Author Topic: Lurker?s questions about Rhakhaan  (Read 6917 times)

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
Re: Lurker?s questions about Rhakhaan
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 08:08:14 AM »

As far as the healing goes, that will largely be determined on a community-to-community basis. In a larger community, the peasants probably don't have access to the temples's healing magics usually. In smaller, close-knit communities, the priest(s) probably know everyone and will find it hard to say no (and probably doesn't want to say no).

Even in smaller communities, it's not simply a matter of the Priest being willing to help, but being able.  Unless your village Priests are Level 10+, or are laden with adders and multipliers, there's lots of things that a village will need magically that are simply out of the reach of the local Priest that the local physician could handle.  It would only take so many farm accidents wherein more people needed healing spells than were available for someone to start saying "There must be a better way."

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
It quickly becomes a question of economics.
Let?s do some quick assumptions ?
?   The average level of interesting spells (healing, speed growth for large areas?) is 10.
?   1 in 100 is a spell user
?   1 in 10 of spell users are capable of casting level 10 spells
?   The average number of PPs available for such a spell user is 30. (1,5, average level 10, x2 multiplier)
?   1 in 3 spell users have spell lists relevant to the population. 
Doing the math, we have 1 person of 3000 (1/100 x  1/10 x 1/3) capable of casting spells interesting for the general population.  Those people can cast 3 relevant spells per day. (30 PP, level 10). In a perfectly fair world, this would give an allocation of one spell per 1000 people per day. And I truly believe that the above numbers are too high, but let?s run with them.
1 person in 1000. So, assume you are a priestess of Eissa. You can cure a homeless child?s pneumonia and then let it out on the street to catch another bout in a few weeks, or you can cure a nobleman?s sprained ankle and charge him enough money to run an orphanage for a year.  You would probably hate the mathematics of it, but in the quest for doing the most good you would heal the nobleman.
Even in this very optimistic calculation, I don?t see the general population seeing much magic outside of festivals and such.
Note: I think that 1/100 spell users is too high for most worlds, 1/10 at level 10+ is also probably too high. 1 in 3 having spell lists that are interesting also high.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »
?   1 in 10 of spell users are capable of casting level 10 spells

This is definately one of the factors I don't agree with. For me the "average" spell-user (and just about any other profession, as well) is closer to 10th level as I feel the first three levels are your apprenticeship / training levels and the next few are low-professional, then average professional, then high-professional, then expert and so on.

This means that the "average" spell user probably has a couple of their base-lists to 15th so that the majority of spell-users can cast 10th level spells. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean they have the spells needed or that there are enough spell-users to go around - that is entirely dependant upon the setting and how prevalent magic-users happen to be. Except:

Even in this very optimistic calculation, I don?t see the general population seeing much magic outside of festivals and such. Note: I think that 1/100 spell users is too high for most worlds, 1/10 at level 10+ is also probably too high. 1 in 3 having spell lists that are interesting also high.

As in RM anyone can learn magic (it isn't required to have special "blood" or whatever) then I think you would see much, much more magic than your "optimistic calculation." Not necessarily world-shattering magics mind you, but the farmer that doesn't learn a few spells to help out his animals and/or crops is going to be seriously lacking.

In a world full of magical monsters and other magical stuff, don't you think that the "average" human would have to adapt to the world in order to survive? Especially if they are able to, as it is set up in RM.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:57:55 PM by RandalThor »
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »
That?s one of the problems, I see, in general with fantasy gaming.  Generally we use European history as the touchstone so to speak, the terms Renaissance or rebirth, Medieval or Middle Ages all relate to the European experience. That?s ok for player reference, but do the terms Renaissance really apply to a culture or planet that has never suffered though the ?dark ages.? That why I was looking for a technological scale that doesn?t trivialize the lower levels in favor of the galaxy spanning technology. 

I agree, but not only about technological levels, but even how the settlements would be arranged. Do you think it a good idea to have wide open villages next to the "Dark Forest of Demons and Dragons (and a smattering of goblinoids and other unsavory creatures)"? I think not! How about walled compounds? Ditches and spiked ridges? Magical wards? Sentries? All that stuff would be needed when it is a completely real possibility that you and/or your friends & family could be carried off in the night by bugbears.

