Author Topic: Treasure Companion - Tallying the bonuses  (Read 6191 times)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Treasure Companion - Tallying the bonuses
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Using this method you will notice an odd "Flip-hop" in final bonus to sub zero materials from skilled crafters/enchanters, due to the fact the bonuses are ordered in the 1/.5/.25/.125 etc progression by their scale value, not absolute value. . .i.e. +20, -15, +10, -5 would go in that order. . .

If the results are insane and flip-hops happen it is often good to check the assumptions...the idea that you can reduce the impact of penalties by having a larger bonus involved is broken on so many levels that it baffles may that anyone would suggest it.

An inferior material is inferior and if you want to offset the penalty you by logic should need more bonus and not positive and negative bonuses of the right size. What is really the argument for that the relative size of penalties should have any game impact at all?

Sorloc's method is a great thing, provided that the method is only applied to positive bonuses. The rule is intended to prevent the stacking of bonuses and not to reduce the impact of penalties. With your example above the proper addition sequence IMHO is -15*1 -5*1 + 20*1 +10*0.5 = +5 bonus. If you do it like that then the results fits together totally and there is flip-hops happening.
/Pa Staav

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »
Sorloc's method is a great thing, provided that the method is only applied to positive bonuses.

Sorloc's method, isn't actually "Sorloc's".  ;D I recall seeing it in one of the RM2 books somewhere, but cannot remember which book (which is driving me nuts). It was given as an option for handling multiple bonuses, I do remember that much.

The rule is intended to prevent the stacking of bonuses and not to reduce the impact of penalties.

Correct. That option presumes a starting bonus of zero. Items of inferior quality or inferior materials should change that starting point accordingly, BEFORE any bonuses are applied.

With your example above the proper addition sequence IMHO is -15*1 -5*1 + 20*1 +10*0.5 = +5 bonus. If you do it like that then the results fits together totally

I would have phrased it different (i.e. the bonuses are applied to a starting modifier of -20, not to a starting modifier of 0), but I essentially agree fully with what you are saying.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
This relates back to the problem that a lump of laen in the rough shape of a dagger, vs a high quality dagger made of laen, both have the same bonus, since a -10 or +10 quality of manufacture just vanishes in favor of the laen's intrinsic material bonus.

Not necessarily.  While the manufacture bonus disappears you could still end up with a skill penalty due to issues not-relating to craftsmanship.  For example the lump could be oddly shaped/balanced resulting in a -10 to use.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »
MB, That'd still be a house rule. . .essentially, as is, quality only matters if it exceeds material, the moment a lump of Laen is sufficiently dagger like for the GM to move it onto the dagger table, it's at it's laen materials bonus, until the craftsmanship bonus exceeds the laen material bonus . . .and a +10 quality bronze dagger is just as good as a +10 quality iron dagger, unless material quality bronze vs iron somehow works into break factor.

Paas, you get oddities going in the other direction as well. . .such as the fact that if you re-define the calculation that way, how do you stack two negative bonuses? And why do they not stack the same way as a positive, and why does the math stop working up and down in the same manner?

For example:

Dagger A of a -10 material, shoddily made to -5 quality

vs

Dagger B of a +10 material, well made to +5

Via the "Never degrade a penalty" logic, A would be -15, while B would be 10 + (5/2) = +12. . .

Under the as previously stated logic you get A = -10 + (-5/2) = -12 and B = 10 + (5/2) = +12

When you get into mix-n-match

Dagger C of a -10 material, well made to +5 quality

vs

Dagger D of a +10 material, shoddily made to -5

Via the "Never degrade a penalty" logic, C would be -10 + (5/2) = -8, while D would be 10 + -5 = 5.

While under the previously stated logic you get C = -10 + (5/2) = -8 and D = 10 + (-5/2) = +8.

The benefit of ordering the bonuses by scale, is that the logic goes up and down the same way. . .a -5 material will harm the shoddily made -10 quality work as much as the finely crafted +10 superior work. Similarly +5 material will help -10 crap work as much as it helps +10 skilled crafting.

