Author Topic: Lorgalis and the Unlife  (Read 4055 times)

Offline arnecooper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lorgalis and the Unlife
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
Something else I'm a little confused about. Is Lorgalis a servant of the Unlife or not? In "Jaiman: Land of Twilight" he is said to be the most powerful servant of the Unlife on Kulthea, but in the timeline he is a member of the Jerak Ahrenreth and seems to be at odds with the Priests Arnak. It even says that he does not understand the goal of the Unlife priests. He seems to have his own agenda that has nothing to do with the Unlife. Can anybody help me understand this?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Lorgalis and the Unlife
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:35 AM »
I actually think that describes him pretty well. He does "serve" the Unlife, and is possibly its most powerful servant, but he isn't doing it out of any great belief in the teachings of the Unlife, but to further his own ends and achieve his own goals. As such, he is willing to ally - at least temporarily - with anyone or anything that helps him with this. He has, at times, aided at least some of the Orders Arnak, but they are true believers and he is not, so his goals and theirs will sometimes be at odds.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
You can read it like "the most powerful mercenary of the Unlife on Kulthea"  ;D

Of course Lorgalis it's individually more powerful than the Arnak Priests and he thinks they should serve him, but they have their own plans. Oran Jatar has found the same problem.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
The Unlife are not a single monolithic block with no internal disputes.  Both Lorgalis and the Priests Arnak serve the Unlife, but an Archmage and a Priest take very different approaches to their service; and politically they will disagree about which of them should be calling the shots.

Happens in real life all the time.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:45:28 AM »
I do not tink Lorgalis is a worshipper of the Unlife

Quote from: from Powers of Light... pag 48
In the Second Era 6450, he reluctantly joined forces with factions serving the Unlife in the Wars of Dominion. This was his undoing. As one of the Captains of
the Dark Armies in the final battle, Lorgalis found himself unable to maneuver to a position where he might engage Andraax in combat. Instead, to his dismay, he encountered none other than Jaysek, the Lord of Orhan. Even a K’ta’viir prince such as Lorgalis could not hope
to stand against a Lord of Orhan. Mortally wounded, he fled the battlefield and escaped the cleansing aftermath that closed the Second Era of Ire.

I think Lorgalis just wants to kill Andraax and rule Jaiman, probably his moral code is quite far from the Lawful good archetype but he seems more egotistic than true evil. So he uses the power of the Unlife without being a fanatic like some Arnak probably are.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »

In the Second Era 6450, he reluctantly joined forces with factions serving the Unlife in the Wars of Dominion. This was his undoing. As one of the Captains of
the Dark Armies in the final battle, Lorgalis found himself unable to maneuver to a position where he might engage Andraax in combat. Instead, to his dismay, he encountered none other than Jaysek, the Lord of Orhan. Even a K’ta’viir prince such as Lorgalis could not hope
to stand against a Lord of Orhan. Mortally wounded, he fled the battlefield and escaped the cleansing aftermath that closed the Second Era of Ire.

I think Lorgalis just wants to kill Andraax and rule Jaiman, probably his moral code is quite far from the Lawful good archetype but he seems more egotistic than true evil. So he uses the power of the Unlife without being a fanatic like some Arnak probably are.

or we just wants to destoy Jaiman and see Andraax suffering

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »

But, as I understand, it, once you are connected with the Unlife, you can never get away. Ultimately, as it's name suggests, it is bound to destroy ALL life - including that of it's servants. It is not like the Dark Side in Star Wars; a power to tap an use, but aligned to evil, that one can deny if one is strong enough. Once it has it's claws in you, you are done. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or even next millenia, but eventually you will be consumed and destroyed utterly by the Unlife. At least, that is how I read it to be.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
This is from the Atlas, the Dragonlords entry.
Dragonlords
Most independent of the ‘evil’ powers, each Dragonlord pursues his or her own goals. While the lords may draw power from Chaos (and so, albeit indirectly, the Unlife) they are not its servants.

Also according to the Atlas, the Unlife is road where you cannot turn back, but nobody says you have to walk fast. Maybe one of the reasons for Lorgalis to be quiet for long terms is to clean himself so he can keep his free will.