Author Topic: March, Issue 145  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
March, Issue 145
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion:
The August issue is now available at http://www.guildcompanion.com

It is a sad day for us here, as Nicholas has stepped down as General Editor of The Guild Companion E-zine, and we have been scrambling (with what help he can spare and quite a bit of patience on the part of Rob in helping us work towards getting the March Issue uploaded.  However this change also opens up some possibilities as several of the section editors have agreed to work together to try to fill Nicholas' shoes as general editor.  The details of these changes can be found in the monthly editorial.  Likewise these changes have been a learning experience for some of us as we see the work that goes into preparing each monthly issue.  We are working to organize better and bring the next issue online closer to the beginning of the month, and as such I want to personally apologize for it appearing more than a week late.

We have two interesting articles this month.  One is a Death Critical Strike (with suggestions of where and how to utilize it) written by Wayne Johnson and edited by Peter Mork.  The other entitled Ars Certo and written by Peter Mork and edited by Andrew Warren and Marc Rosen, adds some interesting options for expanding the available skills and choices that can be used in combat to bring warrior types up to nearly the same level of tactical flexibility that spell casters have available.

Have fun and enjoy,

Aaron Smalley
The Guild Companion- Spacemaster Editor
Issue 145 General Editor
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: March, Issue 145
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
I wish all of you the best of luck.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
Thanks.

Also wanted to find out if there was much interest from our readers in expanding the coverage of The Guild Companion to include other small-press games?  What I'm thinking here is that we have in the past done this to a minor degree, but not very extensively, however if we did so more aggressively, then it will expand the readership of the Guild Companion and could expand the fan base of the Iron Crown games as well as other small press games.  At it is, most of these small press games are struggling to complete against the couple of larger games out there who hold most of the market share, and this might be a way to help out not only ICE, but other small game publishers as well. 

Comments?  Suggestions?  Recommendations?

Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
 I was just going to start a thread on this topic. What games did you have in mind?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
If you can get articles of acceptable quality, go for it. It isn't like it's a print magazine and they'd compete with ICE game material for pages.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
I'm thinking any other good quality small-press game that has a half-way decent sized fan base but that doesn't already have a magazine (print or electronic) that provides information and news coverage.  One good example would be the HERO system (which used to be linked to ICE in the past anyways), as it is a small press game with a moderately large and loyal fan base.  Or for that matter any other system that people would like to see stuff from.  FUDGE might be another good one to cover. 

As an example in the early days of the Guild Companion we did reviews for games such as The Everlasting and Dominion Rules, just to name a couple (I know there were others as well, but I can't recall the names). 

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »
www.realroleplaying.com might be a good place to troll for broader contributions. . .just about any non d20 game is in play there.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
I'm in favour of it.  Which isn't that suprising since I did some of the reviews of other games early on.  I think I did "Blood of Heroes" and "Metamorphosis Alpha" and a couple GURPS items (and, yes, I realize GURPS isn't really small press).
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
If it will generate more traffic at TGC then go, go, go! More than likely you'll gain more article contributors if you open it up to other systems. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.