Author Topic: Mandatory Subskills rather than multiple skills  (Read 1549 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Mandatory Subskills rather than multiple skills
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
In a cunning effort to prevent me from getting on with revising that vehicle table, the alpha playtesters staged a simplicity revolution. The upshot is that we've scrapped the similar skills ruling (1/4 skill bonus) - instead, for certain skills (the vehicle skills, Foraging/Survival, Signaling, Riding, Animal Handling and Beastmastery), it will no longer be necessary to buy multiple variations on those skills. What you buy is one skill (say Space Pilot) and then choose one speciality as a primary subskill. You get that subskill at full skill bonus; the others impose a subskill penalty. A new talent has been created that allows subskill penalties to be bought off in chunks.

Expect to see this in version 4g (the 4f version will not be released.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Mandatory Subskills rather than multiple skills
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.
MDC

BTW, I am playing an 8th level ESP Psi-Soldier in a HARP Fantasy game and I am a little under powered compaird to the pure mages but on par with others.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Mandatory Subskills rather than multiple skills
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:50:52 AM »
I think this is a very good idea!

BR
Juergen