About, energy, coal was burned in Elizabethan London, it was limited because of transportation issues more than anything thing else, peat was burned even eariler, I believe.  Use of wood as a long term fuel, would be problematic, considering deforests. Even with an aggressive forestry program from an organized government, when would coal become an viable alternative.

Except, that being a woodsman in a fantasy world is a very, very dangerous profession - much more so than the "Deadliest Catch" fishermen of our world. Plus, the forests themselves would fight back. In the massively dangerous world full of monsters, human population would not be nearly as high as our middle-ages population. So deforestation would probably not be a huge problem, and stay that way for a loooooonnnnngggg time.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Bishop Odo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 02:53:13 AM »
I recently picked up Gary Gygax?s Living Fantasy book and it has some great ideas and, frankly, it fits with what I was thinking.  While it doesn?t have a Technology scale, the general logic behind why there would be some technology advance or improvements over the ?historical? models are interesting. 

Some have suggested that with magic there would be no reason to develop some mundane technology to help with the everyday problems of life or at least there development would be retarded due to lack of interest.  Considering, that SW has nations that are organized and at least several thousand years old, I would suggest that time factor would be moot, but as with all thing, to each his own. 

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »
Well SW has at least one other point to influence technological development: the fact that a very-very-very high tech culture has existed there before and have left things behind. (More than one, actually) Even the rarity of them does not mitigate the fact that they are there; any at all would be a far cry from what we have had here on Earth. (I think......) Of course, the few items found could be considered as magic (until a mage casts detect magic on them and it comes up nada).

That said, the amount of magic prevelant on Kulthea would mean that there are many areas where they wouldn't bother to even try to develop technologies - or, at the very least, be extremely stunted compared to "our" Middle Ages and/or Renaissance technology. Even after thousands of years. Remember, most people are very short-sighted and usually only look to the now and the past, thinking about the future was for when you had time to think (which wasn't very often).

Even in smaller communities, it's not simply a matter of the Priest being willing to help, but being able.  Unless your village Priests are Level 10+, or are laden with adders and multipliers, there's lots of things that a village will need magically that are simply out of the reach of the local Priest that the local physician could handle.  It would only take so many farm accidents wherein more people needed healing spells than were available for someone to start saying "There must be a better way."

You forget that even in our world many of these "better ways" were classified as heresy by the church for centuries. Just imagine if the priest was able to lay his hands upon your broken leg and completely repair it. Would you be more likely to live by his stritcures, or less? Not to mention the god/godwss itself standing before you and telling you what to do and not to do.

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »
So you recommend the gary gygax living fantasy book?

I have not read it.

However i think your ending point is that the civilizations in SW are much older than ours.  So in the end it took them longer to get to the point of technology advancement they do have. 

Also with some of the above mentioned math, there is assumptions on the system used if a person was using say the RMSS system instead the amount of pp would be double.  A 10th level magic caster with 1 rank of PP develeopement per level so 6 X 10 +5 (Em bonus) = 65 PP so 6 10th level spells per day without multiply  or adder.  But I think grumpy's model of alot of lower level rune spells being around to use would help some.   Anyway just pointing out the different systems play a part in the math used.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »

As in RM anyone can learn magic (it isn't required to have special "blood" or whatever) then I think you would see much, much more magic than your "optimistic calculation." Not necessarily world-shattering magics mind you, but the farmer that doesn't learn a few spells to help out his animals and/or crops is going to be seriously lacking.

Arms Realm users can only learn spell lists to level 5, and then only if they're willing to spend a whole lot of time focussed on that and nothing else.  (20-25 points for a 5% chance to learn the list.)  Not many farmers will have the time or money on hand to do that.

In a world full of magical monsters and other magical stuff, don't you think that the "average" human would have to adapt to the world in order to survive? Especially if they are able to, as it is set up in RM.

Is it really a feature of your world that the average farmer knows spells?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
It wasn't uncommon for many farmers and others to practice various "magical" rites to improve crops, bring prosperity, ward of evil spirits and such like. In a magical world, these things may very well work. Possibly not very well, but there may be small time magic of a cantrip level.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
Is it really a feature of your world that the average farmer knows spells?

