Author Topic: Spell casting NPC prep  (Read 751 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell casting NPC prep
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »
As a GM, when you're using an NPC spell caster, do you do anything special to prep for the game/encounters?
For example, I tend to make two lists: "If I can buff" and "If I'm surprised." Each is a starting point for what the caster will do in those two situations. I find it saves me a great deal of effort during play, even if I go totally different directions. Putting the lists together also helps me absorb that particular character's spell library.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell casting NPC prep
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »
I haven't.  Although I haven't been running Rolemaster.  Yet.  Maybe I should prep, lol!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 05:01:18 PM »
I usually just skim the NPC's spell lists to find a few good/appropriate spells, since it is time consuming; for Big Bad guys, I might write down a few sequences.

One of the interesting things 4e DnD did was give each NPC/monster a set of specific, often unique powers that could be wholly contained in the stat block. That really cut down on the prep and had an additional.cool.factor (since the PCs never knew exactly what the effect would be, unlike with normal spells).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 05:33:46 PM »
I usually just skim the NPC's spell lists to find a few good/appropriate spells, since it is time consuming; for Big Bad guys, I might write down a few sequences.

One of the interesting things 4e DnD did was give each NPC/monster a set of specific, often unique powers that could be wholly contained in the stat block. That really cut down on the prep and had an additional.cool.factor (since the PCs never knew exactly what the effect would be, unlike with normal spells).

I guess 4th Edition was good for something. 

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
I haven't.  Although I haven't been running Rolemaster.  Yet.  Maybe I should prep, lol!
With a caster below 6th-8th level, I can usually wing it. If the caster is higher level, the options expand significantly. Right now I'm prepping a scenario with four priests over 10th level, from three different religions, and 3 "paladins" of the three religions. That's what got me really thinking about how the prep I've done in the past will really help here.
I highly recommend doing it - it also makes playing them feel more like having your own character, instead of a generic NPC.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 08:56:20 PM »
Major NPCs have full character sheets but I know them perfectly well enough to know exactly what they can do and which spells they have whereas minor NPCs don't have full character sheets anyway, so I just improvise according to their profession and level.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 09:54:20 PM »
I make a list of their spell lists with the key spells listed -- things they are likely to use during the encounter, including the key stats (range, radius, etc). That saves a lot of time during the encounter, especially because I tend to have combats with too many NPC foes.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 11:49:42 PM »
Yup, I would shortlist the same way and divide spells into Prep2/Prep1/0 or Instant*.
I’d then post 5 rounds worth of possible combos.

I like the idea of “BBEG has time” vs “not”, too.

Us GMs never play spellusers properly, it seems, but that is true in other system, also.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 04:39:11 PM »
I try to make a spell user at least level 7 so he can cast a level 1 spell each round to keep pace with the PCs.  I like to add a bodyguard/assistant of some sort to help in battle.  I look over the lists available, add 1 or 2 the mage would have learned that are appropriate to the scenario, then I get the details for the few spells he would most likely cast in the scene.  I don't need all 50 spells from the 5 lists he knows if the party is only going to be interacting with him for a fight scene or a negotiation scene.  Bare minimum info to streamline my GM housekeeping.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »
Us GMs never play spellusers properly, it seems, but that is true in other system, also.
Talk for yourself, please. I personally consider my (major, named) NPCs to be my characters and can assert I play my spell users way better than any of my players ever did or do, if only because I know all the RM2 spells and skills way better than any of them knew or knows his own character's spells and skills.
And I doubt I'm the only one... I mean, some of us are GMing RM2 for close to or over twoscore years so I think these GMs know well what a character of a given profession and level can do with his spells, with a mere listing of said spell lists.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.