Penalties don't disappear, and in fact, as fair warning, I gave the most extreme examples I've seen in play. . .but having toyed around with it in multiple iterations, I came upon the method that created the least illogic. . .that a master craftsman/alchemist capable of imparting +20 magical and craft bonuses could craft a bronze blade of -10 material and make a 20 + (20/2) + (-10/4) = +28 dagger out of it. . .doesn't bother me. Hence I made it my house rule.

By the logic that eventually an item maker's crafting skill (or enchanting ability) slowly begin to overshadow the materials they work on. . .first at +10, where +5/-5 materials begin fading into the back, then at +15 where +/-10 fade back. . .goes on and on to the point where masters of +20 are the ones who start going "This steel just isn't doing anything for me, I need to improve it!" on one side, and capable of making seriously nasty, if slightly inferior items of substandard materials. Sometimes my players run into some pre-tech neolithic tribals. . .they've learned not to run off at the mouth at the warrior with a jaguar skin over his head with an obsidian saw blade in place of a sword, or a guy with a sharpened bone dagger. . .all good if they're just ordinary, but if it's an enchanted masterwork of low tech crafts. . .look out . . . .

So the masterwork magic bone dagger is +20 and punches into steel better than a regular steel dagger from the store. . .it's a masterwork created by a high level bone carver, enchanted by a high level shamanic alchemist.

Shrug, YMMV, but I like symmetrical logic that goes up and down the same way, and it's worked out quite well in actual play. . .in the end, if it's fun and works in play. . . .all the parts of it together in one place. . .my house rule would be:

1) Order the bonuses by their scale, not their absolute value:
i.e. +20, -15, +10, -5 would go in that order. . .

2) If values are tied, material goes first, then craftsmanship, then enchantment, then other.

3) The first value is taken at full, the second at 1/2, the third at 1/4, the fourth at 1/8, etc, etc.

4) If for some reason you still have a tie (like three "others"), if all are penalties or all are bonuses, it's moot, if not, penalties go before bonuses.

Who knows, ask me again in a year, I might have changed my mind, but that's the best I've been able to come up with so far. .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Paas, you get oddities going in the other direction as well. . .such as the fact that if you re-define the calculation that way, how do you stack two negative bonuses?

I don't know about you, but for me the word "negative bonuses" is weird at best. The proper word to use is penalty and calling it negative bonus so you are able to apply the rule about stacking of bonuses seems extremely far fetched.

And why do they not stack the same way as a positive,

Because penalties and bonuses map to different aspects of reality concept wise. That they are resolved rule wise by addition and subtraction does not prove anything. There is major difference between "this weapon has a very sharp edge because of material or skill bonus" and "this dagger is unable to hold a sharp edge due to inferior material". The argument for limiting stacking of bonuses is very much since we can agree that it makes sense there is an optimum edge possible for a weapon. The reason to not scale down penalties is very much also logical. Why should there be a limit on how bad weapon you can make?

and why does the math stop working up and down in the same manner?

Why should it?

SNIP
Via the "Never degrade a penalty" logic, C would be -10 + (5/2) = -8, while D would be 10 + -5 = 5.

It totally beats me why you half the +5 bonus...proper application of limit stacking of positive bonuses but leave penalties alone would give -5 and +5 in net bonus since there is only one bonus around.

You are free to do what ever you want, but I firmly believe that penalties should be left untouched for best balance.
/Pa Staav

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
It's just a house rule, feel free to change it as you desire. . .the examples given demonstrate how the math breaks down going up and down resulting in odd variations. . .if you were to toss in further modifications via an enchantment (or curse) giving a bonus/malus it gets more complicated but you retain the same issues.

In my mind, if you have two daggers

dagger E is of cruddy material -10, sloppily made -15, and cursed -20

vs

dagger F is of superior material +10, finely made +15, and enchanted +20

It's my opinion that however a GM chooses to calculate the final bonuses of those two daggers, they should be mirror images of each other, with one being a bonus, the other a penalty. -10 material is as worse than average as +10 materials are better than average, -15 craftsmanship is as worse than average as +15 is better than average, and a -20 curse is as qualitatively bad as a +20 bonus enchantment is good. I don't see why either should be handled any differently in how they end up being applied, calculated or stacked.

