Author Topic: Teleportation spells in Shadow World  (Read 3336 times)

Offline bbrophy75

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Teleportation spells in Shadow World
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
So and interesting question was raised by my group recently. Just how effective are teleport spells (i.e. the actual Teleport XXX spells, not just long door and what not) in Kulthea given the Essance flows? Obviously the Navigators can do it, but they have tools to help. Would your average Magician with the Lofty Bridge List be able to teleport with any level of effectiveness?

I am curious as to what other groups and GMs have ruled on this paticular issue.

Thanks all!

Bob

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Teleportation spells in Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:51:02 AM »
The way we run things - No, not really.
Teleports are dangerous, and just using Lofty bridge you will have no clues about local flows. Basically anything longer than line of sight would give you a good chance at a teleport failure. We even made our own list of non-lethal fumbles, it's somewhere in the forums....
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
As a GM I try to figure out how many Lays the Teleport spell will cross and each one gets a chance at the party. For a long teleport - From Jaiman to Sel Kay - I encourage ritual Magic and some serious meditation - if you have never been to Sel Kay, don't even try it.

A spell off the hip sort of approach, I will let the lays have their say (roll on a chart) and usually completely drain the caster. If the caster has an understanding of the Lays, then I will let the Spell caster a slight chance of navigating. I try to make skills work for the party in this instance. In some instances, I will let a Spell Caster use a Foci to help them resist the nastier part of the Lays effects.

It is my fervent belief that the Spell Casters should have an idea when it is safe or dangerous to cast Teleport spells and to offer or decline on casting one. Depending upon their level the Caster should have some control over the Spell, during all phases of the spells duration.

I have played in games where the GM locked magic right down. After a while you wonder why you are playing a Spell Caster at all.

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
As a GM I try to figure out how many Lays the Teleport spell will cross ...

Can you point me to the SW references on "Lays"?

I remember the "Flows of Essence" section from the first edition SW Atlas but am drawing a blank on "Lays".

DonMoody

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
Lays = Lay Lines = Flows of Essence

Sorry - My brain is in sugar overload.
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
Thanks - but I usually see that spelled 'Ley Lines'.

DonMoody

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »
From the Master Atlas Blue book, p.54:

Besides the Navigators, only the Loremasters seem able to traverse the world with ease, sailing through reefs and shoals with impunity, and riding the Flows of Essence where the land prohibits conventional travel.

DonMoody