Author Topic: Eog  (Read 913 times)

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Eog
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:17:51 AM »
Does anyone know of a good picture of Eog?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Eog
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 12:46:19 PM »
Well, it should look a lot like glass, shouldn't it? Maybe tainted and thus colored with various different minerals? Like Selenite or Calcite?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 01:03:22 PM »
I think Thot is confusing eog with laen. Eog is a metal that has been variously, though rather generally, described over the years. In RMU is simply a gray metal. RM2 Alchemy Companion suggests that there are multiple shades of eog, treating it as a range of alloys. RMSS Treasure Companion calls it a gray metal. I don't know of any significantly more elaborated description and would say that any metal without an unusual coloration would do for eog. What do you want a picture for?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 12:24:34 AM »
Eog is a Shadow World metal that comes in three varieties. The White and Black versions nullify magic (Unlife and Essence respectively) but its not clear how or if they are different visually. I would personally just expect lighter and darker shades of grey rather than actual white and black metals.

The far more common (for a rare magical metal) grey eog is described as having a dull silvery luster and being extremely hard but also brittle in its pure form. Eog alloys are used to create weapons and armor so it's likely that there will be some variation depending on the exact alloy being used for any particular item.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 12:40:25 AM »
I think Thot is confusing eog with laen. [...]

Uh... yes.  :D

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 03:28:29 AM »
Quote from Shadow World MA 3rd Edition :
Eog-Black (5000 sp): Can inhibit or even nullify all non-Dark Essence in the same way White Eog inhibits Evil Essence. For general properties see Grey Eog, below.
Eog-Grey or ‘common’ (2000 sp): An extremely hard metal, it is brittle in its pure form, but when combined with certain other elements the resulting alloy can be used to make superior weapons and armor. It is enchanted, and ‘common’ Eog has a dull silvery luster. An addition, certain pure types of Eog have the power to locally inhibit the Flows of Essence (see black and white types).
Eog-White (5000 sp): Can limit the powers of Dark Essence (e.g., Essence originating from the Unlife or dark gods or their minions). Eog’s inhibiting power varies with the amount and proximity, but a small chamber lined with White Eog panels 1˝ thick would prevent all but the most powerful Evil magicians from casting a spell. Note that, while a Magician inside this chamber would have trouble casting spells, his Power Points are not actually drained.

Indicative prices are in sp per ounce of material. Interestingly, density is not provided, so there is no way to compute volume from mass or vice versa. Good luck finding the price of those 1" thick panels :p

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 08:50:05 AM »
I think Thot is confusing eog with laen. Eog is a metal that has been variously, though rather generally, described over the years. In RMU is simply a gray metal. RM2 Alchemy Companion suggests that there are multiple shades of eog, treating it as a range of alloys. RMSS Treasure Companion calls it a gray metal. I don't know of any significantly more elaborated description and would say that any metal without an unusual coloration would do for eog. What do you want a picture for?

For my Eberron Wiki.  Eog replaces Adamantine.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 09:07:39 AM »
Eog turns up in 1st ed MERP, with the options of Black, White, Gray, Red and Blue, and that it has an influnce on Essense magic (colour dependant). It is listed as a mixture of mithril, durang and some unknown sectre elf addition. It's noted as not having any lustre, but is super hard.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 07:12:06 AM »
Eog and Laen are also in Elemental Companion but the color reference is only the the "gem" the represents the metal. (Sapphire)  The forging flame is invisible.  There are other details for the forging and creating process too that may help flesh out your Eog descriptions.  Laen and Eog are made of the same elemental materials (cold and earth).  Laen cancels magic spells cast at the wielder, Eog reflects spells back at the caster.  This seems to be right in line with the details provided above as being "anti-magic" material.

I wasn't able to find any more detail on color so I assume I read the color descriptions from MERP many moons ago.  I recall it being such a dark brown that it looked nearly black and looking somewhat like glass and an extremely hard material as well as it is naturally anti-magic, forging it in magical forges was extremely difficult.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 05:32:52 PM »
There is a picture in the Shadow World Players Guide BTW.