Author Topic: Dark Sun Campaign  (Read 5451 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Dark Sun Campaign
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:28:35 AM »
OK, for fantasy settings Dark Sun is hands down my favorite. There is no contest. So, as usual, I have been playing around with a DS campaign and have not come to a conclusion as to what rules system I would like to use. I have mostly been thinking of using a modified version of the Earthdawn rules (i.e., no disciplines or talents, they would be professions/classes and skills), but also always keep looking to Rolemaster (RMC or RMSS/FRP - usually it is RMSS/FRP).

As I want it to be somewhat gritty but not too deadly so that the PCs (Players really) don't have to die for one mistake (like they tend to in Shadowrun and RM), what system do you guys think I should go with?

I guess, another thing to take into consideration is getting players. So far, there are no RM players here in Knoxville. Which is why I have been also throwing around a modified Iron Heroes rules system. (Yes I know it is a D20 rules system, but it is a bit different and with a couple of other modifications it can be playable....I hope.) A d20 game (even modified) would likely be able to get some players, while the others it is iffy at best.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dark Sun Campaign
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
 I think you might also be able to do HARP for that, but again it is RM'esk. I do not have Eartdawn so I cannot comment on it and it has been a long time since I read Dark Sun. But from waht I do remember you might want to pick up Shades of Darkness as IMO it has some great drak fantasy spell lists.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »

As I want it to be somewhat gritty but not too deadly so that the PCs (Players really) don't have to die for one mistake (like they tend to in Shadowrun and RM), what system do you guys think I should go with?

RM, of course  ;D
Fate Points might help and perhaps make all PC Creature Typ I or II - reduce the critical effect by one or two steps. (or just tone down the lethality of Crits A-D)

But if the players want an other system, you have to choose another one.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »

RMFRP with faith points option from Chanelling companion  ;)

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »
Was there not an RM conversion of Dark Sun knocking around the internerd as a pdf? I could be misremembering.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
Yes, there is. Unfortunately, it does not include anything useful regarding the monsters and creatures of Athas. No convertions and no rules how to convert. A shame, really!  >:(

By the way, I'm also a big fan of Dark Sun - unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to get some players and to continue a campaign. Shame!  :'(
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:30 AM »
naphata23, if I move to Germany I'll let you know. (That is not as big of an impossiblility as it sounds, I have been looking to get out of America for a while.)

With the new PA Afterworlds game with HARP rules, I will be really delving into the HARP mechanics, so maybe I will see about using those rules.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 02:46:14 AM »
RandalThor, you are welcome.  :)

Well, a bit off topic, but same goes for Wraith (WOD) - a great game, very morbid and atmospheric, but unfortunately rather difficult to master and to play. Plus, the players are either not suited for Wraith (it is quite impossible to suspend their disbelief) or the game could hurt their emotions. Sometimes quite harshly.  :-[

Back to topic How is the Bonus EP of a creature determined? This would be a big help to convert some creatures, for a start.

Offline lev_lafayette

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:16:52 AM »
Harnmaster.

After all, if you're starting in a setting where the PCs start so impoverished that they can't afford a metal sword, you may as well have a game system to match  ;)
RPG Review. Free 'zine. Worth reading.
My livejournal.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
Naphata23: I have gone away from exacting EP awards and would level up characters every so many sessions (which depended upon the game: for RM or DnD it would be after every 3rd session). That seemed to encourage Players showing up. For creatures I usually go with: What role do they play? How tough are they supposed to be? Are there any changes I want to make to them?

Lev_lafayette: How true! That game goes into so much realism in medieval life that it could be used as reference material for a college class.  :D I recently used Harn as a world of origin for a character - they were eventually transported to another world (Kulthea: Shadow World).

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
I suggest giving HARP a look... as well as Martial Law, or Harpers Bazaar 11.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 04:31:29 AM »
Time to revive an old thread!

