Author Topic: Lunar Map of Kulthea  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Arthurius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lunar Map of Kulthea
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
Hello everyone.

I've had Shadow World books it seems for ages now.  It's definitely my favourite fantasy setting.  Played various--usually most ended up being short term--campaigns in it using various rulesystems. 

I'll shortly be starting up a new one and have been working on maps--usually on whatever strikes my interest at the time.  I use CC3 and have begun playing around with GIMP.  And the results are the following map....

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Rex0013/RPG/Kulthea_Cropped.png

...Hope that link works.... I'll try after I'm finished posting.

kmanktelow--I hope you don't mind but i used one of your renders for Kulthea.  Seeing as you've shared, I'll share.  I got the link to your flickr page from this link...

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7028.0

Basically, I GIMPed (gotta both love and hate the name of that program eh?) your render to convert it to a CC3 symbol to use in the map.  The sun and the moons are from one of Profantasy's campaign annuals--stock art from the program.  The background is an imge I found at NASA's website.  I just manipulated it a bit to darken the bright colours that were in the original picture.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Lunar Map of Kulthea
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »
Hi, Arthurius!

That is really, really good! ;)

Stock textures are pretty useful- with the exception of Kulthea- I just used the stock planetary maps that come with Celestia, for the rest of the planets and moons. (The Celestia Motherlode is a good resource for additional textures for various celestial bodies.)

Certainly, feel free to use the images I've posted at flickr, in anyway you see fit. :)

Got to admit that I've never tried GIMP- I tend to use Photoshop v6- although I do like the bizarrely named 'Project Dogwaffle', which was heavily based on Deluxe Paint for the Amiga. Version 1.16 used to be free, and supported all sorts of high-end effects like optipustics, which was great for creating fur, trees, etc.

Keep up the good work!

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Arthurius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the praise.

To be honest its the first time I used GIMP.  It is very powerfull in what can be done with it.  At this point I couldn't tell you exactly what I did to manipulate your images, but it worked.  I'm definitely going to keep playing with it.  Need maps of the geography now...also need to decide where to start the campaign so I can map those areas first.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:55:29 AM »
Very nice work ! I'll use the illustration :)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »
Nice work!

Offline Arthurius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
Thanks everyone ;D

I've been playing around a bit and have a vesion 2.0.  This is still a work in progress.  I've added numbers for some flavour text, improved the background imagery and increased the resolution.

I really feel the background in this one evokes a sense that Kulthea is venting raw essence radiation into space.  I want to play with the 3D effect that I'm aiming for and I've left room in the bottom of the map for flavour description of the moons.

Here's the link
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Rex0013/RPG/Kulthea817_cropped.png

Cheers,
Rob

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:40 AM »
Very nice work.
If I may make one tiny suggestion. How about inserting a "rod" that goes through the poles showing north and south?