Author Topic: Elemental Area Attack resolution  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Dirich

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elemental Area Attack resolution
« on: May 29, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »
I have a few doubts and I'd like clarification on the correct way to handle elemental area attacks.

• "Elemental attacks are resolved as melee attacks" - this seems to indicate that any source of DB valid for melee attacks is also valid for elemental attacks, correct? It didn't use to be the case in Rolemaster, hence why I seek confirmation
  • There is no paragraph I can find about "area attacks" and the "ball" spells just say that you do a single "critical roll" against everybody in the area. What I think it's trying to say is that the caster does a single attack roll, then resolves individually against everybody in the area (using their individual DBs). Am I guessing correctly?

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elemental Area Attack resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 02:14:28 PM »
this is how i play it on my table.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elemental Area Attack resolution
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 11:45:33 PM »
Note that the text does not say that they are *resolved* as melee attacks - just that they are *handled* just like melee attacks.

For instance, I would not allow the Parry manoeuver (nor Full Parry or Multiple Parry) to be effective against elemental attacks, as it is specifically listed as applying against Melee attacks. I would allow Dodge, since it is specified as being effective against "one attack".