Author Topic: (How to convert Monsters, Characters/NPCs & Items...From D&D to RM?)  (Read 6712 times)

Offline mfvdd

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
(How to convert Monsters, Characters/NPCs & Items...From D&D to RM?)

I've read a lot of forum posts regarding conversion between systems and there does NOT seem to be any definitive conversion method.

Some D&D monsters have counterparts in RM (ex. goblins, hobgoblins - are in most fantasy rpgs), but others like bugbears (I know what they are in D&D) or

vargouille, there are no direct equivalents in RM.

So I'm back to my original question - How to convert Monsters, Characters/NPCs & Items...From D&D to RM?

I've played both D&D and RM, love RM system - do NOT like D&D system. The one major thing RM lacks , are adventures written for it. So I've been trying to

convert D&D modules to RM. (D&D's strengths are a lot of adventures and monsters) (RM's strength is an awesome, realistic system)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: (How to convert Monsters, Characters/NPCs & Items...From D&D to RM?)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:17 AM »
We play a Greyhawk RMFRP game as do others on this board. You'll likely find a FR game as well.

Since these games have different mechanics from D&D, you might not convert 1:1 and be totally happy.
But you can get to a happy medium.

My old as dirt D&D stuff doesn't go beyond 2.0 and most is 1st ed.
That's as far as I want it to go, so I can't convert from anything higher.

Converting items can be a bit tricky.
My experience is that D&D items are generally more powerful than average RM items.
Most spells cast from items won't be above 10th lvl. It takes an incredibly powerful caster (to work these awesome 20th lvl spells, every day for the entirety of creation. RM casters should be a few levels higher than the spell they are casting just to be confident.
Casting doesn't blow off your head in D&D if you fumble. In fact, there is little to no chance of casting failure as long as your Int is adequate.

Everyone has a system, but IMHO, a 3rd lvl character in RM is a 1st lvl character in D&D. In our games, we start play at 3rd lvl.

Greedy Mage Syndrome:
 Magic items with cool abilities must be Attuned. This skill is much easier to learn if you're a Mage. Under RM normal rules, those who Attune to items get experience. But only the Mage can really afford to buy Ranks in Attunement...
Also, most of the Items found by PC's were of Essence. Now there is little to no chance for the Thief who happened to pick Channeling as his realm to Attune to treasure.
This forced me to go through and ask, who made item "x", why and what was their realm of power? This helps flesh out the campaign but does take more work. There are a ton of 2-bit magic items in most D&D modules. Go through and make a history and Realm for each one. It's going to matter when your players start casting spells to discern use. Maybe the Mage can only cast Detect Essence and the Mystic can only Detect Power... They might never find out the powers of a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Treasure:
Assume a silver standard. Make everything the module states in "gold pieces" to be in silver... and then maybe cut them in half. Greedy players whine but bored rich characters are spoiled.

Creatures:
The vargouille (Penanggalan?) sure looks like a disembodied head from Creatures & Monsters. Bite, nausea, etc.

Is there something specific that you want to convert?
My game may be totally different from yours, but I'll help if I can.

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline mfvdd

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:11:03 AM »
I'm using a short adventure "A Dark and Stormy Night". There is a 'bugbear zombie', I have played AD&D I know what a Bugbear is, but there's NO equivalent in RM. I wish there was a standardized & definitive conversion method to convert any of the 'monsters' from D&D to RM. I want to able to 'monstermanual' and convert  those moonsters to RM.

I do like your take on the 'Greedy Mage Syndrome' in regards to items being attuned that would be some interesting game play.

Treasures in D&D are very generous, it feels 'Monty Hall' to me. I agree that there would be a reduction per 'silver standard'.

Creatures: I overlooked the 'disembodied head' in CM, I'll use it as a template for the vargouille.

providence13; How would you convert a bugbear? Maybe I'll get some inspiration. EX: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bugbear_Zombie

Thanks for your time

Attached is a stat conversion pdf I found. Do you think this is accurate? Need feedback.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:27:18 AM by mfvdd »

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
Vulfen is pretty close, though perhaps they're better Gnoll analogues.

Actually, they're medium sized creatures, with no bite or claw attack, so the bugbear zombie is fairly easy to convert.

