Author Topic: The Open RPG Community License or ORC  (Read 683 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Open RPG Community License or ORC
« on: January 26, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »
This is big news, Paizo is spearheading a new license called the Open RPG Community License (ORC).  This was in response to what Wizards of the Coast is doing with the OGL.  How does this affect ICE?  Well, there are a number of RPG publishers that signed on to the ORC.  I'm wondering if ICE would follow suit.

The Paizo Blog link about the ORC is here: https://paizo.com/community/blog

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Open RPG Community License or ORC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 02:49:00 PM »
I've been following this too, but I'm not sure if it would apply at all to ICE, which doesn't use a D20 system. Is there any way it would?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 05:20:21 PM »
I've been following this too, but I'm not sure if it would apply at all to ICE, which doesn't use a D20 system. Is there any way it would?

I thought the license could work for High Adventure Role-Playing. Also, it could work for ICE for RMU at some point.  But the ORC doesn't have to be just for d20 systems.  Pinnacle Entertainment had joined the ORC alliance and they mostly do Savage Worlds RPG.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:09:35 PM »
Right now it's just a discussion, the license doesn't exist yet, so it's hard to say how it will work. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 07:15:00 AM »
They could certainly join the discussion.  Helping craft the license doesn't mean you have to use it.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:17:21 AM »
100%.

If anything just supporting the concept for the license itself allows for Mindshare in the gaming community for/of Rolemaster/I.C.E.!

“Hey that’s that OG game ChartMaster I remember mocking aeons ago!  Good on them for getting on board with the gaming community in general!”