We may merely differ on that opinion, in which case, I doubt either of us will convince the other, nor is there any need to, since there's no "right" answer. . .merely the answer that's right for us personally.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
negative bonuses

IMO, there is no such thing as a "negative bonus", since the two words essentially cancel each other out.

There are Negative Modifiers, and there are Penalties.

IMO, the option/rule of halving bonuses beyond the first applies only to bonuses, and cannot be applied to penalties (negative modifiers). Nor should a negative modifier ever be considered to be a bonus of any sort in regards to this halving option.

So those examples that say "-10 + (5/2) = -8" would be incorrect. It would be "-10 + 5 = -5" or if dealing with multiple larger bonuses, more like "-10 + 20 + (10/2) = +15"

You are free to do what ever you want, but I firmly believe that penalties should be left untouched for best balance.

Paastav, I fully agree with you on this point.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »
Whatever works in the games you run and play in, you should go with. If the GM isn't comfortable with a rule, it's going to mess with their fun.

To me, having Dagger E be -45, while Dagger F was +32 would seem off. If you prefer otherwise for the games you run, then go for it. In the end, having fun playing the game is the most important thing, the rest is just details.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
Completely from the peanut gallery....

Why would you reduce the stacking of bonuses, but not reduce the stacking of penalties?

Why not have the highes bonus and highest penalty both at full strength, and then the second highest of each 1/2'd and then the third of each 1/4'd, etc....

+10   +20   -15   -10   when combined would be  +20 +5 -15 - 5 = +5
+10 +20  +15 +10 would be +20 + 7.5 + 2.5 + 1.25 = +31.25 = +31
-10 -20 -15 -10 would be -20 -7.5 -2.5 -1.25 = -31.25 = -31
+5  +5  +5 -10 would be +5 +2.5 +1.25 - 10 = -1.25 = -1
Note: Rounding may be off but the idea is there.

Just curious...
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
Hmm, lemme see, that's actually a variation I never considered.

It would be symetrical, in that if you took any given item and inverted all it's componant bonuses and penalties, you'd get the inverse final result. . .so workable on that standard

My only issue with it might be an increase in complexity, but then, everything new feels complicated. (One uphill of changing a house rule, for me, is that even if it's more complex, the current rule is familiar and feels more simple than a change.)

Likely that would further reduce the overall scale of bonuses and penalties, which was my original goal in house ruling stacking to start with. I liked having every factor make a difference like it did in old school RM2, but saw how quickly that got out of hand with +75 weapons.

I'll need to consider it, but that might actually give a version without the flip oddity in play. . . .methinks it's worthy of trying out.

(And I said check back in a year and I might have a different version. . .was that in 2009?)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
Why would you reduce the stacking of bonuses, but not reduce the stacking of penalties?

I could some rationales for using the same option on penalties (with other penalties), keeping the process separate from bonuses (and then just combine the result of each set).

Not something I would personally do (but then again, I would never slap three major penalties on an item either  ;D  one is usually more than enough, and I usually just use the largest one and leave it at that).

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Understood - but considering the example that LM used.

dagger E is of cruddy material -10, sloppily made -15, and cursed -20

This would result in -20 -15/2 -10/4 = -30  (-20 -7.5 -2.5)

Otherwise it ends up at -45 if you don't reduce the penalties.  Per your other reply you stated:
IMO, the option/rule of halving bonuses beyond the first applies only to bonuses,

I was simply trying to understand why you penalize bonuses with reductions, but don't reduce penalties.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Completely from the peanut gallery....

Why not have the highes bonus and highest penalty both at full strength, and then the second highest of each 1/2'd and then the third of each 1/4'd, etc....

+10   +20   -15   -10   when combined would be  +20 +5 -15 - 5 = +5
+10 +20  +15 +10 would be +20 + 7.5 + 2.5 + 1.25 = +31.25 = +31
-10 -20 -15 -10 would be -20 -7.5 -2.5 -1.25 = -31.25 = -31
+5  +5  +5 -10 would be +5 +2.5 +1.25 - 10 = -1.25 = -1
Note: Rounding may be off but the idea is there.

