Author Topic: 4th Edition  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
4th Edition
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
It's probably an academic interest to most of the people on this site, but I posted on my Dev Journal a call for 4th edition customers.  Some might consider that an official declaration to support Echoes in 4th, GSL willing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw all you all an word on it, since it could mean legs for the line in general.

Bob.

finalredoubt.com/wordpress
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
Re: 4th Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
I read the mail and was waiting for you to post something more on the subject :)

I'm probably not interested in 4th edition, as I'm not very fond of 3rd edition and don't think the new edition will improve matters...

Anyway I would probably buy 4th products in order to support the company and the whole line and so I have a few questions:

When are you planning to release the books? Are you going for the early release date this summer or the free of charge one next year? I know that you were investigating several possibilities for an early release  but couldn't tell much about it. Has this situation changed?

How much would the success of the 4th edition line impact teh other lines?
What about 3.5? Are you planning on completely abandoning it or will you just add 4th edition as a fifth (!) supported system?

I hope you can answer these questions but I understand fully that there might be things you are not allowed to talk about.
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
We don't know about the release date.  If there's enough of a response to this, it will be as early as possible.  I'm still working on stuff I can't talk about.  However, it's a given that if enough people preordered, I'd by the license right then and there.  The big issue is no one has seen the GSL yet.  We don't even know if this release schedule is allowed by it.  If it doesn't come out for months, August might not be possible for a print book, period.  My intention is to release on August 1st.  I don't have enough data yet to know if that's possible, or if a Stage 1 release is even possible.

I have no intention of dropping the other lines barring the company ending as a whole.  If we had a line making a lot of money, that would help the other lines immensely.  That said, all the lines depend on licenses, so what I continue to support from year to year is never completely under my control.  Still, I don't intend to drop them and success of any of the lines would keep the company going.  Eventually, I'm going to need to start working less than 75 hours a week.  :)

If the GSL allows it, I'll continue 3.5 and 4.0.  A fifth system doesn't take THAT much longer than 4, and I have people helping me stat now.  If one line takes off, I'll hire a pagemaker and that will really make the time fly.  :)  Statting and Pagemaking are the places where the multiple systems take the most time.

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:28:43 AM »
Alright, I'm in for all books.

I really like the setting and the products you've been releasing are all very good so I want to support the whole line.

I'll just start putting money by so I'll be able to afford the books when they are ready. :)

Now I hope that the new GSL will be acceptable and you can get in on the early release schedule!

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:40:31 AM »
Do me a favor and send an e-mail saying that so I have you filed with the others.  :)

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:52:15 AM »
Aye, Sir!

Done already! :)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:32:58 AM »
In regards to the thread about the impact of the GSL how are your plans going with making EoH 4th edition books? Purely out of curiousity, as I prefer RM ;D
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »
Well, I've figured out how to get the GSL to work with everything I'm doing.  I've talked to people at Wizards to make sure that the type of stuff I want to do isn't going against the SPIRIT of what they want (since cleverly working around the GSL restrictions seems cute if I'm doing things they want me to do but seem like the worst kind of lawyering if I'm doing things they DON'T want me doing).  So everything seem really good.  Critical Matters will be my market test balloon.  Everything seems really promising.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
Sounds good, glad it isnt like signing a contract with the devil ;D

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »
If I was a company with something to lose, I might be less comfortable, I don't know.  But the worst that can really happen is that they tell me to stop selling books and I have to eat some costs.  I don't think that is any more likely than any of the other hundred things that can go wrong with a book launch.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »
Well I will hold my fingers crossed for ya ;D And if I should buy a DnD book, a book with Crits aint a bad quess  ;)