Forum > Spacemaster

Merging Spacemaster with the Traveller universe

(1/5) > >>

Robin Chang:
I was wondering if anyone has considered blending Spacemaster's detailed character, combat, and technology systems with the classic Traveller universe (Third Imperium). I like both systems but it seems players tend to gravitate to one or another. The realism of Spacemaster is a strong plus. But the Traveller world has access to it a wealth of supplements and adventures...

Peter R:
It rather depends on which way you want to go.

Converting Traveller adventures to Space Master is pretty easy, as is converting characters.

Going from Space Master to Traveller is much harder because you lose a lot of granularity and making SM and RM attack tables work on 2d6 is much more difficult.

At the moment I am regularly converting between Traveller and Rolemaster which is even more extreme going not only between systems but from hard science fiction to high magic fantasy.

Robin Chang:

--- Quote from: Peter R on October 29, 2019, 08:24:39 AM ---It rather depends on which way you want to go.

Converting Traveller adventures to Space Master is pretty easy, as is converting characters.

Going from Space Master to Traveller is much harder because you lose a lot of granularity and making SM and RM attack tables work on 2d6 is much more difficult.

At the moment I am regularly converting between Traveller and Rolemaster which is even more extreme going not only between systems but from hard science fiction to high magic fantasy.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Peter. What you say makes sense and is very useful. It does seem Spacemaster would have to be the base with Traveller elements incorporated into it. Will report back as I work on this...

Hansuke:
I compared the Traveller Tech Levels (TTL) to the Spacemaster Privateers Tech Levels (SMPTL) and came up with a conversion chart. The similarities between the two game systems breaks down around TTL9/SMPTL17.

Traveller Tech LevelSpace Master Privateers Tech Level00-112-526-10311412513614715816917101811191219132014211522162317241824192520262130

RandalThor:
I would LOVE to see a Traveller style character generation system for Spacemaster. That would be a hoot!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version