Author Topic: RM2 with RMU elements, any experiences?  (Read 208 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
RM2 with RMU elements, any experiences?
« on: February 26, 2024, 06:28:34 AM »
I was wondering whether anyone has either used some RMU rules in their RMC/2 game or the other way around?

I’m planning a new campaign (see Lands of Old) and am a bit on the fence about which system to use.
I love all the professions and spell lists of RM2 and am dragging my feet not to lose them.
However. having read the RMU rules there are any parts I like. I like the new RR rolls and spell casting rolls. Some of the combat elements are interesting too.

I’m thinking to use RM2 professions and costs, but RMU stat bonuses and skill resolution. Stick with rm2 Arms and Spell Law for list and tables, but use RMu spell resolution, casting roll and RR.

Any experiences or ideas are welcome.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: RM2 with RMU elements, any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:36:25 AM »
I haven't split things the way you describe, but I have adapted lots of RM2 spell lists. You can re-create any of the RM2 professions in RMU since there are rules for creating professions.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: RM2 with RMU elements, any experiences?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 10:35:35 AM »
I have a LOT of crossover between RM1/RM2 and RMSS (tiny bit of RMFRP) and I'd have liked to be able to use more RMU with them, but some of the changes have made that pretty difficult.

For example, I love that Spell Law filled in a lot of blanks, etc, but some of the changes to certain spells have made using those lists more trouble that they're worth (like Haste) and I haven't dug through it in enough detail to see what I may pull out of it.

Once more book are put out and I can get eyes on them I'm hoping elements of RMU prove useful.  If not, no big deal, I've been writing my own stuff since the 90's anyhow.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss