Author Topic: Chaos Soldiers and Death Knights  (Read 768 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Chaos Soldiers and Death Knights
« on: September 30, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
I have a question about Chaos Soldiers in Creatures and Monsters.  Since RMU's bestiary isn't out yet, I wanted to ask here.  Are chaos soldiers similar to death knights?

I've been thinking on making a conversion of the death knight from D&D to RM. It looks like I don't have to since chaos soldiers can fulfill the same role.  I wanted a lawful good death knight for my Eberron campaign (if we were playing in Karrnath).  Thoughts?

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Chaos Soldiers and Death Knights
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 01:38:30 AM »
Previous editions' Creatures&Treasures and similar publications had undead of the same general type as Death Knights (in my German translation of C&T for RMFRP, they are called "Dark Herolds"), Ringwraiths, etc. I believe that works better than using Chaos Soldiers.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 06:20:41 AM »
I wonder if they are the Chaos Warriors and Commanders listed in ComI p. 75 under undead.

The pledged their allegiance to some dark power then sacrificed themselves l, and if chosen by those dark powers rose stronger and more resilient than normal men.

As they do not have a Type despite being listed as undead they are probably not affected by Repulsion etc.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
Previous editions' Creatures&Treasures and similar publications had undead of the same general type as Death Knights (in my German translation of C&T for RMFRP, they are called "Dark Herolds"), Ringwraiths, etc. I believe that works better than using Chaos Soldiers.

I think that Shadow World might have something called Dark Heralds or Heralds of the Night riding black unicorns, unless I’m mistaken.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 04:31:45 PM »
I wonder if they are the Chaos Warriors and Commanders listed in ComI p. 75 under undead.

The pledged their allegiance to some dark power then sacrificed themselves l, and if chosen by those dark powers rose stronger and more resilient than normal men.

As they do not have a Type despite being listed as undead they are probably not affected by Repulsion etc.

Yeah, they were added to Creatures and Monsters. What I was wondering is if they were Rolemaster's version of the Death Knight. 

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 05:20:11 AM »
I think they are resurrected and infused with power rather than animated.
I would use them as being alive.

That being said, I’m sure you can use them any way you like, especially since I’m not sure what form of Death Knight you are looking for. Dragonlance, Warcraft or some other form?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 12:09:02 PM »
That being said, I’m sure you can use them any way you like, especially since I’m not sure what form of Death Knight you are looking for. Dragonlance, Warcraft or some other form?

The AD&D 2nd Edition version, from the Monstrous Manual.  Page 52.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 05:27:01 PM »
If I remember correctly those are originally from Dragonlance.

But nothing is stopping you from using the Chaos Warriors as the framework for the Death Knights. Give them access to a few lists that would be suitable and change the write up.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 06:09:10 PM »
If I remember correctly those are originally from Dragonlance.

But nothing is stopping you from using the Chaos Warriors as the framework for the Death Knights. Give them access to a few lists that would be suitable and change the write up.

Yeah. I understand. :)

A friend of mine says I can do the same thing.