I am currently delving into a conversion of Dark Sun into RM2/C and looking for suggestions on how to handle psychic powers. I have wondered if I should just let the players roll on the Wild Talent table in the Dark Sun books and then give them a similar spell to from Spell Law (I guess Space master is an option as well).
The general magics of the world will also be a problem as it is more a way of tradition than professional issues if you look at Essence at least. Mentalism could be used as a substitute for Psychic abilities, unless there is another and better way. As for Channeling this could seem like an oppotunity to use the new folio rules from EA#9 for clerics of the elements and templars.
I have peeked on the interweb to see if there was anything useful in this direction, but it seems it is rather slim pickings, so please give me a hand :D
Whatever I compile I will upload here at least
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 04:54:37 AM »
I just noted the GUild Companion has some information into character creation, but a few things are missing such as number of Background Options and which Hit Dice the races use ... Muls could use d12, Half-Giants d15 (half troll like) and the rest d10s. Is that too much?

http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2000/jan/dsrmconversion.html

Also for defilers they get 1.5pp totals at a cost in presence. is that fair enough
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
I originally designed the Channeling PP system for use with Dark Sun.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5176.msg68839#msg68839

Its presented here in its redesigned form. Lost the original document but the idea was that Defilers channelled PP much faster than Preservers due the defilers didn?t care that they drained the world. So defilers could count as being X levels higher than their actual level with regards to the speed of the channeling. Could also have a reduced channel limit of rank/2 instead of rank/4.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
I had an idea along those lines a few years back.  Not that it gets much traffic, but these were some system modifications I put up around 2000 or 2001, back when I was running an alternate version of RM, using a d20 mechanic rather than the d100. The basic concepts are there, though.

The section this is in is Inherent Magical Abilities, under the Aural Mastery section (what I called my expanded Channeling skill).

http://home.comcast.net/~gameskippy/

If I were doing this today, I'd use a static maneuver table for Tapping instead of a straight % success conversion, with an expanded success range to denote rates of PP acquisition/recovery.
Ex post facto.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:14:57 PM »
Well these are my thoughts so far. Which much of my convertion is based on the first edition of the campaign setting I am not going to dive into channeling, but keeping Defiling more or less as it is. The easy solution here was to multiply the spell level on the defiling area table by 5. Preservers spell are a class higher than the defilers, though instantaneous spells stay the same.

Mentalism goes out the window, while some lists are added to the realm of Essence or the Psionic lists. Psionics itself so far will be somewhat like it is done in SM2 (or SUC), though some old mentalism lists added to the mix (possibly even some essence spells). Other thought here would be simply going with Express#9 as with Essence and in a lesser degree Channeling. Wild talents will be roll on the table and then replace the Psionic effect with a spell (or psychic power from SM2) doing more or less the same.

I am planning to go almost full out the express #9 way, meaning all pure and hybrid using professions are put to the knife, leaving only one pure spell user for the realm of Essence  (and one for Mentalism/Psionics if not using SM psionics), who then have to think up a character concept and choose spell lists based on this idea. The old profession lists could be used as concept guidelines.
The GM should first go through all the lists and decide which exist and belongs where before letting the players loose. Also some character concepts are Defiler ONLY (here I am thinking the Necromancer from Comp II) and I am still debated wheither or not Essence should have access to Elemental magic as in Dark Sun it is more or less a Cleric thing.
With channeling it is somewhat easier if you stay true to DS lore, meaning there are three types of Pure Channelers; The clerics of the elements, the templars ("cleric" of the Sorcerer-kings) and Druids. These should have a base package but still leaving a little freedom for choosing the rest of the lists. Druids could be a druid/animist mix but I havent gotten that far.

My problem with this would be the Semi spell users. So far they stay the way they are but most should probably have their realm changed. If they turn into semi psionic users then they should keep their original base lists and then choose a field or two along the lines of SUC or SM2.

All characters will have two PP ratings, one for magic (Chan/Ess) and one for Psionic powers. These will be calculated as the base PP option in Spell Law Classic, with a small change here and there.

What do you think? I have it written up as an initual draft, but havent completed it yet. But does it seem doable and managable?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 08:35:34 AM »
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item670

Well here it is, my conversion of the Campaign setting. The writting style is bad and some of it a bit far fetch maybe. Though i hope you guys will give me some feedback on how to improve it
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
Though i hope you guys will give me some feedback on how to improve it

By providing a version for RMSS/FRP!  :D

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
Though i hope you guys will give me some feedback on how to improve it

By providing a version for RMSS/FRP!  :D

Seconded.  ;D

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »
Harp or HERO.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.