Author Topic: Custom 66 Results  (Read 2382 times)

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Custom 66 Results
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »
I assume many people use the RMSS (or SoHK) category specific skill result charts, and was wondering if anyone has created their own custom "66" results.  The ones on the charts I believe are just meant to be examples of what could happen, and I'd like to add some new ones to my program.  If anyone has any and wouldn't mind sharing, or can point me in the direction of another resource, I would appreciate it very much.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Custom 66 Results
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »
In actuality, I use the crit descriptions as

...examples of what could happen...

and alter them as appropriate "on-the-fly."

Example: If a critical says it is an arm hit, but the attacker is basically on hands and knees and swings wildly at the other, I alter the crit to hit the lower leg instead of the arm.

However, I do know of what you are asking, and I'd say, "If you do write up some custom crit descriptions, publish them at TGC for others to use."

I'd also suggest to search the TGC archives and see if anyone has published such in the past.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
 I do not use the tables for Skill Categories so I cannot be of much help. Also your questions is the first one of its type that I remember so I cannot point you in a direction either.

What you might do is make a list of the Skill Categories with a summery of the 66 result for the skill rolls. Then during the week if you get an idea or thought about one write it down. You can also ask your players to help out if they are so inclined. If all of the Categories are too much then do one or two a week and  leave out those that do not matter as much ... or at all (such as armor).

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
What you might do is make a list of the Skill Categories with a summery of the 66 result for the skill rolls. Then during the week if you get an idea or thought about one write it down. You can also ask your players to help out if they are so inclined. If all of the Categories are too much then do one or two a week and  leave out those that do not matter as much ... or at all (such as armor).

Do the same with fumbles.  :Joker2:
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
A 66 result is ideally made up on the spot. Also, this should have been placed in the RMSS/FRP section, as the UM66 and UM100 special static maneuver results were a RMSS addition.

Since an unusual result can and should make use of the situation in which it is rolled, I would not prepare them in advance. On a herding roll, a giant eagle could swoop down and carry off one of your sheep, or a sheep could fall into a sinkhole, leading to the discovery of a long-buried ruined city, or one of your animals could eat that herb you had on your belt, or they could terrify the child of a VIP who is playing nearby.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »
A 66 result is ideally made up on the spot. Also, this should have been placed in the RMSS/FRP section, as the UM66 and UM100 special static maneuver results were a RMSS addition.

Since an unusual result can and should make use of the situation in which it is rolled, I would not prepare them in advance. On a herding roll, a giant eagle could swoop down and carry off one of your sheep, or a sheep could fall into a sinkhole, leading to the discovery of a long-buried ruined city, or one of your animals could eat that herb you had on your belt, or they could terrify the child of a VIP who is playing nearby.

This is my approach.  It is a very neat mechanic, 100% useful.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »
The reason Jaanka is asking is to help him with the creation of his ongoing GM assistance tool. So the purpose would be for a GM who did not wish to create onecould use the program. As was said above divvie up the various areas between us and we can create some appropriate ones.

Similar to what happened to you the other night with the failed contacting skill  ;D

PS if you have not tried Jarank's program it is a great help to GMs. Ask him to help test. And if you have tried it and haven't given him feedback shame on you. He is burning a lot of time to create something incredible for our small community and needs some reasoned support.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Once players have heard the 66's of a given static maneuver table enough times, it get's old..

When a PC rolls 66 I first roll a D10 to determine whether it's good or bad. High numbers yield good results, this higher the better and vice versa. Then just make something up.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
Once players have heard the 66's of a given static maneuver table enough times, it get's old..

When a PC rolls 66 I first roll a D10 to determine whether it's good or bad. High numbers yield good results, this higher the better and vice versa. Then just make something up.

I choose a skill resolution table at random and adapt the 66 result to the situation.  I've never bothered determining the ratio of good to bad.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
On-the-fly is the most fun, imo.  We had a trap set once which was attached to supports in a tunnel cave.  Instead of doing what it was supposed to do, it broke the supports.  The resulting cave-in was fun.

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Thank you mistrornge, though I don't wish shame on anyone.

I like the idea of creating your own 66 events based on the situation, and ideally that'd be best.  I also think that there are a great number that could apply to any situation and think it would be pretty cool to have them as a resource in case you're feeling low on creative energy near the end of the RP session, or just need a quick answer, or just don't want to make one up for whatever reason.

I do spend a lot of time on the program so I was hoping to grab some ideas from you guys.  I'll think of some cool ones myself at some point and get them in there.  I do think that the ones in the book tend to be bad for the characters, and like the idea of randomizing the severity of the result on both ends of the good bad spectrum.  I'm gonna try to work that in there too.