Just curious...

I was just thinking about posting that you should deal with the positive mods and then the negative mods separately with the formula. But it seems you beat me to it, TJones67 and with an example none the less.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
It seemed to make sense to me, but then again I don't generally play RMSS/FRP so I wasn't sure if there was a reason why the idea wouldn't work... Now that I tossed it out there I'll return to the peanut gallery.  Glad to see others were thinking along the same lines....

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
IMO it is a good way to do things and how I deal with some math problems myself. Deal with the positive formulas first then deal with the negative formulas next.

Chime in anytime as ideas and comments from one system can help the other.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
MB, That'd still be a house rule. . .essentially, as is, quality only matters if it exceeds material, the moment a lump of Laen is sufficiently dagger like for the GM to move it onto the dagger table, it's at it's laen materials bonus, until the craftsmanship bonus exceeds the laen material bonus . . .and a +10 quality bronze dagger is just as good as a +10 quality iron dagger, unless material quality bronze vs iron somehow works into break factor.

It isn't a house rule at all.  You are making the house rule making by making the assumption that a dagger-like hunk of lane is equivalent to a dagger.  What I am saying, much like modifying AL charts for 'non-standard' weapons, is that the lump of laen is not a dagger until it is crafted into a dagger and as such does not qualify for the full benefits of the dagger table.

Another example would be using a hunk of laen as a club gaining the full +20 material bonus without having to worry about any type of crafting at all.  However is that hunk is very off balance then I would have no problem at all applying an OB penalty then adding the material bonus.

You could also take a different approach all together.  According to RAW, you need incredibly high level magic spells to make/work laen in addition to the enchantment spells.  Likewise the smithing/crafting maneuver itself is incredibly difficult.  As such IMO I don't think it a stretch at all to simply assume the crafting benefits are already included in the weapon properties.  In other words, by the rules, it is impossible to make a poorly crafted laen weapon simply because its creation requirements demand perfection.

Similarly according to the RAW (the Treasure Companion) the higher enchantment spells require high material bonus, +25 magic requires a +20 material bonus for example, making it impossible, except via GM's option, to create a +25 bronze or bone weapon.

I am also trying to figure out where these +15 or +20 craftsmanship bonuses are coming from.  If such things are possible it makes enchanting items pretty silly since you don't need any spells or special materials.  Instead you just need a really good craftsman who could make the equivalent of a mithril sword out of bronze.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:58 AM »
Quality bonus arises out of crafting. . .In the real world, even if made of the same metal, an "average" quality Katana, vs a masterwork of a famous master smith. . .the masterwork was far superior to the average work. . .and a masterwork sword could command princely prices. (Same for just about any era or nation for armor and weapons.)

Skip the laen, and move it back onto less complex materials.

If only the highest bonus matters, and never stacks:

Dagger Alpha is +0 Iron and +0 quality

Dagger Beta is +10 Steel and +0 quality

Alpha is +0, and Beta is +10, but it's easy at +0. . .

Dagger Gamma is +0 Iron and +10 Quality

Dagger Delta is +10 Steel and +10 Quality

Dagger Epsilon is +10 Steel and +15 Quality

Per the no stacking rule, you get Gamma at +10, Delta at +10 and Epsilon at +15. . .only the highest bonus matters. . .Once +10 steel is commonplace, quality of manufacture is irrelevant until it exceeds +10. . .I was perhaps being excessive with the hyperbole with "Lump of laen in the shape of a dagger". . .but as soon as the laen is sufficiently crafted to qualify as a dagger, it's +20. . .the quality of manufacturing is irrelevant until it exceeds +20.

That being my personal issue with "Only use the highest". . .I do like the fact that if you had:

Dagger Zeta +10 steel, +10 manufacture, +5 enchantment

You can use dagger Zeta as +10 vs most foes, but +5 vs creatures that require a magic attack. . .that's cool and makes sense. . .but if you have:

Dagger Eta +10 Steel, +10 manufacture, +20 Enchantment

It's +20 vs everyone, and the quality of material or crafting is irrelevant. In fact if you have:

Dagger Theta +0 iron, +0 manufacture, +20 Enchantment

It's still +20 and in actual use, just as good as Eta. . .if you're an alchemist, make ordinary cheap daggers out of a material easy to work, then enchant it.

