Author Topic: Pictures of Races from RMU Core  (Read 840 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Pictures of Races from RMU Core
« on: June 14, 2023, 06:37:23 AM »
I told Midjourney to paint a Sea-kral and an Avinarc. See the attachment for a result.

Quite better than what is given in the RMU Core book... sorry.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Pictures of Races from RMU Core
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 07:13:16 AM »
Here is how I understand (and Midjourney draws) an Idiyva:

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 07:31:26 AM »
As nice as AI generated art can be, it is still making use of other artists works and styles without their knowledge and consent, which makes it a no-no.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 07:50:55 AM »
Regardless of how you judge the technology, the Sea-Krals as depicted in the books won't find players, the Sea-Krals shown above probably will.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 08:51:21 AM »
Just remember that files can take a while to be approved, so we might not be able to see it very quickly. If you wanted to post it on Discord...
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 09:59:57 AM »
Regardless of how you judge the technology, the Sea-Krals as depicted in the books won't find players, the Sea-Krals shown above probably will.

Doesn't make the AI generated images any more valid for that reason.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »
Use whatever works for your players. I don't think we want to be using AI art in publications though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline DerGraumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 01:45:59 PM »
Did the same for the Aviarcs, haha.
Yes the illustrations of the races in Core Law are unacceptable. One could argue that those are the most important illustrations in any Character Law/Core Rules book. VSDarkmaster comes to mind with its great race illustrations. That makes a huge difference.
I think for smal press outfits that don't have expertise in art (like ICE) Midjourney is the way to go.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 02:27:05 PM »
Yes the illustrations of the races in Core Law are unacceptable. One could argue that those are the most important illustrations in any Character Law/Core Rules book. VSDarkmaster comes to mind with its great race illustrations. That makes a huge difference.
I think for smal press outfits that don't have expertise in art (like ICE) Midjourney is the way to go.

Take a look around you and see the stances game developers are taking against AI generated images, you clearly haven't paid much attention.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 11:19:42 PM »
Yes the illustrations of the races in Core Law are unacceptable. One could argue that those are the most important illustrations in any Character Law/Core Rules book. VSDarkmaster comes to mind with its great race illustrations. That makes a huge difference. [...]

I believe that is the main point here. ICE needs to do better. If the creature book uses as goofy illustrations as that of the Sea-Krals in the core book, it's basically throwing away money.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 11:21:34 PM »
[...]
Take a look around you and see the stances game developers are taking against AI generated images, you clearly haven't paid much attention.

Current stances are not indicative of future adoptions of the new technology. I'd expect RPG artists to use AI as their tool quite soon.

But personally, I have no preference as to HOW we get better images. Just THAT we get better ones.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 11:23:18 PM »
Just remember that files can take a while to be approved, so we might not be able to see it very quickly. If you wanted to post it on Discord...

Good point! Will do.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 05:27:10 AM »
[...]

Current stances are not indicative of future adoptions of the new technology. I'd expect RPG artists to use AI as their tool quite soon.

But personally, I have no preference as to HOW we get better images. Just THAT we get better ones.

Rpg artists (the serious ones) and game dev companies (the serious ones) have already alienated the use of AI generated imagery, so you'll have to wait a bit for that to happen. I can already tell from the way you word yourself that you don't comprehend the matter and consequences of that which you glorify here.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 07:25:32 AM »
[...]

Rpg artists (the serious ones) and game dev companies (the serious ones) have already alienated the use of AI generated imagery, so you'll have to wait a bit for that to happen. I can already tell from the way you word yourself that you don't comprehend the matter and consequences of that which you glorify here.

Whatever you wish to conclude about me, I am not the subject here. My point is that the currently used images especially of these three races are just not good enough, and I give examples how they could look better.

It is not my intention to lecture anyone on the way Large Language Models work, what the implications of that technology are for RPG books, how one should judge the procurement of training data, or any other subjects that have no relation to ICE's books (especially the RMU line). Let us keep that discussion out of here.