Author Topic: Rounds stay in wound or go through  (Read 3355 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rounds stay in wound or go through
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »
  After some TV today it struck me that often in movies, TV, books etc a round from a firearm sticks into the target as opposed to going threw the target. I cannot remember any rules in RM to simulate this, do you know of any?

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Rounds stay in wound or go through
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
Nothing really, not for bullets or arrows that I can think of. . .There was some stuff in the Arms Companion about aggrevating wounds, keeping a melee weapon stuck in someone.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »
LM,
 Thanks I will take a look when I get a chance.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
There is that Puncture Critical (I don't have it in front of me) where 'weapon is stuck in foe's chest', not sure if that one also includes falling back a significant distance and a 'suitable place to die'. Ah, critical tables are one of the real joys of playing Rolemaster.

More specifically, I don't recall any rules for dealing with projectiles stuck in enemies. Realistically, this is a situation that should be a pretty regular event.
:flame:

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:10 PM »
Page 73 of the arms companion has a table for "Odds of weapon lodged in wound" by crit type and severity.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:57 PM »
I know that the full blown skill systems knows Second Aid and Surgery (even minor and major).

Of course the healing process starts after the malevolent object was removed.

Poisons are injected into the body with achievement of a critical, so a higher puncture crit means the arrow sticks in the wound.

There is that Puncture Critical (I don't have it in front of me) where 'weapon is stuck in foe's chest', not sure if that one also includes falling back a significant distance and a 'suitable place to die'.

This critical text (E-Crit 96-99: "Shot through heart send foe reeling back 10' to a spor suitable for dying. Weapon is stuck in reeling foe") demonstrate the problems of impaling criticals and is a reminder: The weapon (sword, warhammer etc) might be stuck in the foe and therefore the attacker is disarmed.
__

To the modern firearms:
There were often troubles about ammunition. Today are bullets with man-stopping abilities prefered. Man stopping means that the bullets deform and be stuck in the body of the target. But that ammunition surely won't penetrate a bullet-proof vest.

But I don't know, I never fired a gun, but it is worth to think about ...
Thank for the idea.

(Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:32:49 AM »
This critical text (E-Crit 96-99: "Shot through heart send foe reeling back 10' to a spor suitable for dying. Weapon is stuck in reeling foe") demonstrate the problems of impaling criticals and is a reminder: The weapon (sword, warhammer etc) might be stuck in the foe and therefore the attacker is disarmed.

True, though I have found that disarm skill tends to be a better approach for disarming an attacker....I would prefer to be the one delivering that crit rather than receiving it any day of the week  :mullet:
:flame:

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:20:37 AM »
As a rule, I allways consider that arrows and bolts remain in the wound they caused, except when it is explicitely stated in the critical result that it did not. My players found that charging a foe with a bow from a long distance is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
As a rule, I allways consider that arrows and bolts remain in the wound they caused, except when it is explicitely stated in the critical result that it did not. My players found that charging a foe with a bow from a long distance is a bad, bad, bad idea.

I can agree with that statment. Also if you do not use fire through combat house rules then it can be very very bad for the chargers as people pop up to slow them down.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:55:47 AM »

Funnily enough , I use almost the exact opposite approach... ::)

Basically, because the hit location thing can be fairly vague and that the discriptions of the criticals should be taken as the maximum disadvantage for the player and no more.

Therefore a -10 injury to the chest probably isn't one where the arrow/bolt/round has pierced the target but rather bruised it... in this case it might be caught/snagged in clothing (in an arrow/bolt) or hit in a manner or area where the bullet didn't have the power remaining to penertrate (perhaps it riccochted (SP!) and hit or hit a conveniently placed piece of trivial equipment?)