Author Topic: DB and multiple attackers  (Read 995 times)

Offline NicodemusRa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
DB and multiple attackers
« on: April 30, 2023, 09:48:50 PM »
playing RMFRP, curious about DB (base, not being modified via parrying)

Is it "always on" against all attacks, or is it spent on an attack  by attack basis (meaning if I get attacked by two enemies at once, I'd need to specify how much DB goes where?

Finally, do I need to be aware of my attacker to apply my DB? Or is this already accounted for in the attackers flank, rear attack OB bonuses?

Thanks!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: DB and multiple attackers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 10:20:42 PM »
Base DB doesn't need to be split amongst attackers. Bonuses such as the bonus you get from enchanted armor, a Blur spell, etc. are just 'always on'.

I'm not versed enough in RMSS to definitively answer your last question for RMSS, but in RM2, you needed to be aware that you are in a combat situation and able to move to get your quickness DB (though if you ddid get it, you didn't have to split it). RMU is similar: "As long as a combatant is able to move it always get its DB from Quickness, unless caught flatfooted."
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline NicodemusRa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 12:03:05 AM »
Thank you for the clarity!

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 04:35:53 PM »
RMSS is not very clear on this but in general Item and special bonuses to DB always apply, 3xQu applies "if he is aware
that he is in a combat situation and is free to move", and table T3.5 notes for a "static target": "Applies to prone and/or surprised targets with
no cover. Target gets no Qu bonus to his DB"
This is not covered by the position and status minuses.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson