Author Topic: 3 questions for Spell Law  (Read 2314 times)

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
3 questions for Spell Law
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:53 AM »
I'm stunned, after rereading Spell Law (the Classic version), I found out that we wrongly interpreted the rules for the last 15 years :D

However I would like to double-check, to be sure that these are not small "bugs", which went into the Rolemaster Classic version ;)

1) BCR (SL 4.1, page 37):
"...makes a 1-100 BCR adding in any level bonuses:
<...>
If the BCR is 01-02, the spell fails."

Does that mean that a level 2 pure spellcaster does not have to roll for his (same level or below) Non-Attack spells anymore? Because he get +2 to his BCR, resulting in a minimum roll of 3, which means the spell succeeds? I can't find anything regarding "UM"!

2) BAR (SL 4.2, page 38, section: "Base Attack Table" and page 268, the table itself)
"...Then choose one of the two columns under that realm which applies to the target..."
Does that mean the columns are not for the caster but for the target? That means that a level 1 Mentalist casting a spell on a warrior with metal helmet needs to roll a 24 (+1 level =25) under normal circumstances (no other mods), that he does not have to make a fumble roll? Wow, that is quite dangerous!

3) ESF (SL 3.8, page 34)
"...then added to the 01-02 UM failure..."
And finally does that mean that it is NOT added to the "F" range of the BAR table on page 268? Of course only as long as the resulting UM value is lower than the normal "F" result of the column.

Please confirm... I have to rethink spell casting in RMC :D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 3 questions for Spell Law
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:56:49 AM »
<...>

Does that mean that a level 2 pure spellcaster does not have to roll for his (same level or below) Non-Attack spells anymore? Because he get +2 to his BCR, resulting in a minimum roll of 3, which means the spell succeeds? I can't find anything regarding "UM"!

That is supposed to be an Unmodified 01-02 always results in failure. Consider that a typo on Mjolnir's part - we didn't clarify it properly.

2) BAR (SL 4.2, page 38, section: "Base Attack Table" and page 268, the table itself)
"...Then choose one of the two columns under that realm which applies to the target..."
Does that mean the columns are not for the caster but for the target? That means that a level 1 Mentalist casting a spell on a warrior with metal helmet needs to roll a 24 (+1 level =25) under normal circumstances (no other mods), that he does not have to make a fumble roll? Wow, that is quite dangerous!

Yes, the columns are for the target. Remember, under the core rules, the caster cannot be wearing those sorts of armors to begin with or else he cannot cast at all.

3) ESF (SL 3.8, page 34)
"...then added to the 01-02 UM failure..."
And finally does that mean that it is NOT added to the "F" range of the BAR table on page 268? Of course only as long as the resulting UM value is lower than the normal "F" result of the column.

The ESF mods are added to the unmodified fumble range. Meaning that if you has an ESF Mod of 15, your unmodified fumble range is now 1-17.

This ESF mod of the UM range has no effect on the regular failure range unless the mod exceeds the regular range. Remember, if you fall into the new UM range, you have to add 3x the ESF mod to any failure rolls.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Ok, thanks Tim! At least 1 and 3 are as we played it!

And for point 2, well, I think, I had that before, that playing for a very long time with the same people does not mean that you don't make failures. We never played that :D
I assume this time my spelluser will be much more afraid of warriors as they were ever before ;)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
The BAR chart is the best reason to wear armor in Rolemaster.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »
Certainly one of the best reasons to wear a tin foil hat.  ;)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:05:41 AM »
<...>

That is supposed to be an Unmodified 01-02 always results in failure. Consider that a typo on Mjolnir's part - we didn't clarify it properly.

Should't that be added to the Errata?