Forum > ICE News and Discussion

MERP Encounte table/rules doesn't make sense!(?)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ecthellion:

--- Quote from: RandalThor on December 04, 2020, 07:12:05 PM ---Yeah, it looks like they just inverted the numbers. Though, I guess you could just have it a single roll on the Activity side, that way the modifiers could line up.

--- End quote ---

That's not a bad idea if you wan't to tweak the rule a bit, actually. One roll, modified by all stuff relevant, then the number is cross-indexed by population density, and..ta-da!

Ecthellion:

--- Quote from: Aspire2Hope on December 05, 2020, 08:09:25 AM ---Yup in 2ed the stuffed up the table. In 1ed it is reversed to +50 etc.

--- End quote ---
Ok, great, then it makes more sense. Except for this: Under "General" in the same table (avoidance roll), it says you get a - 30 modification "if actively searching for something" - That seems to be correct! If the group is searching for something (or someone), the risk for encounter increases. So that's in order, right? But underneath, it is mixed up again (?), where it says the group get a +20 "if in camp and traveled for 12 hours" and +40 mod "if in camp and traveled for 16 hours", so these two should be changed to a minus, yes? If you agree that its stealthier to travel for a shorter period and take more time to find a good camp site. SO please correct me if I'm wrong here!

One final thing. Under the modifications to the activity roll, under general, it says "-10....Perception".
Ok, who's perception exactly? I do not understand. And again, thanks for your help! You're awesome.

variable...spell used by the group". Or is that supposed to be two differ

Aspire2Hope:
I've always gone with what makes sense. In those early days and, dare I say it, still, the level of editing and proofing was not great. I don't think any of the publishers really have professional-level editors on staff. I mean quite frankly given the margins and recovery you would have to do it as a day job and then love gaming enough to do it for free in the evening. :)

assur:
I think the bonus is inverted. It don't make sense in any othe way.

RandalThor:

--- Quote from: Ecthellion on December 05, 2020, 01:45:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: RandalThor on December 04, 2020, 07:12:05 PM ---Yeah, it looks like they just inverted the numbers. Though, I guess you could just have it a single roll on the Activity side, that way the modifiers could line up.

--- End quote ---

That's not a bad idea if you wan't to tweak the rule a bit, actually. One roll, modified by all stuff relevant, then the number is cross-indexed by population density, and..ta-da!

--- End quote ---
I like to see where to limit the number of rolls whenever possible (that doesn't mess up play, of course), it helps speed things up. It's one of the reasons why I don't favor games based on opposed rolls even though some of them are really fun (Shadowrun, I am looking at you!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version