Author Topic: Do you allow coup de gras?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do you allow coup de gras?
« on: September 09, 2022, 01:31:54 AM »

= a death blow or death shot administered to end the suffering of one mortally wounded.

this would be against an opponent who was unable to defend themselves.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Do you allow coup de gras?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 02:20:02 AM »
Up to the GM.
If it reduces mind-numbing combat rounds where everyone is so wounded they all end up missing one another, I used to let PCs mop up combats narratively that way.

There are so many boni one gets for Prone, Surprised, Static, etc. that one should never miss such an afflicted opponent but low open-ended die-rolling does happen to comedic effect, regarding weapon breakage or fumbles! ;)

= a death blow or death shot administered to end the suffering of one mortally wounded.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 02:51:51 AM »

Yes. A full-round action and the character delivering the coup-de-grace are themselves vulnerable (no defence, this is not a melee action).

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 01:52:00 PM »
...just a note. "Gras" = "grease", whereas the word you're looking for, "grace" means (in this context) "mercy".

...though a "grease strike" may be a funny one, I guess. :p
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »
We don't make it an action or even a round.  If the target is non-moving/unconscious/etc. "Yes, you finish him off."

Although, I'm now intrigued by this Grease Strike.  Is it with lightning? ;)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 11:45:33 PM »
We don't make it an action or even a round.  If the target is non-moving/unconscious/etc. "Yes, you finish him off."

Although, I'm now intrigued by this Grease Strike.  Is it with lightning? ;)
It has something to do with bodies and oil. Make of that what you will...

About coup-de-grâce : I think there are historical depictions of soldiers "finishing knights off". It definitely does not look like a quick strike, nor something you can do while keeping track of everything happening around.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 01:02:43 AM »
I've always allowed a certain amount of ambiguity in combat, especially with regard to the apparent "logic" of "always" performing coup de gras actions during or at the end of them. The reason being, is that, while it may seem an obvious action to take, it's, for the most part, it's not as obvious at that.  Combat's are messy affairs, and death is not always instantaneous nor the cause obvious. Blood splatter, Bruising and wounds can make someone "appear" dead, but they are actually just unconscious, or very, very, good acting that way, and also, quite often the combatants simply are distracted or have little time to fully understand the nature of the wounds their previous opponents have suffered.  Besides I'm as happy with the occasional "miraculous" survival against the odds for an apparently mortally wounded NPC as I am for a character.  This is especially the case in larges battle with many combatants involved.... where there are so many wounded and dying that it's often a very confused affair.  My thoughts often go back to watching a rather comedic scene in a chinese film "Zu Warriors" where 4-6 armies simultaneously battle each other, then just after the heroes depart, everybody gets up, as they were all acting dead. 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 08:10:39 PM »
Random thought: would you allow characters to use Ambush skill to adjust a critical vs. an unconscious opponent in the middle of combat? I think I would...

I tend not to allow a coup de grace because it would be so easy for bad guys to kill characters that way, and in the middle of bloody, armored combat, it's not always that easy to find and slit someone's neck, especially if they have armor on. So I was thinking allowing Ambush might be a good way to start to find a happy middle.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 01:34:34 AM »
Random thought: would you allow characters to use Ambush skill to adjust a critical vs. an unconscious opponent in the middle of combat? I think I would...

I tend not to allow a coup de grace because it would be so easy for bad guys to kill characters that way, and in the middle of bloody, armored combat, it's not always that easy to find and slit someone's neck, especially if they have armor on. So I was thinking allowing Ambush might be a good way to start to find a happy middle.

i think you are onto something here...
what about characters that dont have the skill ambush? can they still attempt a quick kill?
also outlook/ptofession/alignment could play a part.
i agree that if u allow PCs this ability them you should really allow NPCs the same to balance things.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 07:30:35 PM »
For my part I tend to allow this AFTER the fight is over, and not during. There's just too much going on during a fight, and normally this kind of thing was done after the battle in any case.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 08:33:50 PM »
You always have the benefit of surprise against an unaware opponent, that includes unconscious ones who cannot be aware.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster