Author Topic: EP System  (Read 3691 times)

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
EP System
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
Hello

I run RMC and RMFRP games but I've never used the EP assignment system before since I fear it would slow down the game a bit too much. Still, I'm wondering at which pace would my player's PCs level up if I used the official way to give EPs. I made a few calculations on the top of the hat and it seems to me the pace would but much faster than those we currently enjoy in our gaming sessions. For a 4th level party scenario featuring 1 lvl 10 opponent (a creature they've never fought before), one lvl 8 et 6 lvl 5 (not at the same time naturally) and let's say around 10 significant maneuver rolls, the EPs I should grant  would be over 10 000 per player (counting idea points and everything). Thus a challenging scenario could shoot you from one lvl to the next. Maybe I forgot something since I just jolt down a few numbers here and there to make my calculation on a purely theorical level (it wasn't even based on an actually scenario). Is there somebody here who could give me some insight about official EPs awarding guidelines and how fast do the PCs level up using these mechanics ?
thx

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: EP System
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:10:59 AM »
We used to use the official RMFRP ExP rules for many years and I confirm that using them it often happened that the PCs advanced a complete level after one combat & maneuver-heavy session. Please note though, that the RMC core ExP system does grant much less ExP than the RMFRP system, at least when not using the RMC optional rules.

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the input Ecthelion. Conspicuously the PCs are supposed to level up much faster than what we're doing. I bought RMC-Pdf and I'll check out these optional rules

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
From our experience, a combat heavy session against enemies you havent fought before will certainly be enough to level up, or at least very close to it

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:57:14 AM »
I would also check out RMX XP system, IMHO is better than the one you find in RMC/RMFRP core books  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
I don't find that using the official system makes us level up too quickly, often even with combat intensive games we earn like a level every 3-4 sessions.  But that may be because we interpret the "first time" xp bonus differently...  we don't apply it to kills, only to skill rolls and spell lists (not spells) and it quickly becomes a non-factor after 4-5 levels.  Likewise, the players tend to want to avoid getting criticals so they don't lose out on the action, so that reduces our XP too.  We play RMSS/FRP btw.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:58:23 AM »
Indeed it was the "first time" xp multiplier for kills that got our PC the most xps during combat intensive sessions. We applied this multiplier to every new type of creature (human, orc, troll etc.). We also play RMSS/RMFRP.

Btw. we nowadays use a goal-based xp system which is inspired by the xp system from HARP or RMX. You can find it in the house rules on my homepage.

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »
To be honest I won't use the EP mechanics since it's time consuming but your answers clearly show me I should grant much more EPs. I usually go for a much simpler system: each scenario worthing a certain amount of EPs based on its overall difficulty and these are party EPs, each player receiving the same amount of experience. Regularly I gave 500 EPs per story and tricky scenarios would grant as much as 1200, now it seems I should multiply this base, maybe by 5 or something.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:58 AM »
Regularly I gave 500 EPs per story and tricky scenarios would grant as much as 1200, now it seems I should multiply this base, maybe by 5 or something.

500 XP for an entire adventure (if I've understood well how you give XPs) are really few.
I would suggest to start with 500 XP for really simple scenarios (involving no fighting and just a couple of simple tasks) and then scaling up to something like 10000XP for really important and hard ones (involving many difficult tasks, combat and investigation).
Obviously each group has it's own pace, but IMHO it would be a good idea to have characters gain a level every 3-5 sessions.

Offline Mkhaiwati

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
I ran across this recently, which is for a different system but easily adaptable to any game system. I haven't used it yet, but I am very intigued by it's ability to get the players to roleplay.

Sweet20

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:11:48 AM »
I think the link above is broken. The correct link should be http://www.lawfulneutral.com/sweet20/xp.html.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
Wow, that sweet20 XP system seems very cool.  I like the player interactivity of it.   Might have to give that a try!   Thanks for the link guys, looks like a gem!

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:00:27 AM »
or just have them raise a level whenever it suits you *grin* I do that.. mainly because I am too lazy to sit down and calculate xp :)
It works very well.
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:13:30 AM »
or just have them raise a level whenever it suits you *grin* I do that.. mainly because I am too lazy to sit down and calculate xp :)
It works very well.

eh eh I used to do it that way too  ;)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »
I am going to try the Sweet20 xp system in my next campaign.  I am using the RMSS rules and the Talislanta world.  With combat companion I was able to make all the fighting styles prevelant in the game and should really be able to bring out the roleplaying in my group. 

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
It works very well.

That's what I've been doing for years now too.    Although I do like the sweet20 system because it's so different, my players had a look and prefer the ol' go up a level when you tell me method.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »

Or you could use the HARP EP system ....  ;D

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
Actually I was quite interesting in knowing at which pace the characters were supposed to level up "officially" even if, generally, the answer is: "at any rate which suits your campaign"^^
I'm not a big fan of individual EPs because I prefer having my PCs advancing at the same rate.
Anyway, I see now that I should be more generous and allow a quicker leveling up.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
I ran across this recently, which is for a different system but easily adaptable to any game system. I haven't used it yet, but I am very intigued by it's ability to get the players to roleplay.

Sweet20

With some little adjustment I've decided to use it as a way to let PCs recover/gain Fate Points.