Not so far, but that is because I like to limit who can and cannot use magic - usually by it being a special ability. So if you don't have IT, then you can't do any magic other than use the items that have been designed for use by any/everyone.

I have been tinkering with a more magical world, though, where planting season is this whole big hubbalo where rituals are performed and magic is used (both arcane and divine) to ensure fast & healthy crops. This means that the community doesn't need as much acreage because it's a dangerous world out there and expansion is very, very costly. Of course, other aspects of life are more integrated with magic, such as crafting - from thatching to blacksmithing, and everything inbetween.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
Arms Realm users can only learn spell lists to level 5, and then only if they're willing to spend a whole lot of time focussed on that and nothing else.  (20-25 points for a 5% chance to learn the list.)  Not many farmers will have the time or money on hand to do that.

I had a 7th level fighter (RMSS) that was modeled a bit after batman (really the picture of Lasiveren the dark from the old DnD Rogues Gallery). I had a few Mentalism spells, nothing past 3rd level or so. Those few spells so made my character! A couple of Anticipate spells (melee and missile) and the shadow and silent spells made it possible for my character to be so much more than if I tried it with regular skills.

So yes, it is still of great benefit to learn even a few spells.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
So yes, it is still of great benefit to learn even a few spells.

I never said it isn't, only that doing so is likely to be beyond the means of the vast majority of Kulthea-as-described.

Your 7th level fighter is an adventurer, not a farmer.  Presumably he had access to a teacher and writings (perhaps funded by the proceeds of past adventures), and enough leisure time to read those texts and practice casting until it worked.  That's not going to be the case someone who works sunrise to sunset, is illiterate or at best barely literate enough to read the NY Post.  (Which is not the case for farmers today, but was for most of human history.)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
If you take a bunch of our world middle-ages farmers and then tell them you can learn magic to help, but only if you take hours out of each day to do so, then yes, likely there would be very few who do. But there would be some who do.

But, the worlds we are talking about have had magic in them for thousands of years of human development. That makes all the difference in the world. Even if done very slowly, eventually there would be numerous farmers with a few spells and new farmers (i.e. their kids) would learn from them. They would see the importance of it, and it would be a family legacy. Perhaps certain magics would be attributed to certain families. That could be a cool bit of flavor for a campaign setting.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
Regarding what I posted earlier about people in our world using simple charms etc, that could be very low power spells, there are also things like the Maypole, which could be considered to be a source of ritual magic. Even though the participants may have minimal magical power, a large number of people performing a ritual together could have fairly potent effects. Doesn't require much in the way of training, and people did do them.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Bishop Odo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
So you recommend the gary gygax living fantasy book?

Yes, I would and you can find it on for a good price on EBay.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »

Your 7th level fighter is an adventurer, not a farmer.  Presumably he had access to a teacher and writings (perhaps funded by the proceeds of past adventures), and enough leisure time to read those texts and practice casting until it worked.  That's not going to be the case someone who works sunrise to sunset, is illiterate or at best barely literate enough to read the NY Post.

You don't have to be literate to learn spells; you just need to have a teacher instead of a book. As for working sunrise to sunset, that is very true during the busy seasons, but farmers in most regions have long down periods, where they have months of short work days and they can fill those winter hours practicing spells as well as carving a new set of wooden utensils or retelling old stories.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:18 AM »
Your mileage may vary. If you have spell casting peasants, then just modify the numbers to your setting and you will still get a prediction on how much magic the normal person will see.

Our setting is based on a more mundane version of the world. Most people living in villages will never have traveled more than one days worth of distance, and if they have traveled further its to visit the closest major church. Literacy is low. People that knows magic are rare enough so they spend their time casting spells for, or teaching, those with serious money. A peasant will most likely never in his life experience magic outside of festivals. 

Non religious magic users are looked upon with fear and distrust, as are "adventurers" (People from out of town steal, murder and pillage. Everyone knows that.) Monsters are rare enough so that most people believe that they are only rumors to scare children with. In the cases where monsters attack a village, the villagers expect their local baron to send his best men (men with Armour, and Swords!) to kill them.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."