Author Topic: Spell Mastery as %, some help needed  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Spell Mastery as %, some help needed
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:05:18 AM »
I changed the Spell Mastery [SM] skill to be used as % of spell parameter improvement, you can read in more detail here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8115.20

But I have found mainly 2 problems:

• 1) Maybe it truncates in excess the progression, OK that an effect x4, x5, etc. is too much powerfull, but I think it should has a bit more extension.
  • 2) Players can abuse, developing only 1 rank you have a good bonus by profession and stats bonuses. At this moment I have no problem with this because players know that if there is abuse, it will takes few time to be changed.

In any case, I think that it could be a good change use, only for the auto-SM purpose, only rank bonus (like adrenal defense), but using a special progression, and is this progression what I need to contrast with opinions to find balance.

There are many possibilities, like using 5-5-5-5, in other words, +5 per rank, 5-4-3-2, 5-5-4-3, 5-4-4-3, really many, but IMO the last number should not be lesser than 2 in any case.

As orientation, in our system we changed the progression so the last number is not lesser than 1, so the combined is 5-3-1,5-1 and the standard is 3-2-1-1 (the category is not changed, there is a limit for all-skills category development). We think is not good for player's mood adquire ranks with +0,5 for increase the skill bonus.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
Re: Spell Mastery as %, some help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
You could try looking at the spell manipulation (spell mastery) rules and tables presented in the back of the standard system sourcebook: Arcane companion. It has a few suggestions on how you can use spell mastery and might be worth looking at. I do not use the rules from Arcane compaion as commonly accessible skills but rather as skills that can be developed based on ancient scrolls/cultures tomes etc. This way it is neither something you can rely on having access to or something that you can start out with.