Author Topic: Slaying Weapon......  (Read 432 times)

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Slaying Weapon......
« on: January 19, 2024, 01:48:56 PM »
In our last game and unusual question came up.

Say a PC has an elf slaying weapon. At some point an elf was killed, and then a necromancer raised it as an undead.

Would the elf slaying weapon still be effective as slaying?

My initial thought is that it would not, the creature is now an undead and no longer an elf.

What do you think?

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
Re: Slaying Weapon......
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 03:13:45 PM »
Generally undead don't get traits of the thing they were originally; so i would say a Sword of Elf Slaying would not work against a generic undead.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 04:03:02 PM »
Correct.  The sword would have to be "of Undead Slaying" to get slaying crits at that point.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 08:39:39 PM »
I own idea of 'undead' is that there is a difference between intelligent and created undead.

'Unlife' is intelligent and truly evil. They never really died, but they extended their life into... unlife. And they pretty much want to kill anything living and absorb them into their little army or whatever.  In this case I'd say the elf slaying weapon would still work on a elven lich or vampire or something along those lines.

'Undead' are created by the Unlife and are, essentially, unintelligent.  It's what a Lich or Necromancer would create and give a general imbued behavior pattern or controlled by their creator.  They aren't actually evil in and of themselves, but they were created by evil and so generally considered such by default.

Spirits are different than the above (ghosts for example) and are, typically, the same level of good or evil they were when living.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 08:47:36 PM »
Cory, i like that distinction. I can definitely work with that.