You could decree that a penalty material always applies, so a -10 bronze dagger enchanted +20 is +10. . .but that raises the problem of why a penalty stacks, but a bonus doesn't. . .why would the material weakness of bronze matter, while the material strength of high steel is irrelevant?

All this thread is house rules getting into that. . .some interesting ideas are presented. . .but unless I'm mistaken, officially only the high bonus ever applies, except in the exception where the magic bonus is lower, and you are attacking something that requires a magical attack.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:53 AM »
According to RAW, you need incredibly high level magic spells to make/work laen in addition to the enchantment spells.  Likewise the smithing/crafting maneuver itself is incredibly difficult.  As such IMO I don't think it a stretch at all to simply assume the crafting benefits are already included in the weapon properties.  In other words, by the rules, it is impossible to make a poorly crafted laen weapon simply because its creation requirements demand perfection.

Actually, after taking a slightly closer look at Treasure Law, I would say that laen would not have sort of OB modifier from material before it is worked. According to Treasure Law, those "magical materials" have an inherent Strength Bonus (which helps against breaking), but no inherent OB mod until it has been worked, using magic. At least I have not found anything in Treasure Law yet that gives the material (laen) a bonus to OB until it is worked.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »

Myself I see it like the rule about limiting the stacking of bonuses essentially is a way to make sure individual bonuses can be large without the combination of them going out of hand. A +75 weapon is something that disturbs play balance unless you play a ridiculously high powered game. There is no real reason why a massive number of penalties would be a similar problem (but I suppose a character that get's his weapon cursed might disagree). For a GM that for some reason want symmetry your idea is very good.

I think at the root this is a discussion about the idea that magical weapons are perfect crafts. That means even if the alchemist suck at making items the magic is around and fix any errors he make. With such assumption and the rule that the greatest bonus wins then you need a second set of rules about the material limiting the magic weapon that can be created else it is possible to cut costs lots by going for cheap material.

If you change into a setting when magic bone daggers make sense then you need to rethink the fundamental assumptions about alchemy so that mixing material and enchantments is possible in a sensible way. Adding the rule about reduced scale of stacked bonuses is one way to fix some of the issues that come up.

Having a rule about reducing the stacking of penalties is something possible extra that would matter in some situations. Personally I don't think this rule is worth the complication...nobody will be using minus weapons anyway so why spend ink on something that will matter so little? Of course individual settings might raise different demands and there is of course the possibility that for some settings the reduced penalties make sense.
/Pa Staav

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Very interesting... Thanks for the response. I was simply looking at the math of it and not the idea behind it.

This may exist already in the rules (not sure and have a difficult time following what is or is not in the rules based upon some of the other responses), but if you did the following it might address the issues you raised in a logical fashion (at least logical to me) -

For each Material define the Avg material bonus, the craft quality range and the max enchantment bonus

* Avg Material Bonus establishes your base bonus for a well-made weapon.

* The Quality Range establishes how difficult the material is to work with. If it is simple and all crafting comes out of very similar quality, then the range is small. If the material is difficult to work with and results can be very good or very bad, then the range is larger.

* Max Enchantment Bonus defines how much additional enchantment can be held within the material.  Some materials are just better at retaining enchantment.

Material X
Avg Material Bonus +10
Quality Range +/- 10
Max Enchantment Bonus +15

A superior made sword of this material would be a +20 (avg of 10 + 10 for top quality)
The material can then absorb up to +15 additional enchantment to go up to +35 max
For extra fun allow OE rolls to exceed the range and max limitations.

A poorly made sword might be +0, but could still be enchanted up to +15.

A fumble result could make the weapon look and feel like a well-made item, but it has a full poor quality (+0 for Material X)

I don't know if the idea is any good... just came up with it on the fly.  If it's useless, ignore my post. :)