It's a zombie, with a slight variation in appearance. . .I'd use either the Zombie or the Class II created undead, perhaps fiddle around with the level slightly (using the rules in CT or CM for adjusting monster level).

The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
Bugbears ala 1979 are large (7+' tall) hairy goblins. Really strong with thrown spears and able to "surprise" 50% of the time.

IMHO, the Scrug orc should do fine. Give it +10 on MM bonus and make it MD/MF instead of SL/MF because they are described as moving very quickly and with great stealth. Giving them a few Ranks in Stalk and Hide wouldn't hurt.

60' Infravision easily converts to Nightvision, but they don't suffer penalties during the day.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline mfvdd

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
Attachment:
  I posted an attachment to my forum post, but I don't see it. I want to get your takes on the conversion data...
I seem to remember seeing, in one of the RMC books there were guidelines to convert from D20 system to RM.., if anyone knows in which book that info is , please post.

Below is the url to the attachment

http://www.the-gaming-resource.com/documents/Conversion-Guidelines-for-Rpgs.pdf

I checked out the 'bugbear' in the different editions of D&D - AD&D that the creature appears in. Between 1st ed & 2nd ed, little difference; the biggest difference occurs between 2nd ed & 3rd ed (major - creatures are more powerful) & 3rd ed & 4th ed only slight difference.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
My apologies as I missed the attachment, and all attachments must be approved first.

In this case, I am somewhat hesitant to approve the attachment for inclusion on the ICE forums due to the amount of rules specific content that is included for other systems.  Your URL link should suffice to provide access for forum members so I will be denying the file attachment.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=3082.0

This chart works well for me. Still, it might need a bit of tweaking to fit into your game world.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
Come to think of it, I never really liked the idea of magic items that work simply because they're magic. HARP's list of exceptions for the need for attunement makes sense.

Also, the advice in here will help me convert NPCs and monsters to the RM-similar system HARP.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
For me, the hard conversions are the more complicated creatures like beholders.
Start with an eye entity, chop off the wings and skin like a rhino.
Add a Med to Large Bite..
But then do you assign spell powers or entire Lists?
It was probably created with the Amalgam Lists, but
I'm thinking of making it Mentalism.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
I think 1:1 mapping of the spells would be truer to the original, but whole lists would be more rolemastery.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
Beholder eyes are more like built-in wands than spell-casting. I'd keep the individual powers. Or rather, I did, as the Beholder was one of the very few AD&D monsters I thought worth converting to RM.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
It has been MANY years since I've posted and not sure if this thread is even still alive... but I am converting my entire party from 3rd Ed. D&D to RMC... is the 'chart' that's refered to below available some place???

Please and thank you!

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=3082.0

This chart works well for me. Still, it might need a bit of tweaking to fit into your game world.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
Yes

https://www.scribd.com/document/13674164/Conversion-Guidelines-for-Rpgs
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »
Yes

https://www.scribd.com/document/13674164/Conversion-Guidelines-for-Rpgs

Thanks for posting that. I do love to raid the monster manual.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »
Tim Dugger once wrote a guide. I have this link but someone here may have the document (I don't think Tim is still reading the forums...) and may want to upload it here or in the Vault.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
Depending on which version of D&D you are wanting to convert from, there is a conversion note in the Creatures & Treasures #1400 ( greenish cover with a medusa ). On page 92 there are notes for converting AD&D to RM, as well as conversion rules from Runequest as well.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 11:10:01 PM »
thank you all very much!
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 05:09:32 AM »
Depending on which version of D&D you are wanting to convert from, there is a conversion note in the Creatures & Treasures #1400 ( greenish cover with a medusa ). On page 92 there are notes for converting AD&D to RM, as well as conversion rules from Runequest as well.
I don't think anyone is using AD&D 1st edition any longer! :p
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 05:56:45 PM »
I don't think anyone is using AD&D 1st edition any longer! :p
I prefer 2nd AD&D myself, none of the other editions have kept my attention long enough. My group is currently taking a break from ICE games at the moment for a change of pace, so I am currently giving 5th edition a try. It is a bit simple for my taste.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.