Author Topic: Kynacs & bonuses, a few questions  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kynacs & bonuses, a few questions
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
I am trying to get some clairification on some things.  Specifically on Kynacs, I have most SW products except Tanara.  In most descriptions these weapons are are supposedly well balanced and made of superior quality be it material or just better made.

My questions is do they have an item bonus for a common kynac set given to a Durananki, or would it rather be seen in the fact that these use special tables and have much better ranges.  Then if they do not have an item bonus due to higher quality metal, could their be superior kynacs with bonuses?  Are they increasing the OB of the user?

Secondly if a Duranaki warrior mage uses his Kynac as his warrior weapon giving it a +5 magic bonus how would that exactly work in.  I know I saw something in treasure companion regarding combining items with superior quality bonuses and magic.  I am just confused and was hoping someone could clairify it for me. My thinking was the magic bonus would only help if attacking something effected by magic, but would use the Item bonus for quality if it was higher until the said magic bonus finally increased over the that point, say when he reached a much higher level.

Thanks for help..

p.s. what would a punk Duranaki look like?

Offline cdcooley

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Kynacs & bonuses, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:33:38 PM »
Kynacs do come in different forms. Low quality (with no bonus) versions can be made from more ordinary materials. The best and more common are made from a specific Keron alloy that gives them an inherent bonus. The Thavan (Duranaki military) warriors are issued a basic version with a +10 bonus. Elite warriors and officers can get versions with higher bonuses (up to +25), but those additional bonuses (at least at the highest levels) are the result of magic not just better quality.

The Kynac doesn't have it's own attack tables but it is a unique weapon so there are modifiers.
To someone without specific training, the standard issue kynac is just a high quality (+10) dagger.
Those (Thavan warriors, etc.) who are trained properly use the Rapier table with the modifiers provided in Arms Law on the Weapon Statistics Chart page. You might consider letting an untrained (non-Duranaki) character use the same modifications but still use the Dagger table not the Rapier table.

Yes, in Rolemaster all weapon bonuses (magical or non-magical) are included in the OB.

You could probably rule either way on the Warrior Mage weapon bonus issue. The standard rule is that two bonuses don't "stack" and work as you describe. The Armsmaster has a similar spell that specifically says that the bonuses should be added together. You'll need to decide if you think Warrior Mages should get the same special treatment as Armsmasters.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:02:45 AM »
In the original Arms Law - Kynacs and Long Kynacs are listed as fantasy weapons. They do not have their own attack tables in Arm Law, but use the attack tables of other weapons with a modifier (both used the Rapier table with mods -- Kynac (size of a dagger) got -5 to ATs 13-20 and a zero mod for all others while the Long Kynac (size of short/broad sword) received a +15 versus all AT on Rapier Table).

That basic info does NOT include any modifications for special materials.

The PDF, Fantasy Weapons -- gives actual attack tables for these weapons. If using these attack tables, then you would NOT use the OB mods given in Arms Law.

If using the Arms Law tables/mods, any bonuses given are added to the mods for the table adjustments.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:53:15 AM by Thom @ ICE, Reason: [Dead Link Removed by Admin] »

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:01:58 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions I bought and downloaded the fantasy weapons, and Cloudlords of Tanara.

Figured this would help enlighten me some.

Basically I was not sure if every Kynac was made of the Keron or just the better ones.  In which case if all Kynacs were made from Keron, having them with item bonuses would seem redundant. 

By the way is there any further information to push the timeline forward in Tanara?