Author Topic: Fighting with Two Weapons and Haste  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fighting with Two Weapons and Haste
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:32:54 AM »
When you fight with the two weapons combo and receive a Haste effect how does that work.

DO you now have four attacks?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fighting with Two Weapons and Haste
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:37:41 AM »
I would assume so, yes.  I understand Haste to mean that the character perceives reality at a rate that is twice as fast as he normally does, so he can move what would be "normal" to him, but twice as fast to everyone else.  So yes, I'd say he gets four attacks per round.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:53:42 AM »
Yes, the character may do four attacks:
With Haste the character has 200% activity. The character may now do e.g. a Full Attack with 100% activity in the Normal Action Phase, attacking with both his TWC weapons, and then another Full Attack with 100% activity in the Deliberate Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, thus having four attacks in total.

Since a Full Attack requires only at least 60% activity in a round, the character might also spend his 200% activity doing a Full Attack with 80% activity in the Snap Action phase, attacking with both his TWC weapons, then do another Full Attack with 60% activity in the Normal Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, and then a third Full Attack with 60% activity in the Deliberate Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, for a total of six attacks! Of course these attacks will all have a severe penalty since not the full 100% were used for the attacks, so that this option is only feasible if the opponents have very low DB, but theoretically it would be possible.

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:04:32 AM »
And who ever said Rolemaster was complicated?   ;)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
Since a Full Attack requires only at least 60% activity in a round, the character might also spend his 200% activity doing a Full Attack with 80% activity in the Snap Action phase, attacking with both his TWC weapons, then do another Full Attack with 60% activity in the Normal Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, and then a third Full Attack with 60% activity in the Deliberate Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, for a total of six attacks! Of course these attacks will all have a severe penalty since not the full 100% were used for the attacks, so that this option is only feasible if the opponents have very low DB, but theoretically it would be possible.

Hmmm, I always read Haste as 2x100% actions. Not 200% action.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
We also wouldn't allow the 6 attacks a round either and four would be the max.

As a side note we do however allow under haste, or adrenal speed for that matter, we do allow for part of the hasted round to be used for concentration and then spell casting.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
The spell description says the character "may act twice his normal rate (i.e. 200% activity per round)". You may of course also interpret this as 2 x 100% actions per round, although I prefer the interpretation of straight 200%. YMMV

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
Probably from playing toomuch Shadowrun. As I saw Haste it was 100% action, then everyone else acts, and then you get 100% at the end of the turn.

But thanks ;)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
Isn't there a "Sword Demon" or some such that gets 4 attacks/rnd like this?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
Isn't there a "Sword Demon" or some such that gets 4 attacks/rnd like this?

Sword Demon has 2 attacks by default, hasted they could have up to 6 attack, as Ecthelion pointed out.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
IF you use the optional cinamatic combat rules in the MAC;

With this rule, if your combined OB/DB is twice that of your foes, then every attack you make counts as attacking three foes AND crits may be modified by number of ranks in the weapon used.  So, our friendly sword demon, with a combined OB/DB of around 300, is a walking Quesinart, effectively attacking 24 foes a round, if hasted.  Since a skilled army would have soldiers with OB 80 DB 25, well, you do the math. And remember, the sword demon is around level 20, so he has 40 ranks in his weapon, as many as 120 ranks if his weapon skill is occupational.  Yes, even armies of TROLLS will fall before this monster.

Just some random thoughts.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »
I forgot about that optional rule!
Really nice, does it works only with melee attacks? (wasn't there something similar in od&d?)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »

Really nice, does it works only with melee attacks? (wasn't there something similar in od&d?)

I hope it does! Just imagining a Diabloesque Archer Demon with ~4 arrows/rnd using extra ranks like an Ambush dispensing Pez machine gives me the hibbie jibbies! :o

As for od&d... In 1st ed, when fighting 0lvl critters/ less than 1 Hit Die (maybe 1 rank in Body Dev by comparison..), Fighters would get 1 attack per level. Kobolds, peasants and such would fall like... well... it was pretty sad, really. ;D

OK, I'm kinda sorry to bring this up... it may have been covered before.... Sword & Board Shield Bash while Hasted.
(No, I'm not trying to start something) :)
In the above mentioned 80/60/60 200% activity Hasted Accountant Emulsify setting,
would there be an opportunity to get full shield in a round that you attack with it?

I don't want to do it, I want to be able to defend against it when players bring it up to me. Because players always put stuff together I never would've thunk!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »

I don't want to do it, I want to be able to defend against it when players bring it up to me. Because players always put stuff together I never would've thunk!

Parry apllies to all attacks made by one combatant in a round.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:23 PM »
 IMO the sword & shield bash is just a 2 Weapon Combo Attack.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

With Haste the character has 200% activity. The character may now do e.g. a Full Attack with 100% activity in the Normal Action Phase, attacking with both his TWC weapons, and then another Full Attack with 100% activity in the Deliberate Action Phase, again attacking with both his TWC weapons, thus having four attacks in total.

Does the above example work with mixed attack/defense (OB/DB)?
So, could someone get their Parry with Shield (not TWC for example) 80% Snap Act.
Then switch to Attack (TWC Sword and Bash, for example) as 60% Norm Act.
And finally have another TWC 60% Deliberate.

This way, since DB is first, it is applied to the attacker for the entire round... ??
Or I'm just terribly wrong.... and paranoid. :-\

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
providence13;
 I would say no as the shied has to be in a specific place or places to help block shots not just in a place for a small amount of time. I guess if you wanted to make it difficult you could give the player a % of the shields Db for the time it spent on defense.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Ok, MDC.
In Real Life, I know what you're saying and totally agree with you. Not that I've ever held a shield in my life; discounting old metal (heavy) trash can lids.

But doesn't the DB vs an attacker apply for the entire round? Or does this only apply when you have one attack?
Perhaps I'm making it too hard. It's midnight here. Brain tired.. :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »
Ok, MDC.
In Real Life, I know what you're saying and totally agree with you. Not that I've ever held a shield in my life; discounting old metal (heavy) trash can lids.

But doesn't the DB vs an attacker apply for the entire round? Or does this only apply when you have one attack?
Perhaps I'm making it too hard. It's midnight here. Brain tired.. :)
AFAIK yes but you have to defend the whole round. If you do not then you do not get the bonus. I am fairly sure that is the rule.
MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
Does the above example work with mixed attack/defense (OB/DB)?
So, could someone get their Parry with Shield (not TWC for example) 80% Snap Act.
Then switch to Attack (TWC Sword and Bash, for example) as 60% Norm Act.
And finally have another TWC 60% Deliberate.

This way, since DB is first, it is applied to the attacker for the entire round... ??
Or I'm just terribly wrong.... and paranoid. :-\
Yes, this works, but the parry amount is only applied in the given phase where it is applied (see the RM Rulings page). In your above example the parry amount would only be applied against attacks in the Snap Action Phase. Against later attacks it is not applied.