damaged when they received it and something about not being able to figure out the numbers. To me, the sensible thing would have been to contact the author and get the numbers (and to not publish what amounts to a broken article).

In a perfect world, that would have been the sensible thing to do.  However, this being a far cry from a perfect world, that course of action was not feasible.  Corrections will be posted as soon as they become available.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
  The world is not perfect! Man I have to go change my will.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
How's that old t-shirt caption go?

"Jesus Saves"

"Everyone else takes damage."

:o